Moms and Maids
Options

Alternatives to Bridesmaids Dresses

I am a fairly young bride (23) and so my maids are also young. I want to be sensitive to that and the fact that we're all on tight budgets.  They are all ok with 100$ dresses we've looked at, but I really like the idea of something they can ACTUALLY wear again. Recently I've started thinking about separates.  I'm planning a June wedding with dark purple as my main color.

I'm looking for advice on skirt/top color combinations so that what my maids buy will be actual contributions to their wardrobes, or any other advice about how to do this.

Re: Alternatives to Bridesmaids Dresses

• Options

I am a fairly young bride (23) and so my maids are also young. I want to be sensitive to that and the fact that we're all on tight budgets.  They are all ok with 100$ dresses we've looked at, but I really like the idea of something they can ACTUALLY wear again. Recently I've started thinking about separates.  I'm planning a June wedding with dark purple as my main color.

I'm looking for advice on skirt/top color combinations so that what my maids buy will be actual contributions to their wardrobes, or any other advice about how to do this.

I would look into department stores first.  Many of them you can sort by price and color.  I found a great purple cocktail dress at Macys this time 2 years ago on clearance for $40.

If you really want to do the skirt/top combo.  Ask them what stores they like to shop in regularly.  Then just start checking out their websites.  Something that would probably get worn again, would be to stick to a nuetral pencil skirt to pair with the purple top.

• Options
    Did you talk to the BMs about this? Sometimes a dress is just as easy to reuse. I LOVE wearing dresses though. I think it may be even harder to find a top and a skirt that would look good on all of them. If you go this route, I'd do black or grey skirts. Although, I'd go with a grey in June, vice a black. Maybe linen? A pencil type skirt or an aline skirt they can wear to work might be nice if you really want it to be a wardrobe contribution. You could do it with a purple blouse. I'd still vote for dress though. There are a ton of cute purple inexpensive sundresses out there.
  • Options
    My girls got their dresses at Macy's for about $60.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    To be completely honest... If you really want them to be able to use the dress again then give them a color and let them get whatever they want. It's the easiest option they will spend their money one something they want.

I told my girls to get a black dress. That was it. Just had to be black and nothing blingy on it. Two girls
    Got clearance dresses from Macy's (I'm actually borrowing one the dresses for a wedding next month) and two of my other girls wore their dresses
    To two weddings before mine.
  • Options
    SJM7538 said:
    To be completely honest... If you really want them to be able to use the dress again then give them a color and let them get whatever they want. It's the easiest option they will spend their money one something they want. 
    This. Give them a color and let them choose. Some might choose dresses, some might choose separates, or even a blouse and pants. Turning it over to them is the best way to let them buy something they'll wear again.
  • Options
    If you want to save some cash, stay away from anything that has the word "bridesmaid" in front of it! A dress will sell for $50 until they declare it a "bridesmaid dress", then the price doubles. Pick a color and fabric family that can be easily found for the season. For a June wedding, finding a plum chiffon dress probably wouldn't be difficult at a department store. Just remember they don't have to match, just coordinate. You could even have them in varying shades of purple (I think that would be beautiful)
  • Options
    My BM dresses were from Target -- $55 -- and in their 'cocktail' section. All three of my BMs have re-worn the dress at least once since my October wedding.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Bubblegum5586Bubblegum5586 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2014
    I had a skirt/top combo from being a BM once... and I never wore it again. I agree with PP that a dress they pick out (with your guidelines) are more likely to wear again. 

It looks like David's bridal has a sale going on right now with A LOT of dresses under $100. Give them the shade and length you like (and possibly material) and have them pick a dress they love! One of my BMs wore her dress 2 weeks after my wedding to another wedding!

ETA: also - as a BM if I know I get to pick out my OWN dress, my budget may go up knowing that I will wear it again.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards