Just Engaged and Proposals

Ring Resizing Questions

Hi I hope this is the right place to put this. We just got engaged two weeks ago and my fiance was sure to get the correct size when he bought the ring in I think November or December. Well unfortunately I have been having health issues (celiac disease and possibly other things) and I was/am losing weight fast, I've stabilized my weight for the past month or so. The night he proposed it fit great but it was late in the day, I have only lost 1 lb since that time but now my ring spins, slides and comes off with very little resistance even at night. I've been on my gluten free diet for almost 2 months and the expectation is that I will gain back to a healthy weight but we don't know how long it will take. I'm worried that if I get this thing sized down to stay on safely that I will finally start gaining weight and then it will be too tight. Can rings be sized up after being sized down? Should I just be super careful and leave it as is? Are there other not noticeable options?
Thanks

Re: Ring Resizing Questions

• My ring slides and spins too. I'm not quite ready to let it go to be re-sized though.  I'm not sure about about rings being sized up after they have been sized down, but I used to wear a clear thing (I can't for the life of me think of the word right now) on my old promise ring.  I found it right in the jewelry department at Walmart.
    photo tumblr_mfhfonwf671rg1b79o1_500_zps27a85afc.gif
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I worked in jewelry for a few years.  As long as your ring is gold or platinum, resizing will not hurt it.  Most ladies change ring sizes over the years, and have to have their rings resized.  I went from a size 6 to a size 9!  Take it to your jeweler.  (Not a mall store!)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thank you that is super helpful. Looks like I'll be asking him to set an appointment with our jeweler! I don't want to take it off I hope it doesn't take too long!
  • I've used the clear ring things before too and they've worked great if you want to wear it without resizing yet; they come in different sizes so can adjust to your needs and change it if do start to gain weight until it fits again or you think you've hit your stable weight. Just a thought, do whatever comfortable with!
  • I was thinking the ring 'huggie' thing our you could have your jeweler 'weld' in like a little 'sizing ball' that can be removed later if you're worried about the integrity of your ring.

Anniversary
  • Most rings can be resized fairly easily.  But, if you expect that you will probably gain back the weight in the very near future and it will fit again, you may want to just go with the ring huggie (I've also seen them called ring noodles), since it is more temporary fix. I've used them before and never had any issue with them. I used one on my e-ring for a few weeks because I didn't want to give up my ring right away for resizing, since I knew everyone would want to see it for a few weeks. I actually have a couple rings at home that are too large on me and I don't wear them enough to bother getting them resized, so I've just used the noodle thing permanently on them.

• I had white gold "balls" placed in the band of mine to stop it from spinning.  My jeweler calls them tiffany balls.  I think it is a better alternative because it is actually attached to the ring and can easily be removed and put back in at any time.  It also didn't cost a thing since we brought it to the jewelerthat he purchased the ring from.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards