Outdoor Weddings
Options

All Opinions Welcome Here!!

Hi guys! I've recently been engaged and I'm having some troubles beginning. I've never been married before and my family (in the past) hasn't really had too many traditional weddings.

I have a few ideas that I really want to put together but I need some outside opinions from other people who are also planning weddings (and possibly have a more creative eye than I do.)

I would really like a very small intimate dinner party (20 people tops) wedding in the outdoors in an orchard. The picture in my head looks like an elegantly set table in between rows of apple trees, some candles and twinkling lights. This would of course be in the fall so the apples could be in full bloom. (I live in San Diego, Ca so I'm not terribly concerned with the weather since it's always kind of sunny here.) I want it to be slightly rustic and vintage but mostly just really elegant.

I'm having trouble deciding my colors though. The apples are going to be red (or close to that) but I don't want to have my theme be all red. I would like to have fall colors but not necessarily just brown. What colors can I make my theme that won't clash terribly with the red apples? (I'm thinking of mixing some gray and and possibly purple or blue but I don't know if that'll work.) I'm having trouble finding pictures with my exact theme in mind.

Also, is there anyone else in San Diego that knows of a good orchard to look into? I've seen some but nothing that truly stands out yet. 

If anyone could help me out, that would be great. Also, if you could show my some pictures, that would be even more awesome!

Re: All Opinions Welcome Here!!

• Options
    I wouldn't worry about the apples clashing with any color you choose. I think that locale sounds awesome! You should try posting on your local Cali board as well to get more area-specific responses.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I agree with AddieL73 that you don't have to match the apples if you don't want to.  Perhaps different shades of white and ivory with some other colour (ie. green).  Or. maybe neutrals such as brown and white.  Another option is something softer like blush shades with some ivory.
    Some pictures to help with your vision:
    Wedding Decor, Candle Centerpieces For Wedding Receptions: Candle Centerpieces for Wedding: another Idea for Centerpieces Decorations
    Long trestle tables with natural decorations
    Romantic-wedding-reception-table-hurricane-vases-candles.full
    Lush arrangements of roses, peonies, hydrangeas, and ranunculus lined the reception tables. Large candles added an intimate glow to the space.
    twinkle-lights-wedding-reception
  • Options
    Well I feel dumb, I live in New England (land of apple orchards) and I never knew there were any orchards in southern California hahaha 
    Sorry have no advice but sounds really nice! 

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the help and pictures! doeydo, some of those pictures hit it perfect!
  • Options

I wouldn't worry about the color of the apples as you could be surrounded by yellow, green or red apples. Go with whatever colors you want as your primary. I would focus on that the style of reception goes well with the surroundings.

Also consider checking into solar lights. I know target (and I'm sure other stores) had a nice selection of outdoor solar string lights. We have them on our deck & they give off a great feel to the area in the summer.. Going solar may be an easier option for the location you want then using things that plug in. Another idea is to put decorative bags around the ground to help light the path with flameless tealights (you won't have to worry about fire then) Or if you hang things from the trees the flameless tealights are good too because again, no fire & they will stay lit. Yes traditional candles are cheaper but once you take into consideration safety & not having to worry about them going out, flameless can be a good option.

• Options
    Do you have a venue yet? Oak Glen is a little outside of San Diego but they specialize is orchard weddings. It's absolutely beautiful there. http://www.oakglen.net/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards