Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Chef Stations at Cocktail Hour

Hi Everyone!
Our venue offers 2 "interactive chef stations" at cocktail hour as well as 5 passed hor dourves. We're kind of concerned about people being able to hold a drink and eat these things, because there are not too many cocktail tables. One option is a pasta station, but I worry that is too heavy and will be too much food. I think for one we are going to choose a cheese and cracker spread, and for the other possibly shrimp scampi or shrimp/lobster in a martini glass. There is also an option to not do any of these stations and do more passes hor dourves. I am wondering if you've been to or are having a wedding that has these stations did you like them? Did it add anything to the cocktail hour, or would you have rather had more passed hor dourves? Thanks for your help.

Re: Chef Stations at Cocktail Hour

• All of our stations had chefs in both the cocktail hour and reception.  I'm not sure what your question is.  Do you want to know if we like your food options or if would prefer having passed over stations?

I would prefer to have both passed and stations.  I love stations.  Also, I would definitely look into getting more cocktail tables.  I hate cocktail hours usually because I can't sit and I'm trying to balance a glass, a plate, a purse, and a wrap.  It gets crazy.  Get more chairs.  
  • I prefer passed apps.  If I'm holding a drink, I don't also want to wrangle a plate and utensil.  Bite sized foods are awesome.  I've never been to a wedding with hot stations and I find the traditional cheese/cracker/fruit station to be really boring.
  • are you doing a buffet for dinner or a plated dinner?

i would go with the more appz route if you are doing a plated dinner that way people are not to full are you having a pasta course during dinner or no pasta can get messy standing up
  • etl2 said:
    Hi Everyone!
    Our venue offers 2 "interactive chef stations" at cocktail hour as well as 5 passed hor dourves. We're kind of concerned about people being able to hold a drink and eat these things, because there are not too many cocktail tables. One option is a pasta station, but I worry that is too heavy and will be too much food. I think for one we are going to choose a cheese and cracker spread, and for the other possibly shrimp scampi or shrimp/lobster in a martini glass. There is also an option to not do any of these stations and do more passes hor dourves. I am wondering if you've been to or are having a wedding that has these stations did you like them? Did it add anything to the cocktail hour, or would you have rather had more passed hor dourves? Thanks for your help.
    I love stations mixed in with passed hor'dourves.  There's always food around you even if a server isn't walking by at that moment with a tray of apps.  It just brings in variety.  Also, I never heard anyone complain in a bad way that a wedding had too much food.  :D

Cocktail hour is my favorite part of a wedding.  Just make sure you get some more tables so people can put their stuff down or eat the food.
  • Another vote for both stations and passed, so that food is brought to you or you can go fix yourself a plate it you prefer.  

I've been to a wedding with chef stations at the cocktail hour.  I think one was some kind of salad, and the other was rice/stir fry (you picked what kind of rice, protein, veggies, and sauce).  I only had the rice, and it was super cute (served in little take out boxes) but there was a line.
  • Weddings in my area (including my own) have lots of stations during cocktail hour- anywhere from 5 to 10- as well as passed hors d'ouvres.  I much prefer stations because you can serve yourself as opposed to trying to catch the waiter with the tray of food.  I should add, though, that's there's always ample seating during the cocktail hours I'm used to.
  • I would first see if you can get more cocktail tables, which should solve your problem.  If not than i would say having more passed appetizers would be the better option over stations.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards