Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Can't decide! Suggestions go here!

Hi ladies- FI and I are trying to decide where to honeymoon. We have around 3 weeks at Christmas time. Initially, we were thinking Australia/New Zealand, but we want to start a family soon so we were kind of considering going somewhere less "family friendly" for our honeymoon since it may be awhile before we can take a trip like that again. 

We did 2 weeks in Thailand last year and loved it, but we are up in the air about the honeymoon. Thoughts?

Re: Can't decide! Suggestions go here!

• Options
    What kind of a budget do you have? Are you sightseeing or beachy-relaxation kind of people?
  • Options
    mlg78 said:
    What kind of a budget do you have? Are you sightseeing or beachy-relaxation kind of people?
    Budget isn't much of an issue, but we don't really want to spend a HUGE fortune on it. We like beachy-relaxation, cities, sightseeing, hiking. Pretty flexible!

• Options
    Our pre-kids vacation is to hike Kilimanjaro in Africa, but that'll kill your budget most likely.  I'd say that, especially if you like hiking.  My favourite places so far have been Scotland, Turkey (Istanbul) and I found China to be absolute beautiful

• Options
    Our pre-kids vacation is to hike Kilimanjaro in Africa, but that'll kill your budget most likely.  I'd say that, especially if you like hiking.  My favourite places so far have been Scotland, Turkey (Istanbul) and I found China to be absolute beautiful

See everyone has different tastes because I absolutely HATED China. My mom is my travel agent and after my Great Wall tour I literally called her long distance from the hotel CRYING for her to get me on an earlier flight home and get me the hell out of China. It was way too expensive to change the flights so I had to suck it up for a 3 more days.

The Machu Picchu hike was amazing. I loved Japan- Tokyo and Kyoto. Would have liked to hike Fuji but didn't go in the right month.

Greece was one of my all time favorites. Athens for all the rich history then the islands for relaxation.

We are trying to do the same thing- a non kid friendly trip before we start having kids. I think our next trip will be Italy & Switzerland. My parents just di 2 weeks in Austalia and NZ and loved it but it was a good deal more expensive than my Japan trip and that was by no means cheap lol  

• Options
    edited February 2014
    sarahufl said:
    mlg78 said:
    Budget isn't much of an issue, but we don't really want to spend a HUGE fortune on it. We like beachy-relaxation, cities, sightseeing, hiking. Pretty flexible!

The bolded is VERY subjective. There are some girls who will say $5K is a fortune. There are others where $20K isn't even a second thought.

I'd say that what we did in Australia was not really kid friendly. We stayed at resorts that didn't allow them, for one. The great thing about Australia and NZ are the wide variety of things being offered. You can go do a wine tour of NZ and do some glacier hiking now but then return and do a camper self drive with kids. Same with Oz- you can focus on wine tours and adventure (rainforest comes to mind) and then stay at a luxury island resort. Africa is also a good option. Safaris are not for very young children, so it may be a while until you could get back there. You can do a safari, Cape Town, and then head to Mauritius, Seychelles, or Zanzibar.

edit- grammar

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

See everyone has different tastes because I absolutely HATED China. My mom is my travel agent and after my Great Wall tour I literally called her long distance from the hotel CRYING for her to get me on an earlier flight home and get me the hell out of China. It was way too expensive to change the flights so I had to suck it up for a 3 more days.

Greece was one of my all time favorites. Athens for all the rich history then the islands for relaxation.

So true.  I love the architecture in China, and in visiting 3 different cities, also loved the variety of things to see.  I personally hated Athens (I've been twice now).  I was so excited to go, for the history of course and found that there was really nothing to do or see there (aside from the Acropolis of course).  We did the double decker bus tour and stopped at the Agora and were done at the end of 1 day.  So yes travel is always totally subjective.  :)

• Options
    sarahufl said:
    mlg78 said:

The bolded is VERY subjective. There are some girls who will say $5K is a fortune. There are others where $20K isn't even a second thought.

I'd say that what we did in Australia was not really kid friendly. We stayed at resorts that didn't allow them, for one. The great thing about Australia and NZ are the wide variety of things being offered. You can go do a wine tour of NZ and do some glacier hiking now but then return and do a camper self drive with kids. Same with Oz- you can focus on wine tours and adventure (rainforest comes to mind) and then stay at a luxury island resort. Africa is also a good option. Safaris are not for very young children, so it may be a while until you could get back there. You can do a safari, Cape Town, and then head to Mauritius, Seychelles, or Zanzibar.

edit- grammar

Agree...we're going to need more info on your actual budget before we can give useful suggestions...

...for example, my HM budget is $20k...and, while it's the most expensive trip I've taken in my life so far, i still don't think it's a "HUGE fortune."  I would think $40k was a HUGE fortune for a trip.  But it's possible that your HUGE fortune is $50k.  Or $5k.  So as I said...we need more info.

I will say that i considered Australia and New Zealand as well, but FI could only get 2 weeks off of work and i really wanted 3 if we were going there.  So we decided on South Africa/Mauritius instead.  The airfare for trip is also less expensive than that one would have been, which is an added bonus.  Since the flights were so much less expensive, I was able to splurge on fancier hotels than I would have been able to in Australia/New Zealand.

We have about 3 full days of beach time, 3 days on safari, 4 days of hiking, and one day on a wine tasting tour planned.  We also have two days of open city sightseeing days thrown in there.  So there is a lot of good stuff to do there if you're interested!  And, while flying from place to place did not make for super cheap airfare (we were at about $3,500 each for coach), it would be easily possible to do this trip for under $20k still.  We are staying at very swanky hotels.  there are plenty of more affordable lodging options that you could take advantage of.

• Options
    Some random suggestions:

Vietnam (I don't know, I've always wanted to go there!)
    Bali
    Peru (Lima, Cuzco, Machu Picchu)
    Ecuador (Quito, Galapagos)
    British Virgin Islands (Peter Island, Little Dix Bay)
    Anguilla (one of my favorite Caribbean islands to write about)
    Switzerland (especially Geneva)
    Seychelles
    St. Lucia, especially Soufriere
    Cartagena, Colombia

• Options
    Consider a cruise around New Zealand/Australia.  They let you see a lot of different places in a short time, and are most-inclusive with food.  Drinks, tips, and excursions are extra.  We did this about ten years ago, and it was one of our favorite cruises.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Thanks! RE: the budget. We are still tossing around ideas and don't really have one but are able to spend probably at least $15k. 

I am going to dig around some online and look for some specifics :)
  • Options
    If the cruise idea appeals to you, check out Princess cruises, but I believe their Dec. 29 cruise is sold out.  They have the itinerary I posted about.

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=12056
    http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=21492
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Another cruise idea - check out Cunard. We sailed on the QE2 last year and it was fantastic.
  • Options
    Schatzi13 said:

With the travel time to Australia/New Zealand, it might not actually be a terribly kid-friendly trip for a number of years. I've never done 14 hours on an airplane with a small child, but I don't imagine that it's any fun.

I agree with the flight thing. It was a long haul that I struggled through so I can't imagine having children doing it. Same with our trip to Mauritius and the Seychelles. The flights were brutal, even though we flew business class. It was 10 hours to London and then another 10 from there. The Seychelles are definitely a nice option, but it's not really a lively place with lots of adventure. We went to a private island resort and you are basically stuck there on the island.

• Options
    How about Buenos Aires for city sight seeing, then head to Uruguay for the beach. This was our first choice honeymoon but we didn't have enough time off to make it worthwhile.
  • Options
    Bali
    India
    South Africa
    Turkey
    Argentina
    Brazil
    Egypt
    Tanzania
    Madagascar
    China
    Cambodia and Vietnam (although you maybe got your fill of this area with going to Thailand)

Just some ideas. :)

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Bali
    India
    South Africa
    Turkey
    Argentina
    Brazil
    Egypt
    Tanzania
    Madagascar
    China
    Cambodia and Vietnam (although you maybe got your fill of this area with going to Thailand)

Just some ideas. :)

Um, you might want to check the recent US. State Department alerts before traveling to some of these destinations.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards