Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cupcake question

We are doing a sundae bar (late July wedding) and are doing just a cake top for cutting/holding the cake topper...and then were going to do cupcakes.  If we are having, say, 120 guests, do you think we should get 120 cupcakes?  I know there will be waste and I guess cupcakes travel pretty well, so we can send them home with guests/take them home ourselves.  But...it seems like a lot of dessert to me.  What do y'all think?

Re: Cupcake question

• I would have a cupcake for each guest.  Are they decent size cupcakes or are they on the smaller, I made these from a box, size cupcake?  If they are of decent size then you really only need one per person, but if they are smaller then I would order 1.5 cupcakes per person (so 180).  Just have to-go boxes available if people want to take some home.

And for someone who loves ice cream and cake, that does not seem like too much dessert but rather the perfect amount!

• Thanks, that makes sense...and I tend to agree on the sweets (I would have been happy with apps and desserts only...forget the actual meal, ha)!

I didn't think about the size of the cupcakes...I actually think smaller ones might be a good idea.  I will go with 180 and have extra boxes; any other leftovers can make an appearance at the day after open house we are having in the backyard, too :)

• You absolutely need a cupcake for each guest. And 2 for me. ;)
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieL73 said:
    You absolutely need a cupcake for each guest. And 2 for me. ;)
    Addie is our cake goddess, so whenever the subject of combinations of flour, sugar, eggs, shortening, baking powder, etc. comes up, she weighs in with a definitive answer.  :-)
  • I had two cupcakes at the last even I went to that had them.  They were REALLY good.  

The cupcakes will be at least the same quality if not the same flavor as your cake top, right?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Haha, thanks ladies...I LOVE icing/frosting (especially cream cheese ones or other substantial ones...yum).  I rarely care about the cake (unless it's amazing), but I really love frosting...so I like cupcakes because they provide a nice platform for the frosting :)

The cupcakes will be from the same bakery as the cake topper, I just like cupcakes better, think they are easier to eat, and am not into the fondant icing (see note above)...and if we order this many we can pick 3-4 flavors, if we want.  I like them all, so variety is key!

• Haha, thanks ladies...I LOVE icing/frosting (especially cream cheese ones or other substantial ones...yum).  I rarely care about the cake (unless it's amazing), but I really love frosting...so I like cupcakes because they provide a nice platform for the frosting :)

The cupcakes will be from the same bakery as the cake topper, I just like cupcakes better, think they are easier to eat, and am not into the fondant icing (see note above)...and if we order this many we can pick 3-4 flavors, if we want.  I like them all, so variety is key!

I'm right there with you on the frosting.  I'm a huge fan of buttercream or whip cream frosting.  My baker frosted our cake with buttercream but made it look like fondant.  May yours can do something like that for your cake topper.  Getting multiple flavors is great.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards