Registry and Gift Forum

Is my registry too expensive?

I apologize if a similar question has already been asked/answered!

Right now FI and are inviting around 225 guests and we've registered for 200 items with the following cost break down:

$0-$25: 108
$25-$50: 51
$50-$100: 23
$100-$150: 8
$150+: 10

My mom and grandmother are very upset because they believe we're registering for items that nobody will buy us (that are too expensive). If that's the case, I don't mind finding cheaper options to replace some of our expensive items, I just wanted to know based on your experiences what you thought. Thanks in advance for your responses! 

Best Answer

Re: Is my registry too expensive?

• jntatar said:

Right now FI and are inviting around 225 guests and we've registered for 200 items with the following cost break down:

My mom and grandmother are very upset because they believe we're registering for items that nobody will buy us (that are too expensive). If that's the case, I don't mind finding cheaper options to replace some of our expensive items, I just wanted to know based on your experiences what you thought. Thanks in advance for your responses! 

I think you are in the clear because roughly 75% of our items are under $100.

Out of sheer curiosity what are the 10 times that are over $150?  I assume a vacuum and a set of pots & pans...  What else?

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • 90% of your gifts are under $100 and half of them are under $25 - your registry is not too expensive. If the 10 items over $150 are actually over $350 that might catch you some side eyes, but you have plenty of option for people who want to spend $50 or less. No one is required to buy you an expensive gift just bc you registered for it. 

Point out to mom and grandma that is no one buys them you can use your completion dissent to buy the expensive items for yourself after the wedding. The issue might be that they think you expect everyone to spend over $100…just a guess??

GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I think it's fine. I had complaints I didn't have enough expensive items.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • AprilH81 said:
    jntatar said:

I think you are in the clear because roughly 75% of our items are under $100.

Out of sheer curiosity what are the 10 times that are over $150?  I assume a vacuum and a set of pots & pans...  What else?

It could be many things: A set of china, a comforter or sheet set (we have some King Comforter and sheet sets that are a little under 200). Kitchen aid mixer? Le Crussett bake-ware?

• Groups of people can always go in together on the expensive things. You're fine! :)

• I don't think you are asking for too expensive an items.   My FI and I registered for a nice set of knives and a vacuum that we anticipated using the completion discount for and both of our aunts were super generous.   Keep in mind that these items tend to go on sale and people are bound to use coupons(my aunt bought the knives during friends and family and held on to them for months for my shower).
  • I think you're fine. Every couple is different. Some people have a lot of people who will chip in and get a group gift. I know my parents' friends might get us some "nicer" gifts so I added some and if they don't, no harm no foul. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think you're fine. It was actually requested by some extended family that we register for some bigger items so they can split gifts. No worries!
  • ll6747ll6747 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Again, nobody has the right to "side eye" any registry item. The bride and groom have every right to register for whatever they want and the guests have every right to purchase or not purchase any item they want. A guest can even (aghast!) purchase off registry. In fact the most interesting items at my daughter's shower this weekend were the gifts bought off registry: a selection of holiday items (towels, plates, decorations) for each holiday of the year... and a basket of 6 bottles of wine each decoratively tagged with a first (wedding night, dinner party, Xmas eve, fight, anniversary, baby)
  • ll6747 said:

Again, nobody has the right to "side eye" any registry item. The bride and groom have every right to register for whatever they want and the guests have every right to purchase or not purchase any item they want.
    A guest can even (aghast!) purchase off registry. In fact the most interesting items at my daughter's shower this weekend were the gifts bought off registry: a selection of holiday items (towels, plates, decorations) for each holiday of the year... and a basket of 6 bottles of wine each decoratively tagged with a first (wedding night, dinner party, Xmas eve, fight, anniversary, baby)

Love the holiday items! We won't be able to register for Christmas plates and serving ware, but already told parents and FI that's what I want for Christmas
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards