Chit Chat

It must be Terrible Customer Service Week. SO pissed.

I brought my e-ring to the jeweler today to have the prongs tightened and get it cleaned.  The jeweler says, "This shouldn't take too long.  It's not that big of a diamond so it should go quick."  WHAT????  First off, my diamond is a pretty good size actually thankyouverymuch.  Second-- even if I had a tiny speck of a diamond, it's still rude to say.

I said to him, "Hey, I have [carat(s)] on there!  I don't think that's small."
Jeweler, "Oh really huh?  Okay well I guess that's a pretty good size.  I didn't mean it's not a nice ring."
Still awkward.
Then again this was in Hoboken, where average ring size is probably 3C.  I'm really not joking.

Then to make matters worse, I got grossly cat-called at Target right after that.  Completely objectifying and awful.  I told Fi about both events later and he said he thinks he should buy me bear mace and a taser.  Taser for the jeweler, mace for the creep.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: It must be Terrible Customer Service Week. SO pissed.

• I agree with your FI lol
  • Oh geez.

We had a horrible CS experience when shopping for our wedding rings last month. We went back to the (reputable) store where we got my engagement ring, and the same sales associate assisted us (who is supposedly their top SA). We explained what we were shopping for, and he immediately said, "Oh, well, I don't have much to show you right now. As you know, all of the bridal shows are on and most of our inventory is there. And obviously, we focus on necklaces and earrings for the Christmas season, so no one in the industry will have stocked up on rings since October hahaha" (um, what?)

We pressed to see what they did have available, and there really wasn't much. I told him I wanted something a little different and I don't care if it doesn't match my e-ring exactly, or if it sits flush. All he showed me were rings that had the same beading, diamond shape, etc and that fit against my ring. After 3, I told him he wasn't understanding what I was asking for, and he said, "Well, you can always have one custom-made to sit right up against your ring." ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME?!

We moved over to the men's rings and he told FI that he should absolutely get white gold over any other metal, because they can never cut off tungsten, cobalt, etc., and he would end up losing his finger if anything happened, despite FI telling him that he plays guitar and likes to work with his hands and needs a harder metal. After that, we walked out.

On a whim, we went to a higher end jewelry store to browse, and the experience was 180 degrees of different.They were shocked when we told them about the other store, and the manager actually laughed about the tungsten/cobalt comment and immediately pulled up YouTube videos showing the pressure points in the rings that allow them to shatter when hit correctly, and the fact that diamond cutting tools can get through them in a matter of minutes. We both found rings there that day, and vowed never to go back to the first store. It actually makes me a little sad knowing that my e-ring came from a place with such poor service.

• What the HELL. Oh, I would NOT have been happy if the jeweler said that to me. Plus, as a jeweler, why would you even say that?? I swear some people lack the common sense gene. And I remember your ring from other ring posts, it is by no means small.

Also, I cannot stand the cat-calling. Do you really think I am going to give you the time of day if you hiss "Oye, Mami!" of "Damnnnnnn girl" or some other ridiculous crap when I walk by? I really want to know what the success rate is for creeps that do that.

Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Ugh, sorry OP. If it makes you feel any better, I spent yesterday afternoon on hold with the post office. Apparently my online order from The Limited was shipped via UPS and transferred to USPS for final delivery, but now it's being held for pickup and I can't even find out where or why.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Sorry you had some bad customer service I hate that.  I got my invite proof's in the mail yesterday the ink was red, like a reddish brown, the color I submitted to them and printed on several different printers was gold.  I don't get it and I also didn't get the fact that someone didn't look at it before sending it out to me and say hmmm... this is way off.

Anniversary

• OP - I hear you. I lived in Hoboken for 3 years and moved in with FI in another city last year - after awhile, some of the nonsense in that town gets to you. I guess I'm sadly unsurprised you had that experience. What street was this jeweler on, if you're willing to share? I'd like to advise my friends still in the area to stay away :)
  • Oh I hear ya in horrible CS. I am blocking rooms and since my wedding will be OOT/OOS for E.V.E.R.Y G.U.E.S.T, closest guest lives 45 mins away and that happens to be our roommate. One hotel told me all guests but maybe 10/15 will got home at the end of the night. When I said that it would be 3+ hour drive and in most cases a plane ride home, she told me that I was just exaggerating our OOT guest list. I called a different hotel and their sales manager said that she gets having a OOT heavy guest list and would continually add to our block and if they aren't close to selling out, guests can get the room rate the night of our wedding.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Geesh. It really is bad customer service week. Sorry OP.
  • Good old Hoboken. It was a million times better before all the yuppies took over. I've had some interesting encounters at that Target. DH is a toy collector and someone tried to take his stuff out of my cart last week. I'm like hello are you stupid I'm right here. I can't say I'm surprised by either.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We are about to book our honeymoon with a travel agent for Antigua (yay!) and we were quoted a lower price than we found online and it included all the extra honeymoon features! We had them reiterate several times that the "sunset cruise on the yacht" was included (super excited about that). Well we get the proposal sent to us and none of the extra honeymoon features were included in print on the proposal, so I asked for it to please be in print. The travel agent called the tour company back and now they are changing their story?? They are saying that it is not included in the price and I'm like uh okay so you lied to us!

We went online again and there's a brand new deal for the honeymoon package less than what we were quoted now. The online booking will not pull up the proper discount price, and the travel agent cannot get us that price even though it is clearly marked on their website and what it includes. We took a screen shot. We're at war now!

image   image   image

• OP - I hear you. I lived in Hoboken for 3 years and moved in with FI in another city last year - after awhile, some of the nonsense in that town gets to you. I guess I'm sadly unsurprised you had that experience. What street was this jeweler on, if you're willing to share? I'd like to advise my friends still in the area to stay away :)
    @mellyD2014 It's Hoboken Gold & Diamonds on Washington St.  They have really great Yelp reviews so I really didn't expect that.

@pinkcow13 I know, I always have to wonder if sometimes this works?  Why else would they keep doing it?  It makes me feel super feminist, but basically I think it's to point out that we (women) are always under the male gaze.  It's just to emphasize that yes, he is objectifying me.  Yuck.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• My FI went to a very popular/reputable jewelry store when trying to buy my ring. He was appalled that they barely gave him the time day. They probably thought since he looked like he did manual labor (which he does, but dresses nicely outside of work but you can always tell by his hands) and was wearing boots, that he didn't have money to spend. Then when they finally talked to them and he told them his budget, they started showing him things that were WAY above his budget. Once he told them he was not spending that much, they said "Oh well there isn't much we can do for you." Except we had gone to look at this store a few months prior and the ring that we both like was in budget so that's why he went back. He ended up going to a local jeweler who he used mow yards for and his grandparents have used for years and had myring custom made! So worth it.

As someone who has worked many years in customer service, I hate when I'm treated poorly because I KNOW that they are trained better than that...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards