Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

What to do after the wedding?

Hi All!  I am recently married and I just read this article: http://voices.yahoo.com/your-wedding-overnow-what-12533792.html?cat=41.

Its about what to do after the wedding.  Do you guys agree that I should do these things now that the wedding is over?

Re: What to do after the wedding?

• Some of them are dumb.  Once H and I got back from our HM we didn't do anything special.  We just went back to normal life.  We enjoyed looking at pictures on FB that our friends posted but we certainly didn't ask people for their pictures.  I waited a whole year before I got my dress preserved because I just never got around to it before then.  I also didn't go out to dinner with anyone who was involved in the wedding planning process because I pretty much had already hung out with them (meaning my parents and my BMs) in the week leading up to the wedding and already thanked them at the RD.

As for the thank you notes and returning of unwanted gifts I do think it is a good idea to get those done as soon as possible.

• We didnt do anything special. We rocovered from the masssive time change and wrote thank you notes. It also took me a year to preserve my dress.

I was so happy to have my weekends free of vendors meetings and wedding chat.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • JMalettasJMalettas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
     I ordered thank-you cards & sent them out once they came in, and bought a *big* rubbermaid container to store some of our wedding 'stuff' in. I still haven't preserved my dress, (we've been married 6 months), but I'll likely eventually get to it. We've gone through all of our professional pics, but haven't actually made any prints, minus what we sent on thank you cards. (This I kind of feel bad for). We never did a 'thank-you' lunch with anyone, & didn't have to return any gifts. Other than that, we've just been enjoying married life, & regular routine, without wedding planning seeming to be a part of every conversation we have! It's been nice to enjoy regular everyday life! :)

*J
  • Let's see:

1. We didn't take any time to decompress.  We bought a house the week we returned from our honeymoon and dove right into remodels.  We're crazy people.

2. I had all the thank you notes done the week we returned from the honeymoon.  Huge weight off my shoulders. 

3. I didn't return a single gift.  That seems tacky.  I did receive some gifts that weren't on the registry, but I love them because people I love gave them to me.

4. About 3 months later, I did preserve my dress.  I have terrible mold allergies- I was never preserving the bouquet.  

5. A bunch of people emailed us photos, some dropped off discs of pictures, and some put pictures on Facebook.  I love looking at everyone's pictures!

6. We did not have a special dinner.  We did give my parent's a gift certificate for a nice dinner for the two of them as a thank you.  They did so much us regarding the wedding. 
  • We had time to decompress because we took our honeymoon right after our wedding. I know that doesn't work for everyone, but it was perfect for us.

Of course we wrote thank you's, but we didn't have to return everything.

I'm still deciding what to do with my dress, and I threw my wilted bouquet in our hotel trash the morning after the wedding. 

Some people shared the photos with us. I also had every photo from our pro photographer printed because I'm crazy like that. And we made our album and framed some of our favorite shots.

No special dinner, but we also got restaurant gift cards for both our parents to thank them for all their help.
  • The day after we spent some time with our families.  Then we went home opened envelopes and made a deposit at the bank.  We got ready for our HM (left the next morning) and spent the rest of the day decompressing.  The HM was very relaxing and allowed for a lot more decompressing.

Thank you notes were completed shortly after we got back.

We had returns to do after the shower since we got duplicates off the Target registry.  We took care of these types of returns as soon as we could and before the wedding.

We knew a couple of family members took a lot of photos so we made sure to get those and then we started working on Shutterfly albums.  The first one for his parents was completed three months after our wedding (and before the coupon from David's Bridal expired).  We completed the book for my parents five months after.  I want ours completed within the next 3-4 months, before the coupon from the Target registry expires.

I put my dress and accessories on Craigslist 2-3 months after and sold the slip shortly after it was posted.

It felt good to get these things done and to not still have them on a to do list.

• We went to Europe for three weeks after our wedding - which was absolutely fantastic!  I will say it was a WONDERFUL feeling to get back home and not have the big pile of wedding stuff that had been collecting in our living room.  We just took the time to hang out with our pup and get back into the swing of things. The good thing was we had winterized the house before we left for Europe so we didn't have any house stuff to do.

As for preserving my dress...not quite sure what I'm doing with that.  Thank you cards were sent before we left so I didn't have to worry about that.  The only thing that I haven't done - is change my name with my bank (they require a notarized xeroxed copy of my new license - and I haven't gotten around to the notary) and changing my passport - need to get on that so my free window doesn't close.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards