Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

I want to wear purple, green and/or blue, but she's wearing red?

My FI is wearing a traditional lava red Sari to our wedding, and I want to wear a 1950s style dress, in either byzantium purple, forest green, indigo or phthalo blue (or even a mix of these colours), but I don't know which colour would go best. We're having a beach wedding, by the way.

What do you guys think?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I want to wear purple, green and/or blue, but she's wearing red?

• Options
    I would think that a darker blue would go lovely with a red!

Anniversary
  • Options
    I think either the green or blue would be good options.  I think the purple may clash a bit.

You could also go to a hardware store and find color swatches in the paint section of the colors you are considering and pair them up with the red to see what you may like the best.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    @shrekspeare Phthalo blue is basically royal blue, but just a tiny bit darker. But yeah, that royal blue does look purple-y at bits. But the red is pretty much right.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would avoid any shade of green. It reminds me too much of Christmas when its paired with red. But I think purple, royal blue or navy would look great.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think you could wear any of those colours.  Here are some pictures of women in traditional red saris with other coloured dresses/outfits:
    GB
    red,gold,white,blue,indian wedding clothing,indian bride and groom,indian bride groom,photos of brides and grooms,images of brides and grooms,indian bride grooms,indian wedding wear,indian wedding outfits,indian wedding outfits for brides,indian wedding clothes,indian bridal clothing,indian bridal clothes,indian bride clothes,BINITA PATEL Photography
    Saris against different style dresses:
  • Options
    Blue gets my vote.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Jewel tones always look good together IMO. Also, OP, are you a painter? The way you describe the blue in particular makes me think so, since that's what it's called in oils/acrylics/watercolor.
  • Options
    I also vote blue.
  • Options
    Blue would be prettiest I think, but depending on the shade of red and what purple you like, it could work as well.

Anniversary
  • Options
    @artbyallie No, I'm not a painter, but my mother is, so I guess that's where the colour thing comes from. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @artbyallie No, I'm not a painter, but my mother is, so I guess that's where the colour thing comes from. 
    Ah, gotcha. My mom is too, actually.
  • Options
    I'm doing jewel tones at my wedding, and have realized that effort needs to go into avoiding "red and greed = Christmas colors" and also "red, white and blue = 4th of July colors". The pics posted above did a great job at using hues that avoid these allusions I think. Just something to think about!
  • Options
    I agree with the others that any jewel tones should go well together.  I also agree with avoiding red & green combo because it would be hard to keep it from looking christmas-y.  I really like the red & blue combo, but I think purple would look good too.

• Options
    Okay so this is lava red: Lava / #CF1020

And this is phthalo blue:
    Phthalo Blue / #000F89

We're thinking of having power blue (Powder Blue / #B0E0E6
    and honeydew green/white:  Honeydew / #F0FFF0

As our other two colours. What do you guys think?

(Sorry for the size of the images, I don't know how to make them smaller)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I really like all of those colours together and they would look really nice on the seaside (very nautical!). I think the dark blue and red would be very striking in the photos as well. Are you getting married by the sea in Scotland (just because you mentioned in previous posts about being Scottish)? Having been up by the coast there, I think those two colours would also stand out really nicely against the green/ slate colours associated near the seaside.
  • Options
    @LondonLisa Yeah, the ceremony is on the beach in Scotland, and the reception is like, 50 yards back from the seafront too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards