South Carolina-Charleston
Options

HELP! Francis Marion or Mills House Reception?!

Hey fellow brides-to-be! I'm totally torn about where to have our reception. Do we go with the Francis Marion in their Colonial Ballroom? Or the Mills House in their Signer's Ballroom? Help! If you have any ideas about what is "nicer" especially for impressions of out of towners, I would love to hear them, please! Cost of either is not a factor for us. I honestly just want out-of-towners to love the overall experience.

Quick list of what I like/don't like:
-Both locations are in great parts of town...so I'm not partial there
-Colonial Ballroom feels "grander"--but then where do I put the photobooth? Don't like that the cocktail hour is in the lobby
-Guest rooms are newly renovated and prettier at Mills House (both hotels' guest rooms are tiny though)
-At the Mills House, you can have cocktail hour on the terrace, next to the pool, very pretty
-Signer's Ballroom doesn't have windows or a view, Francis Marion's does
-Hotel prices are about the same
-Menus are about the same

If you've been to a wedding/had your wedding at either/stayed in either/have an opinion on the situation, I'd LOVE to hear from you! I've visited both. My fiance has not, and I just feel torn. Friends and family say it's my decision...just so difficult. Ok, let me hear it, if you have anything to say!

Re: HELP! Francis Marion or Mills House Reception?!

• Options
    I prefer FM but girl,  you are going to put a photobooth in one of those gorgeous ballrooms?  Not sure that really fits the decor no?
  • Options
    I personally prefer the decor in the Francis Marion, and the location. The history helps too.

Also, look into Shutterbooth for the photobooth. That'll help a lot!
  • Options
    I attended a wedding at the Francis Marion and the cocktail hour area was very, very small. It was sort of in a hallway. It felt kinda claustrophobic not being able to immediately go outside. I actually left the cocktail hour area for a bit because I was so overheated and cramped.  I would vote for the Mill's House.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you so much everyone for your input! I totally forgot I posted this and just wanted to give an update. :) We decided to go with the Mills House! A friend of mine went to a wedding at the FM and said the food was forgettable. I would hate for the food to be bad! And yes, I didn't really want a photobooth IN the ballroom, but it would have to be there. She also went to the Mills House and said food was fantastic and service was great. Much better, in my opinion! And the photo booth will be in their "gallery" hallway, basically, but makes it easy for guests to stop in on their way back from the bathrooms or whatnot. This set-up was the same at another hotel wedding we just attended and I loved it! I think the photo booths are so fun for guests. :)

Also, we're having the ceremony at the Circular Church, so no shuttling and it will be very convenient. Thinking about a rehearsal dinner at Husk or Poogan's Porch...I love the idea of everything being convenient and no one having to drive once they're at a location. Thank you again, and now to plan...well, everything else!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards