Chit Chat

Soooo what was the point of that?

My brothers wedding was 6 months ago and it just dawned on me that I never saw the professional photos. So I asked sister in law if she could send me some of my family (like I know we posed with bride & groom and my parents). She said "No I can't send any because they are on a disc and I don't have internet at my house, I just use my phone." I said oh, well did you get an album I can look at? She said no. They have one small wedding photo printed on their mantle and that's it. I'm just thinking to myself why the hell bother spend $2,000 on photos if you're not going to look at them or print them or get an album or share them or post them or do anything with them?!?! (I know the photographer cost that much because I inquired him for my own wedding). I guess everyone's different but I'm sure as heck going to have my pics all over my house and readily available to send to relatives lol 

Re: Soooo what was the point of that?

• After dropping $2k on the photographer they may not be able to afford the prints right now, although I don't know their financial situation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    We only ordered 2 pics. The rest are still on the disc or our FB pages. We just didn't have a burning desire to have a bunch of pics printed. ETA: I guess it is weird they didn't at least upload some to FB to share.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • See I at least plan on making a super nice leather bound album with mine..and maybe a canvas for the bedroom or living room..but thats really it. 
    Anniversary
  • I can see not spending the money on the professional album but at least print a few at Walmart for 19 cents each or post a few online so we can see them. I just find it odd that you would spend that much to do NOTHING with them. 

• Eh, it's only been six months. I said I was going to make a scrapbook of mementos and photos from the wedding… more than nine months later, I've got the book I want to use… and that's it. We have a few printed at our house, my mom has some, and we've given a few as gifts. Maybe she just doesn't want to feel like an AW? IDK.
  • We're photo nuts, which is why we splurged on a great photographer. We made a big album for us and smaller albums for my parents and brother, shared some on FB, and framed some to hang on our wall. I also backed up the disc on an external hard drive and got small prints of all 800 photos just in case because I'm a crazy person. Of course I wouldn't expect most people to be this photo-crazy though.

Maybe if you give her a blank disc she can copy a few pictures for you?
  • jenna8984 said:

I can see not spending the money on the professional album but at least print a few at Walmart for 19 cents each or post a few online so we can see them. I just find it odd that you would spend that much to do NOTHING with them. 

They may not be able to print at Walmart or another printer like that. Most photo places will not print professional photos because of legal issues and many photographers have it contracted that you need to go through them for prints. Our photographer food this and his reasoning was that using Walmart may print an inferior product which would reflect poorly on his work.

That said, it seems odd that she has no way to show you any shots.
  • Yeah if they don't have the rights to the prints, it could be costly to get them printed. If they DO have the rights, then yeah, that's weird.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AprilH81AprilH81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    banana468 said:
    I can see not spending the money on the professional album but at least print a few at Walmart for 19 cents each or post a few online so we can see them. I just find it odd that you would spend that much to do NOTHING with them. 
    They may not be able to print at Walmart or another printer like that. Most photo places will not print professional photos because of legal issues and many photographers have it contracted that you need to go through them for prints. Our photographer food this and his reasoning was that using Walmart may print an inferior product which would reflect poorly on his work. That said, it seems odd that she has no way to show you any shots.

I uploaded four pictures to Walmart and had them printed in my Mom's hometown so she could take them to Grandma who couldn't attend the wedding.  I completely forgot about the print release (which we have) and they would NOT let her have them.

I've never been asked when I print with Shutterfly or when other people order our pictures with Shutterfly.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    It took me over a year to finally print off about 6 pictures and put them up in our house.

But you can bet your ass that when I got that disc of photos they were uploaded to my computer and the best one's put on FB for everyone to see.  I also made 2 parent albums to give as Christmas gifts.

ETA:  I printed my pictures through CVS (3 canvas and 2 regular) and had no issues in regards to them being professionally taken.

• banana468 said:
    They may not be able to print at Walmart or another printer like that. Most photo places will not print professional photos because of legal issues and many photographers have it contracted that you need to go through them for prints. Our photographer food this and his reasoning was that using Walmart may print an inferior product which would reflect poorly on his work. That said, it seems odd that she has no way to show you any shots.

Interesting. Now I'm even more excited that I have a friend doing my photography because I know she won't have any sort of release rules.

Maybe she doesn't like the way they turned out for some reason? Because leading up to the wedding she was one of those obnoxious people on facebook with a weekly countdown. So her lack of posting a few is pretty suspicious lol. But I can't imagine not liking ANY of the 500+ taken.

• We spent about $1500 on our pictures.  I got 2 CDs and an envelope (like you get at the drug store) with a print of each pic.  Our contract gives us and our mother's printing rights.  We gave MIL the one disc and loaded the pics on a memory card for a digital frame for my parents.  I did not order an album.  I have not printed one single picture out.  Why?  I don't like them.  They look nothing like the samples of his work he showed me.  DH's uncle did a better job.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We got a release from our photographer, although none of the places we've ever used for photos (Shutterfly, Picaboo, Target) has requested the release.

When we got the images (on CDs), I bought two 8G flash drives and copied them to the flash drives. My parents got one of the flash drives and CDs (actually, my mother did, because my father doesn't care nearly as much about photos as my mother does), and we kept the other CD and flash drive. 

I made a 40-page album for my parents as a thank-you gift (they paid for the reception), which they loved. We also then made a (much smaller) album for DH's grandmother, because we had a free coupon and he thought she would like it (she didn't; but that's neither here nor there. She complained loudly about, 'Why are there so many photos of HisGirl in this album? I don't want to see HisGirl.')

My mother has since printed ALL of the photos -- many of them in duplicate -- using a Shutterfly coupon I gave her for her birthday.

DH and I printed and framed several photos -- I have one on my desk at work, we have a collage frame on our wall, I made another collage for a Christmas present, we have framed prints in our bedroom -- and we also printed some of them and gave them as gifts at Christmas or as mementos (to my godparents, to our cantor, to our priest, etc.).

I wouldn't have printed all of them (although I have printed a good many of them). We got our photos within three weeks of our wedding, and it still took me until February to get them on FB in any kind of album. (Wedding was Oct. 13, we got the photos Nov. 6). I wanted to get the album for my parents and the prints for gifts done first. 

I still haven't done our album, but I did buy a Picaboo LivingSocial deal for an album through them. (Which is also how I did my parents' album and it came out AWESOME!)
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I'm much more confused that she says they don't have internet at their house.  Seriously?  

I don't have internet at my house. I use my phone mostly, and if I really need my laptop, I'll use the mobile hotspot on my phone.
  • edited February 2014
    I'm sort of surprised places still require the release forms. If you have a high enough resolution image to make prints then the photog obviously gave it to you. Everyone uses online proofing now and they are either protected against download or have a watermark. I just don't understand how these photomatic clerks think the people are managing to pirate images that are 5mgb…I think they are all part time photogs who don't know how to protect their images and actually give the brides full images on discs to proof.

That and I can't understand who anyone is willing to pay for a package now-a-days that doesn't include the rights. Do you really want to try and track down your photog if a fire or flood destroys your photos???

But then I obviously have a unique perspective based on my career. =)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I'm much more confused that she says they don't have internet at their house.  Seriously?  
    .... Don't judge.

We don't have internet, but we can tether our phones when we need to do anything online.  Or I just go to a library or Starbucks.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FFIL doesn't have internet, but it would be unheard of in my family. Both of my parents are engineers (my mom programs, my dad is a circuit designer) so they have to be able to connect to work. I can't remember a time we didn't have internet, but I do remember dial up.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It is weird that she just would not want to share them or that she did not print many.  Agree that us a waste if you are not going to use them!   I got my CDs a month after the wedding. We bought the rights, so you best believe they were uploaded to my computer and my work computer + some favorites to FB, and a small book was printed for us and our parents.  I printed some of the favs to put in a photo album and printed the pics our grandparents liked, and when we finally moved the amount of picture frames I had collected was ridiculous so our house now has a million photos of us.  I did not print any pics for my siblings, but my SIL was totally in to seeing them as soon as I got them, and if she ever said hey I want that pic I would for sure spend the few cents to print them at CVS.  We first printed over 100 pics from shutterfly for under $10.  They always have deals for 50 prints free and then I think they are nearly 10 cents a pic. 

Maybe she just is not "technical" when it comes to it and cannot upload since she does not have the internet.  Did you offer to upload pics for her or ask to see the CD so you could go make copies for her?

Anniversary
    .... Don't judge.

We don't have internet, but we can tether our phones when we need to do anything online.  Or I just go to a library or Starbucks.

My coworker doesn't have the internet at home, and some of our clients don't either. It isn't crazy uncommon here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards