Flowers

Maximize a Budget

I am currently trying to find a florist that can work within my tight budget for our May 31 wedding.  I have two appointments this week, and am trying to get some idea of what to expect before I go in.

I've been reading up on the subject and have seen some good tips (like choosing flowers that are in season, no big shocker there), but I've also been finding some conflicting information on how best to maximize my budget.  Some sites say to stay away from expensive flowers like peonies and hydrangeas, while others say that those are good options because while they may be more expensive per stem, they are larger and therefore one needs to buy fewer stems overall.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Which is truly the best strategy?

Also, apart from carnations, does anyone know which types of flowers are generally less expensive?  I live in Michigan if that helps at all.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Maximize a Budget

• nebullama said:
    I am currently trying to find a florist that can work within my tight budget for our May 31 wedding.  I have two appointments this week, and am trying to get some idea of what to expect before I go in.

I've been reading up on the subject and have seen some good tips (like choosing flowers that are in season, no big shocker there), but I've also been finding some conflicting information on how best to maximize my budget.  Some sites say to stay away from expensive flowers like peonies and hydrangeas, while others say that those are good options because while they may be more expensive per stem, they are larger and therefore one needs to buy fewer stems overall.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Which is truly the best strategy?

Also, apart from carnations, does anyone know which types of flowers are generally less expensive?  I live in Michigan if that helps at all.
    I ended up going with the bigger flowers since I don't need as many of them. I went with hydrangeas and tulips (I think) 
  • I think the best way to maximize your budget is to trust your florist and work with her and be flexible. Let her know that you have a tight budget, show her the types of flowers you like, and let her suggest how to accomplish that look within your budget. 

For example, I really like peonies but didn't want to pay for them, so my florist suggested garden roses, which have a similar ruffled, full look. Depending on what you want, it might be better to go with more cheap flowers or fewer expensive flowers, and an experienced florist should be able to guide you.
  • One tip my florists gave me is to get extra vases for the bridal party table and then your bridesmaids can leave their bouquets in the vases (they won't be holding them at the reception anyways) so that it adds something to their table!
  • I am doing hydrangeas as well.  They are much puffier, so you need very few of them.  i think hydrangeas are actually really cheap flowers.  They are not always optimum for really hot climates, as they like to drink a lot of water, and will wilt if they do not get enough.  I am doing tall centerpieces and will only need 5 stems of hydrangeas, mixed with curly willow branches and some large green leaves puts my centerpieces at $50 each.  You could spend even less money on floating vases with two roses and a couple of floating candles.  Talk to your florist. Professionals will always try to work within the bride's budget.
  • I am doing hydrangeas as well.  They are much puffier, so you need very few of them.  i think hydrangeas are actually really cheap flowers.  They are not always optimum for really hot climates, as they like to drink a lot of water, and will wilt if they do not get enough.  I am doing tall centerpieces and will only need 5 stems of hydrangeas, mixed with curly willow branches and some large green leaves puts my centerpieces at $50 each.  You could spend even less money on floating vases with two roses and a couple of floating candles.  Talk to your florist. Professionals will always try to work within the bride's budget.
    I agree.  They really aren't as expensive as people think.  Same with roses.  Since they are such a prevalent and easily accessible flower then they aren't expensive.  The only time they get expensive is around valentines day when the demand exceeds the supply.

• Thank you everyone for your responses. This was very helpful. I had a couple of bad experiences with florists which had me rather discouraged. I met with one who quoted me more than $1600 over the budget I discussed with her (and had half of the colors completely wrong), then another who had me fill out a pre-consultation form. She told me that she couldn't work with me, and basically said I would need to spend at least $2,200 or settle for the tacky carnation arrangements "that another florist might do."

Both times I tried to give them an idea of what I liked, but stressed that I was open to their suggestions to make my budget work. I was beginning to wonder if I was doing something wrong. As it turns out the only thing I was doing wrong was talking to the wrong florists.

At long last I have made a deposit with a great florist, a best of TK pick even, and am really excited. You guys were right, they were able to guide me, and I get my hydrangeas. <3
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards