Chit Chat
Options

Is this tacky?

Friends of mine had their wedding last year. I know they didn't have a lot of money and thats why they had fake flowers, reception in a friend's backyard, etc. Thats perfectly fine. But I thought a few other things they did were tacky:

1) Made the wedding party play bartender.

2) Took the DJ's tip and bar tips for their honeymoon funds.

3) Didn't send out thank you cards or thank us in person. (We gave them $100 for a gift)

4) The ONLY registry they had was to give money to a website to pay for their honeymoon.

Now that she has a bun in the oven she is blasting all over facebook her baby registry.

What do you guys think? Tacky?

Re: Is this tacky?

• Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    leelabear said:

Friends of mine had their wedding last year. I know they didn't have a lot of money and thats why they had fake flowers, reception in a friend's backyard, etc. Thats perfectly fine. But I thought a few other things they did were tacky:

3) Didn't send out thank you cards or thank us in person. (We gave them $100 for a gift)

4) The ONLY registry they had was to give money to a website to pay for their honeymoon.

Now that she has a bun in the oven she is blasting all over facebook her baby registry.

Every single thing about her wedding was tacky.....and rude!

You never ask or demand your WP to do absolutely anything for you in regards to your wedding. Period.  If they volunteer, that's cool.  But if not, then you pay someone to do those things.

How disgusting to take someone's tip money.  Money that they earned and depend on to make a living.

Not sending thank you cards is equally as rude.

In regards to the HM fund, that is a hot topic on these boards.  

P.S.  Your friend sucks!

• Options
    Very.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Yep, she has no idea what is and isn't OK.

• Options
    So many kinds of tacky.
  • Options
    So much ew.

• Options
    leelabear said:

Every single thing about her wedding was tacky.....and rude!

You never ask or demand your WP to do absolutely anything for you in regards to your wedding. Period.  If they volunteer, that's cool.  But if not, then you pay someone to do those things.

How disgusting to take someone's tip money.  Money that they earned and depend on to make a living.

Not sending thank you cards is equally as rude.

In regards to the HM fund, that is a hot topic on these boards.  

P.S.  Your friend sucks!

*STUCK IN BOX*

I disagree that every single thing was. The fake flowers and backyard wedding mentioned in the OP are completely acceptable. The rest of it is hella tacky and rude.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    So rude.  

Stealing the tips takes the cake for me.  That's beyond rude and/or tacky.  That's theft.  I don't think I could stay friends with someone who could steal like that.  
  • Options
    I wouldn't say tacky. This is flat-out RUDE.

And I agree that while I dislike fake flowers, there's nothing wrong with having them, or having a backyard wedding.

• Options
    Evil people to steal someone else's hard earned tips! Very rude. Fake flowers aren't my thing, but that's just a matter of preference. All the rest just sounds crazy!
  • Options

I don't think there is anything wrong with fake flowers or backyard weddings at all. Some people are allergic to flowers. Others would rather put the money into something else. Thats fine. I just thought they highly lacked appreciation for those around them (guests, wedding party, DJ).

I don't know the details about how the DJ's tips where given to them. I just remember there being a big annoucement halfway through saying if they put money in his tip jar, that money will go towards their honeymoon.

• Options
    Ok, 1,3,and 4 are tacky, but taking other people's tips? That's downright nasty.  At the very least you could (Sorta) see how maybe they just didn't know better about the WP or honey fund, and didn't think anyone cared about the thank you notes- it's still rude and tacky, but doesn't necessarily mean they KNEW they were being that way or meant to hurt anyone.  

But taking money that was supposed to go to someone else is a dick move no matter how you look at it.  If I heard that announcement I'd be tempted to remove my tip from the jar, hand it right to the DJ, and tell him/her to pocket it.  
  • Options
    In my experience if you have to ask if something is tacky you already know it is.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    How did they manage to take those tips? Isn't that stealing?

I definitely wouldn't get them anything for their baby! 
  • Options
    Super tacky, obnoxious, rude, disgusting, and a string of other words I don't care to use. Definitely don't get them anything for the baby!

And yeah, if you have to ask if something's tacky, it is.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options
    I just don't even know where to start. I'm always amazed at how some people truly and honestly have no shame. 

• Options
    I don't think I'd keep that person as a friend.
  • Options
    leelabear said:

Yup.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards