Honeymoon Discussions

What to do in Cape Cod/Boston?

We are going to cape cod for our honeymoon at the beginning of August. My fiancés grandparents own a rental property on the beach that they offered to let us use if we wanted. Before the offer we weren't even going to have a honeymoon because we just didn't have the money, so I am very excited about this opportunity!! Anybody know of any really fun things to do in the cape cod area? We will probably head to Boston for a day too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What to do in Cape Cod/Boston?

• 16maybeless16maybeless member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    The Cape is an awesome place in the summer! We go every year. 

First, what town are you staying in? The beaches, bars, and restaurants are different from town to town. (If you're staying near Hyannis/Osterville/mid-Cape, you should probably go to the Naked Oyster. One of my favorite raw bars.) There are great beaches all over, but in August, they'll be fairly crowded. Some house rentals come with private-beach access, which can be clutch. Otherwise, Breakwater Beach (Brewster) and Sandy Neck (Barnstable) are good beaches; Sandy Neck is huge.

In Boston, you should check out the MFA, the Aquarium (do a whale-watching cruise if you have the chance), the Public Garden, the Common, and Newbury Street. I don't love the duck-boat tours, but some people do (most of what you see, you can do on foot). Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market is a bit touristy (there's not much history there, but ... there's a Gap, I guess?) The North End can be crazy crowded, but there are good restaurants (Neptune, Mare). And Fenway shouldn't be missed, even if you just take a daytime tour. It's a wonderful ball park.

My favorite thing to do is to go to a market called Savenor's near Charles/MGH on the Red Line. Grab some cheeses or things to make sandwiches, then take a little picnic to the Esplanade. You can people-watch, go sailing, or just lay out in the sun.

Pro-tip, Cape traffic is absolutely terrible. You will likely want to drive there on a weekday, during an off hour, so you don't get stuck on the Bourne Bridge until the end of time.
  • Things to do in Cape Cod (and you should be able to find prices for things online so you can plan based on your budget)

• Duck tours (mobile vehicles that do land/water tours)
    • Ferry ride to Martha's Vineyard (cheaper & faster if you leave from woodshole) - Take a bus tour there to get a great tour of the island, it is actually quiet sizeable, they also offer bike & scooter rentals.
    • Ferry ride to Nantucket
    • Provincetown is a fun town to walk around and see cute shops & the beach. There is a lighthouse you can go up & a winery on the way there. Also a great area to catch boats for whale watching
    • A must is stopping at Three c's ice cream
    • Scenic train ride around cape
    • If you are into ghost stories, google ghost walk barnstable, there is a group that does regular walks telling you the history of the area and sometime ghosts have been seen (we didn't have any luck but still enjoyed the walk in the area and learning the history)
    • There is now a train that goes from Boston to Hyannis and is suppose to be a scenic & affordable way to get from the cape to boston & back if you don't want to deal with the drive
    • In hyannis there are boat tours of different types you can do, ones of the area, or a romantic sunset cruise on a large sailboat or catamaran
    • The JFK musuem is a good rainy day activity to fill an hour or two
    • Walking through hyannis main street is fun, lot of good places to eat & shop & mini golf too
    • If you are into motorcycles you can rent harleys for the day in Buzzards Bay
    • The canal in buzzards bay area is great for a nice long walk/run/bike ride
    • A relaxing drive down 6a which runs along the north side of the cape is nice, lots of hidden gems for resturants and shops on that route
    • If you are into gardening, there is a beautiful garden (sorry can't remember the name of the place) in Sandwich
    • And of course, there are always the many beautiful beaches there (just watch out, some beaches charge a fee to enter)
    • More towards Dennis you'll find lots of miniture golf places

Good luck & hope you have a great time!!!

• I love the bike paths in Cape Cod too. You can rent bikes and go for miles along beaches. And Provincetown "p-town" is fun at nighttime. Large gay community, very lively, artsy, fun,
  • I forgot to mention, start watching Groupon for Boston for some great deals on food & activites while you go visit the area. No reason not to save money when you can. :)

• Definetly do Fenway if you go to Boston! Even if you cant catch a Sox game, daytime tours of the park are offered. If you are in Boston on a game day, try and hit up Lansdowne St and Yawkey Way. The atmosphere outside Fenway is great and a lot of fun! Go early and try to grab a seat at The Bleacher Bar, a bar INSIDE the bleachers that gives you a fantastic view of the field.

The North End is nice and really romantic but does get crowded quickly. Dine outside if you have the chance and people watch!

The New England Aquarium or the Boston Museum of Science are fun but are also children/family friendly.

Duck tours are also a possibility but not something I'd recommend if you're pressed for time. I personally would much rather explore the city on my own, but you may enjoy the experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards