Registry and Gift Forum

new dish options?!

Hey all!

I have dishes that I love (they're old, though) but they get SO HOT whenever they come out of the microwave, I am very excited to register for everyday pretty dishes but have no idea where to start.. I am looking for all recommendations please!! :)

Re: new dish options?!

• Where are you registered? We registered at Crate and Barrel and chose the Aspen plain white porcelain. It's lovely, and very easy to dress up or down depending on whether we're entertaining or not. Before that, we had the Macy's Cellar whiteware. It looks like they've redesigned it, but we thought the plates were too big. It's also heavier than the Aspen so it doesn't look as nice on a formal table.

Clearly, I'm a big whiteware fan. It's so versatile: easy to find complementary serving pieces, can go formal or casual, can change up with the seasons with different linens, etc., and it really lets your food take center stage.
  • Thank you! we haven't registered  - we are thinking Macys and William Sonoma, probably.. but i wanted to get some options before we pick our places.  we aren't getting married until end of July so we have some time.
  • I really like our Hotel Collection bone china dishes from Macy's.  The dinner plates are huge though and just barely fit into our cabinets.  We normally eat off of the salad plates...

We have been using them daily for just over a month and no scratches or chips.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We put Noritake dishes on our registry. 
  • We have fiesta, which we've been using for a year with no scratches.  We went that direction because I wanted a pop of color (our whole apartment is beige), and they have a lot of different sizes.  H and I had an actual fight in Macy's about how the cereal bowls should be shaped... fiesta allowed us register for two different sizes.  Yes, we have two complete sets of cereal bowls in our cabinets.  It's the only thing we couldn't compromise on.

Any bone china (Hotel Collection, etc.) will also be very good quality.  Just be careful that it doesn't have a metal rim if you want to use it for everyday.  Those won't be microwave safe.  I think Gorham has a bone china set at Macy's that's a bit less modern than Hotel Collection. I think Lenox does too - Tin Can Alley and maybe Aspen Ridge (?). So you have choices there.

You might also check out the Apilco line at WS.  It's legit French porcelain.  Pricey, but my friends who have it say it will last decades.  WS also brings out seasonal pieces that coordinate with it, which is sort of fun.  It enables you to set a themed table (Thanksgiving, etc.), without having too much extra stuff to store.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have the PB Great White collection.   I've herd some complaints about them chipping.  However, we have had them for almost 6 years and moved 3  times without any issues.

DH refuses to have anything other than white dishes, so  I never bothered looking at other options.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards