Destination Weddings Discussions

Tips for finding a wedding planner

Hello!

My fiancé and I are planning a destination wedding to Miami. I can only afford to do two planning trips and so I would like to hire a wedding planner to help get lists of venues to tour and other appointments set up. I have gone through many websites for planners but they all look the same, and say pretty much the same things.

Does anyone have any tips for trying to find a fun and vibrant wedding planner long distance?

Thanks!

Re: Tips for finding a wedding planner

• Our wedding is going to be in Maui.  I had a look at reviews (google and the knot).  I also found the website "style me pretty" helpful for this.  I looked who different people used and their feedback.  I made sure to look up the coordinator or company and the typed in the name and review to google.  Yelp and other sites had good feedback.  Do you have a caterer or venue picked out at all?  perhaps they can recommend?  
    We are just using a day of the wedding coordinator to help everything run smoothly.
    Good luck! 
  • My FI and I are only going to end up doing two trips as well.  So far I do not have a wedding planner and I don't really feel I need one.  I researched venues myself and setup appointments, I used my venues preferred vendor list to book photography/videography/floral/decor etc.  Our first trip we did the site inspection (where you go to look at the properities and talk with the planners at the space).  I plan to do a trip hopefully in another month or so but due to our schedules it may not be until July and our wedding is in Sept.  Our second trip will involve doing our dinner tasting for the reception, cake tastings, hair/makeup trial run and I want to go see the decor vendor and look at samples of the table clothes so I know exactly what I will be getting. 

I agree with the post above as well, you can do alot of your research yourself from the knot and wedding wire.  Read the reviews and trust your instincts.  Also after I had booked my videographer I was telling him I was having an issue finding an officiant I liked and he referred me to someone not on the preferred vendors list who I found was perfect (looked up reviews and they were great) and even the catering manager at my hotel (who is managing my wedding onsite) said the same thing.  So don't be afraid to ask around, as this is especially helpful since we are planning from afar.

Good Luck :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards