Getting in Shape
Options

Personal Trainer- what do you ladies think?

Hi all

I feel like I'm finally starting to crack the healthy eating side of my weight loss aims. Thanks in part to the tasty healthy recipe thread on here! But I've still got 6 stone to lose, and low cal soups on their own aren't going to cut it.

I am a total stranger to exercise- for someone as gym phobic as me- do you think a personal trainer might be the answer? I'm motivated, but I'm clueless! I'd really love some professional input on this entirely new world of exercise. I feel that a trainer might be able to set me up with a healthy routine that I'll be able to follow on my own afterwards. it'd also be great to get some input on the diet I'm on.

BUT! I have so many questions about this... It'd be great if any of you have experience/ recommendations?

- is it horribly painful? I watch these exercise videos with trainers, and they're so far beyond my capabilities- I don't want to end up tearing something vital!
- is it embarrassing? I really don't want to be fat-shamed onto a treadmill!
- is it expensive? (I've got a whole wedding to pay for!)
- does it take over your whole life? I mean- the most convenient would obviously to just be able to do it from home
- is that an option? I mean- does anyone know about any skype session trainers? Is that even a thing?

This is a major change of lifestyle and mindset for me- it'd really be so helpful to get some feedback from some of you who have ventured down this road already.

Thanks all!

Re: Personal Trainer- what do you ladies think?

• Options
    Trainers work with people from all ages and fitness levels. I think it depends. For the most part training sessions are expensive. But they would help if they hold you accountable for getting your workouts in.

Another option is a non-traditional gym. You could do yoga, hot yoga, pilates, barre classes, bridal bootcamp etc. H is doing a running club to build up to a half marathon. They started out doing 1 mile and go 3 times a week, and are working up from there. Some people walk, some people run.

Trainers can help with workout routines, familiarizing you with the gym so it's less intimidating, they also can help with meal planning and stuff.

Be honest with yourself, in figuring out what works best for you.

• Options
    Definitely get a trainer.  I lost a lot of weight when I had one.  It kept me working out.  The fact that I'd have to call to cancel a session, explain why I wasn't coming, was enough to make me go and work hard.  I knew it would not be received kindly if I called and said I was tired, it was cold outside, etc. so I didn't feel like it.  A trainer will make you accountable, and if it is expensive, will make you work harder so you feel like you're getting your money's worth.
  • Options
    Also, don't worry about not being able to do what others are doing. It seems like people get in their own way when attending a class like yoga or pilates because they aren't stretching as far as someone else. Literally no one is paying attention. Everyone is just focusing on their own body.

I get so much in my own head, that I feel as though everyone is there to watch me, like I'm the sequel to Free Willy or something. Which, you're right, is totally absurd- and a bit cocky, actually! Why would anyone be watching me, when they're just focussing on their own experience?!

Thanks for the perspective! And for the advice. Xxx
  • Options
    SAHoehle said:
    A trainer will make you accountable
    This is SO what I need- no more excuses about it being cold outside. I'm so encouraged to hear that the experience worked out so well for you. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    There's no way I could ever afford a personal trainer, but I am a fan of having someone to guide you and hold you accountable. What PPs have said about classes at a gym is good advice; I go to a fitness studio which consists exclusively of classes and flat monthly fee for unlimited classes and is a fraction of what my own trainer would cost. Instructors can help you with correct form for Pilates and weightlifting so you can do things better on your own, as well as push you further than you'd go if left to your own devices. They will often offer modified positions that will still give you a good workout if you're not that experienced, recovering from an injury, or otherwise not quite able to do the advanced moves. If you go to a class often enough, the instructor will get to know you--and also notice when you've come back after being absent from class for awhile. It'll become a community of people you look forward to seeing each week and who can encourage you to stick with your fitness goals. 
  • Options
    I think a trainer is definitely the way to go. I do 30 minute training sessions once a week. It helps me stay accountable and she really knows her stuff. A good trainer will understand your limitations (if you have any) and will work with you to develop a workout plan. 

I can't speak for how expensive it is. Every gym is different. But my 30 min sessions are pretty reasonable. Of course I also pay for my monthly gym membership. That's a little pricey, but to me, it's worth it. Classes are also great too. I also try to do yoga at least once a week, on top of at least 35 mins of cardio 3-4 times per week. 

Personally, when I'm exercising and eating right, I tend to be happier and less stressed. I feel really great after a good workout. I try to do something active every day, even if I can't get to the gym. Take the dog for a walk, go hiking with FI, do yoga at home - anything. 

And don't ever be embarrassed! One thing I've learned from going to gyms for so many years is that most people are really just focused on what they're doing. When I'm there, I'm not looking at everyone else. I'm not judging the girl on the treadmill. I'm thinking about how many miles I've got left or what I'm going to eat for dinner or it my new pants are making me look fat. 
  • Options
    I'm not judging the girl on the treadmill. I'm thinking about how many miles I've got left or what I'm going to eat for dinner or it my new pants are making me look fat. 
    I suppose if I'm just thinking about staying upright on the treadmill, and whether (you're on the money with this one!) my pants make me look fat- then that's what everyone else is worrying about, too!

I'm definitely set on getting a trainer now, after all these encouraging stories- I'm looking into my options, and think I may have found something that suits my budget. Don't want to get too excited yet, though- I'll come back and share with all of you once I get going.

• Options
    Good luck!
  • Options
    - is it horribly painful? I watch these exercise videos with trainers, and they're so far beyond my capabilities- I don't want to end up tearing something vital! You should be assessed prior to doing a single thing so the trainer gets to know you and your abilities first. 
    - is it embarrassing? I really don't want to be fat-shamed onto a treadmill!  Trainers should never fat-shame, and one who does should be fired immediately and reported to management. Ignore other patrons- they're more concerned about their own bodies than yours. 
    - is it expensive? (I've got a whole wedding to pay for!) Depends- but it is an investment in yourself, and that's priceless.   It's cheaper than medication for the diseases that being overweight can cause. 
    - does it take over your whole life? I mean- the most convenient would obviously to just be able to do it from home It shouldn't- try one hour a week.  The things you learn with the trainer you can repeat on your own, during your own time. 
    - is that an option? I mean- does anyone know about any skype session trainers? Is that even a thing?  I have no idea how you'd get that done, unless you have an incredibly spacious living room and a whole set of free weights, resistance bands and whatnot. 

• Options
    - is it horribly painful? I watch these exercise videos with trainers, and they're so far beyond my capabilities- I don't want to end up tearing something vital!
    Your trainer should be giving you something within your abilities.  If it's too hard tell them, and if they don't listen, find a new one.  They should be challenging you though.  All will do a fitness assessment first though to see where you are

Not for me.  Mine are always motivating, and if anything. I'd prefer that they were harder on me.  But I get motivated by coaches being hard on me.  If you feel uncomfortable, ask for a new trainer.  If I ever felt shamed, I'd be out of there. 

Yup, it can be.  Check out smaller gyms, or the University.  I get mine through the University athletic programs (they do fitness classes, gymnastics/swimming for kids, etc.) and only pay $35 per hour.  I also work out with my Dad, so we get a cheaper price as it's technically a group trainer situation.  Try going with a friend for even more accountability.  I find the larger chains are more pricey ($75+).  Go occasionally (every week or 2) for new ideas and work out on your own with the same workout in between.  

- does it take over your whole life? I mean- the most convenient would obviously to just be able to do it from home
    I go for 1 hour sessions.  Count in drive time, and it's 1.5 hours each week.  There are also companies/trainers who will come to you but they will cost more.  

- is that an option? I mean- does anyone know about any skype session trainers? Is that even a thing?
    Haven't heard about Skype, but as I mentioned, people will come to your house.

Also try group classes as others have mentioned.  They'll keep you motivated and will change it up for you with each class.  It's also a lot cheaper too

• Options
    I paid WAYYY too much for a trainer for a year after I got my first post-college job. I was paying about $250 a month (crazy!) and I didn't see good results. Then I was trapped in the contract and couldn't get out. That gym is now closed and is being sued in a class action lawsuit for their shady business practices. 

I'm sure you'll see results with a legitimate gym/trainer, but I would still try classes first. Zumba, spin, yoga... they all can be fun and are a good way to break into the gym world without making you feel like an outsider. Step 1 is just show up and be confident!
  • Options
    Oh, my gosh, I'ms so sorry, KNS1988- what a horrible experience! I'm really on the look out for someone reliable, which is why I think I'm going to go with a trainer that a friend of mine has used, and recommended.

Just for the first few sessions, I'm going to go for at home/skype training (found out this IS actually possible! whoopeee!) until I get confident and co-ordinated enough to get out there and join some of these fun classes all of you are talking about. Zumba sounds a bit beyond me right now, but hopefully I'll get there before long!
  • Options

*STUCK IN A BOX*

My Fiance is a personal trainer, in fact that's how we met :) so I have some personal insight here. 

1. It is not painful in the way I think you mean. Exercise is uncomfortable, if it wasn't everyone would do it all the time! But a good trainer will know how to work with your fitness level while helping you push yourself just outside of your comfort zone and they will never put you in danger of injury. 

2. I have found going to 24 hour fitness alone feels more embarrassing than when I was going to a private gym with a trainer. Why? People who are at private gyms and are paying for a trainers attention are only there to work out and nothing else! Find a trainer you feel comfortable with and that's the most important thing. Depending on where you live some trainers do out door work outs at parks or other areas where you will have more privacy. 

3. Yes it can be expensive. One on One training depending on where you live can be up to $100 per session, I suggest finding a trainer that does group training, typically 5-8 people per group. When you do this you will get the benefit of a personal trainer but at a fraction of the cost. You can also search boot camps to find this. 

4. Only as much as you want it to. Look at it this way, if your gym is 15 mins from your house it basically will take you 30 mins more than if you just worked out at home. nothing more or less.

5. Some trainers offer in home sessions, but that will increase the cost because they have to travel to you and bring their own equipment. 

• Options
    thibodea said:
    Heyy EmmaBrown972! Another option for you might be to take part in a challenge group via Facebook. That's what I do. The challenge groups I'm a part of everyone does a workout at home (from a workout DVD they are comfortable with) and eats clean and checks in to the group page with what they did that day.It really is a great way to stay accountable and feel comfortable! A lot of people get great results this way. If you want to email me at lindquistcoaching@gmail.com I'd be happy to tell you more about it!
    @KnotPorscha - Vendor soliciting their business.  Several posts on the board.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards