Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

TITLE CHANGE! Thinking of scrapping caterer and switching - what do you think?

grumbledoregrumbledore member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited March 2014 in Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
On Saturday, FI's parents told us they want to pay for the food and drink for our wedding - it is so amazingly generous of them and I couldn't be more grateful. Their only stipulation so far is that there be a LOT of food, so I went back to our caterer's packages and tinkered a little. This is what FI is going to propose to the caterer today for a quote so he can hash out the $$ details with his mom:

Cocktail Hour:
Pizza (various types, the caterer is well-known for having excellent pizza)
Vegetable crudité with dips/hummus
Cheese & crackers OR specialty crostini that they do at the restaurant

Dinner:
Salad
Rolls & butter
Prime Rib
Baked Stuffed Chicken
Garlic Roasted Potatoes
Hawaiian Carrots
Pasta Station with choice of noodles and sauces

Dessert:
Cake (provided by us)
Petite Eclairs
Raspberry Cream Squares
Brownies

All Night:
Open Bar (not through the caterer)

******************ADDED: This caterer would not meet with us unless it was M-F 10-3 (and even then really didn't want to), took several phone calls to answer some basic questions, will not customize the menu (using items they already do, not whole new recipes, we're pretty easy). *************************

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: TITLE CHANGE! Thinking of scrapping caterer and switching - what do you think?

• Sounds great to me! I am a very picky eater, and I would not go hungry with that!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • grumbledoregrumbledore member
    edited March 2014
    Or would you prefer this:

Cocktail Hour:
    Tomato, Basil, Fresh Mozz app
    Shrimp Cocktail
    Vegetable Crudite or Cheese/Crackers

Dinner:
    Prime Rib (carving station)
    Shrimp & Scallops Alforno
    Chicken Marsala OR Lemon
    Lasagne
    Potato side
    Veggie side
    Garden Salad
    Bread & butter

Dessert:
    Cake
    Dessert Station
    Coffee Station

This is from another Italian caterer in our area (we have a very small refundable deposit with the other one so we can switch if we want).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    Yikes that's a tough choice between the two caterers, I prefer the dinner from the Italian caterer, but in the end, I'd vote for option #1. For me, pizza is a must at weddings and always a home run.
    Honestly, neither option is as much food/variety as I'm used to at weddings in my area, but to answer your question, both options absolutely provide enough selection to appeal to various guests. I'd be a happy camper with either option at your wedding.
  • Dang, I thought that was a lot of options... I've never gotten more than 2 options at any of the weddings I've been to... Hmm...

The pizza thing was my favorite idea and after his discussion with the caterer this morning, FI doesn't think they are willing to do it (something about it not being a good representation of them because it doesn't travel well - I was like, "um, it's pizza, wtf?"). He's talking to the owner tomorrow so there's still hope but if they can't do pizza, I am leaning maybe toward the second option.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    There are a lot of options. I should add that the NYC weddings I'm used to are over-the-top. Either option you go with will appeal to your guests!
    That's a bummer about the pizza, I thought the caterer was known for it! Pizza travels pretty well so that's a bummer that the caterer is getting cold feet. But option two sounds terrific- lasagna, potato AND veggie sides, and a "dessert station" especially intrigue me.
  • edited March 2014
    What's the chicken stuffed with? The second one definitely seems like much more variety but whatever the chicken is stuffed with would sell it for me, personally. I do feel like they're both missing a green vegetable... could you throw in something like a roasted broccoli or creamed spinach? Maybe that's just my hatred of carrots speaking. :) I like having a lot of veggie options.

• eileenrob said:
    There are a lot of options. I should add that the NYC weddings I'm used to are over-the-top. Either option you go with will appeal to your guests! That's a bummer about the pizza, I thought the caterer was known for it! Pizza travels pretty well so that's a bummer that the caterer is getting cold feet. But option two sounds terrific- lasagna, potato AND veggie sides, and a "dessert station" especially intrigue me.

Right? It's a restaurant that also caters, and the most popular thing at the restaurant is the pizza. I was shocked when they were resistant to the idea.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lolo8383 said:
    What's the chicken stuffed with? The second one definitely seems like much more variety but whatever the chicken is stuffed with would sell it for me, personally. I do feel like they're both missing a green vegetable... could you throw in something like a roasted broccoli or creamed spinach? Maybe that's just my hatred of carrots speaking. :) I like having a lot of veggie options.

It's almost like a Thanksgiving style stuffing - it's very yummy, I've had it. Sage and that kind of goodness.

I feel the same way about green vegetables - I think the second caterer has more options in that department. FI is a carrot lover - I could eat them raw every day forever but dislike them cooked but they're his favorite.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cupcait927cupcait927 member
    edited March 2014

Both sounds very yummy but if I was making the decision, I'd go with the first menu that you posted. I love me a pasta station and pizza as an app would make me happy any day of the week. Even without the pizza, the first menu still sounds super delicious.

ETA - I apparently can't read today.

• I'd pick #1 (minus the carrots, but I just dislike cooked carrots). Just enough variety, but plenty of choices even for a picky eater! #2 almost has TOO much to pick from and would be overwhelming for me.
  • grumbledoregrumbledore member
    edited March 2014
    New Developments: FI has not received the phone call he was supposed to from the owner of the restaurant (the pizza and pasta bar are contingent upon him approving it and giving us a decent price). This caterer has been obnoxious in several ways - won't meet with us in person unless it's M-F 10-3 and even then they really don't want to, no tasting, can't give us a straight answer on customizing menu (I've given most things a pass so far because I have been to events they've catered and they've gone fine).

FI called the other option and they were super professional and made an appointment right away for us to go there Saturday afternoon. Their buffets are comparable in price and have more options included (for ex. beef, chicken, seafood AND lasagna plus sides). I still love the idea of the pasta bar, but maybe they will be willing to do it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MORE New developments: FI got the call from the first caterer - no pizza, no pasta station.

If you liked the first menu more, please let me know what you liked about it so we can consider it during the meeting on Saturday - it sounds like this caterer is more flexible and accommodating.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Third Menu Option:

Chicken & Broccoli Penne
    Salmon with Creamy Dill Butter Sauce
    Tenderloin Tips
    Lasagne
    Potato Side
    Veg Side
    Salad
    Bread & Butter
    Dessert Station
    Coffee Station

The Dessert Station is our choice of 3 of the following (which I didn't know until now):
    Chocolate Cake Squares
    Carrot Cake Squares
    Lemon Cake Squares
    Brownies
    Mini Cannolis
    Strawberry Shortcake
    Tiramisu Squares
    Cookies

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The third menu option sounds delish! As far as desserts go, I would pick the brownies, strawberry shortcake and tiramisu squares.
  • the third one yummmmm
    with a choc, a fruit, and then whatever for the desser
  • You guys read my mind - FI and I discussed doing the cannolis, tiramisu, and strawberry shortcake and then doing a chocolate cake for our cake (nothing extravagant) - that way we can hit on a lot of different types of desserts and hopefully everyone can have something they like.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Get rid of the first one for sure. What a pain to deal with them. I like the 2nd menu of entrees better. I like the carved prime rib better than the tenderloin tips for a formal event. I also like that the chicken entree sits by itself and not paired with pasta, especially when you have the lasagna option. I'd probably try and sub out the shrimp and scallops for the salmon though.
  • #2 would be my first choice, #3 second choice.  #1 just seems to picky, controlling, inflexible, and flaky, like I couldn't trust them to be completely straight with me.  The other two options sound yummy and much easier to work with. I feel like you wouldn't have to worry about them like you would #1.
  • Thanks ladies, we're making a list of questions to bring with us so I will see how flexible they are about substitutions - since FI's parents are paying for the food, we are having them look at the menu and tell us what they like too, so who knows, we may end up with something different from what I posted. #3 is FI's favorite though and the one he thinks his parents will like best (even with the multiple pastas lol).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • #3 just became my favorite menu! I was a #1 fan before because it was a pretty clear menu without TOO many options, but #3 is a perfect in between of 1 and 2. Not to mention, you said tenderloin tips and that is one of my favorite meals. That with some garlic mashed potatoes - YUM!
  • #3 sounds freakin' fantastic. Consider yourself lucky that the first caterer made your choice to dump them so easy on you by being so unaccommodating! I had that problem with 3... 4 hotels? BLAH. But it's like the enlightened gratitude you develop when you realize how great it was that various exes scattered to the wind, amiright? At least that's how I like to think of it.

• Yay! I'm so glad things worked out for the best!
  • Wooo! Customer service FTW!

• kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    trihnaty said:
    If you need a great caterer a call.  It's the best Spanish Cuisine in town.  They cook on-site and have beautiful presentation & excellent customer service. Creates a unique atmosphere for your wedding.

@knotporscha - this poster has only posted 4 times and they are all to advertise this caterer.  Please review for terms of service -
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards