Registry and Gift Forum

Cool! It works :)

Although it's a bit early for a fall wedding, I started a registry because my immediate family said people were already asking about it...and our first gift was just purchased! I mean, my bridesmaids had already offered to throw me a shower so I knew I'd be probably getting a few things, but it was just fun to see for the first time :) I wish I knew who it was so I could write a thank-you now..it brought some small cheer into what has been a rough week.

Re: Cool! It works :)

• If it was purchased at Macys, PB, WS, or CB (and there might be others), there is a thank you note manager on your account that you can use to write thank yous early.

Just don't seal or mail anything before you receive the gift so you can make sure the giver didn't add anything else on top of it.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hoffse said:
    If it was purchased at Macys, PB, WS, or CB (and there might be others), there is a thank you note manager on your account that you can use to write thank yous early.

Just don't seal or mail anything before you receive the gift so you can make sure the giver didn't add anything else on top of it.  
    Good to know! This was from BB&B but I do have one at Macy's as well. There have been a few posts on the etiquette board about writing thank-yous too early and then seeing the giver sent additional items, so I will definitely be waiting.
  • Yeah BBB doesn't have a thank you note manager, which I think would be hugely annoying.

Honestly, I wrote thank yous for wedding gifts as I saw gifts get purchased.  I did check them against the gift after it arrived, but 95% of the time it was fine to have them pre-done.  I didn't do them early for my shower because the big flood of wedding gifts hadn't really started by then.  But by the time the wedding rolled around, we were getting 4 or 5 boxes per day.  I found that keeping a box of thank yous at my desk and writing them during my lunch break kept up caught up.

We invited so many people who were unlikely to do an extra personal thing (distant relatives, coworkers, etc.), that it saved a ton of time on the back end.  I still had about 40 to write after the wedding for people who completely surprised us on the day-of.  Of the ones I wrote in advance, I think I had to re-write maybe 6 thank yous total out of 125-ish that we sent.

Only one guest sent us something way in advance and then followed up with an additional gift on our wedding day.  That person simply got two thank yous, which I think is fine.  

I got them all mailed and done within a week of the wedding by doing that.  It made the 40 I had to do at the very end a pretty manageable number.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  •  I had the hardest time not logging into my registry and peeking! It was nice in the end though, to be surprised at what we ended up getting, without knowing. :) 

I also found people asking about where we were registered, so we had them done pretty early too.

We waited to do thank-you cards until after both the wedding, & shower. (Our list wasn't huge. Around 100ppl). I had thank-you cards with an engagement pic on the front, for the shower, and we did ones with wedding pictures for the thank-you's post wedding. We wrote each out with a personal 'thank-you' to each couple/guest. It definitely took a while! 

*J

• @JMalettas I've been so surprised by how few couples sent us personalized thank-you notes from the weddings FI and I have been to/sent gifts to in the last couple of years...and even more surprised by how few people sent thank-yous period! Nice to know that people still actually do those :)
  • @Aray82 - I know, right?? The last wedding we went to, the couple sent us a thank-you card *months* after their wedding. It was a postcard style card, with one of their wedding pics on it, & a generic 'Thank-You' across the front, and that was it. I guess it's better than nothing, but no effort for sure. (Even more so because they sent them out months after their wedding). Like June wedding, and mid-fall thank-you's. Weird!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards