Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Orlando Trip....Things to Do Besides the Parks?

After alot of back and forth on tons of different options I think we've mostly decided we are going to go ahead and book Orlando for our Honeymoon.  I think we are looking at 7-9 days there with at least 4 days for Disney and maybe 2-3 Days for Universal.  Are there things we should consider outside of parks.  I'm not so sure about Seaworld as I've done plenty of Aquariums/Oceanariums.  What dining should we check out? 

Also we are planning on staying at a Disney resort.  The Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Yacht and Beach Club were both recommended to us.  Does anyone have good recommendations on Disney resorts.  We're not as concerned with cost so we were looking between the delux and moderate resorts in the end of September.

Re: Orlando Trip....Things to Do Besides the Parks?

• Options
    I don't think you need 2-3 days for Universal.  Depending on when you go and how crowded it is you could really do both parks at Universal in one day, but you could always budget for 2 days just in case.

Honestly, I probably would just stick to the parks and on the days you don't go relax by the pool with a cool drink in your hand.  The amount of walking that you will be doing in the heat and sun will definitely exhaust you so on days that you aren't going to a park use it to relax.

• Options

I will defend Sea World in that it has a few top notch roller coasters and also their water park is supposed to be awesome (i've heard but never been).  But i'm a Disney girl.  I agree that you could probably do Universal in 1-2 days (definitely buy the tickets that include the line jumping ability). 

I've stayed at Anial Kingdom Lodge but not the Yacht Club.  Animal Kingdom has a great pool area if that's important to you, but it is VERY far from everything else other than the Animal Kingdom itself.  So going off-site takes longer.  Yacht club is more centrally located (as is Boardwalk) and you can walk into Epcot from either of those or it's about a 3/4 mile walk to Hollywood Studios from that area if you'd prefer to avoid the resort busses.  I usually stay either over there or at Bay Lake Tower (at the Contemporary resot) because i have a time share and Bay Lake is my "home" resort.  From there you can walk into Magic Kingdom and the monorail stops at the hotel to take you to Epcot (you have to change trains once).  You have to get busses everywhere else.

of course if you're renting a car and plan to drive yourself every day it doesn't much matter where you stay.  make dining reservations in advance...WAY in advance if there are very specific places you'd like to try (especially if one of those places is the Be Our Guest restaurant in the Magic Kingdom) - reservations open 180 days in advance.  on allears.net they have a list of all of the restaurants and their menus if you want to resarch a bit.

• Options
    I would vote for the Polynesian or Boardwalk at Disney-the Polynesian has the monorail to take to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, from the Boardwalk you can walk to Epcot. 

I too think you can do Universal in 1-2 days, 1 day if you buy the line jumper pass. There really aren't that many attractions, we didn't buy the line jumper pass and got through Islands of Adventures in about 3-4 hours, and that including riding the major rides 2-3 times. 
  • Options

The Wyndham Bonnet Creek is very nice. While it is not a Disney resort, it is extremely nice and so close to everything. We were to all parks within 10 min and there were some great deals for tickets when it was booked. The property was so close to Disney grounds, we could look off our balcony and see the nightly fireworks from Epcot, and Magic Kingdom. Granted, we went with my fiance's parents last April, and they footed the bill for the stay, but I would say it is a great resort for a good price, as my fiance's mom is extremely budget conscious. We had a blast, and there was plenty to explore at the resort when we weren't going to parks. There is an onsite spa where you and hubby can get massages and relax after all the walking and sun bathing!

• Options
    I don't think you need 2-3 days for Universal.  Depending on when you go and how crowded it is you could really do both parks at Universal in one day, but you could always budget for 2 days just in case.

Honestly, I probably would just stick to the parks and on the days you don't go relax by the pool with a cool drink in your hand.  The amount of walking that you will be doing in the heat and sun will definitely exhaust you so on days that you aren't going to a park use it to relax.
    I agree with the relaxing! I see too many people plan every waking minute of their day in the parks and they get tired after day 1. However, with the new Diagon Alley opening this Summer, I'd do the 2 day. If you want to do a waterpark, get the 3 park unlimited with Wet n Wild. 

The Wyndham Bonnet Creek is very nice. While it is not a Disney resort, it is extremely nice and so close to everything. We were to all parks within 10 min and there were some great deals for tickets when it was booked. The property was so close to Disney grounds, we could look off our balcony and see the nightly fireworks from Epcot, and Magic Kingdom. Granted, we went with my fiance's parents last April, and they footed the bill for the stay, but I would say it is a great resort for a good price, as my fiance's mom is extremely budget conscious. We had a blast, and there was plenty to explore at the resort when we weren't going to parks. There is an onsite spa where you and hubby can get massages and relax after all the walking and sun bathing!

I work at the resort across the street, so I PM'd you OP :)

imageimage

• Options
    I live in central Florida and visit the parks often. Take the advice on here...relax! Spend some time at the resort. You're feet will be killing you. Also, I live in Cocoa Beach and highly recommend you come here for a day or so. It's only 45 minutes to an hour away. It's so beautiful!
  • Options
    One day we went on a swamp tour on an air boat.  It was about a 30 minute drive from our hotel, it was Boggy Creek Airboat Rides.  We too stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek resort.  This is a timeshare though.  I don't know that they book this out to the general public.  I will concur with PP assessment that it is a great resort.  We drove to all the parks and it was easy to get in and out.  We went in November and did both Universal Parks in one day, without the line hopper.  Look into Undercovertourist.com for discount tickets and the best days to go to which parks.
  • Options
    OliveOilsMom said: We too stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek resort.  This is a timeshare though.  I don't know that they book this out to the general public.  

They had just completed a "for the public" hotel when we went in April 2013. We visited the Starbucks inside as the one in the time-share buildings was already closed when we got back from dinner and from what we saw walking through it was very nice. I believe as long as you're staying on resort property, whether you're time-share or hotel, you have access to the whole resort. You can double check though just to be safe. I would hate to have given you wrong info   :(
  • Options
    I've been to Disney more times than I can count and my aunt is a bonafide Disneyaholic.  We have stayed at both Animal Kingdom Lodge and Yacht/Beach Club and love both for different reasons.  AKL is further from the parks than the other hotels but it was a great pool area, delicious restaurants, and sitting on your balcony watching giraffes is pretty cool!  Yacht/Beach Club are a beautiful, beachy feel.  Nice pool with a small beach area (although you can't get in the water at the beach, it is nice to sit in the sand if you like that).  Laid back feel and walking distance to Epcot (with tons of great dinner options in Epcot, this can be a great idea) and Hollywood Studios (although longer).  
  • Options
    OliveOilsMom said: We too stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek resort.  This is a timeshare though.  I don't know that they book this out to the general public.  

They had just completed a "for the public" hotel when we went in April 2013. We visited the Starbucks inside as the one in the time-share buildings was already closed when we got back from dinner and from what we saw walking through it was very nice. I believe as long as you're staying on resort property, whether you're time-share or hotel, you have access to the whole resort. You can double check though just to be safe. I would hate to have given you wrong info   :(
    This could be right then.  I didn't know the hotel had the same name. . .
  • Options
    Hit up Winter Park. It's this very cool downtown area. They also have boat rides that will take you through the canals and pass where Mr. Rodgers once owned a house. I lived in Orlando for 5 years and that was one of my favorite things to do on a Saturday afternoon. Also, Thorton Park has great dining and isn't too far from Downtown Orlando. 

You're also about a 45 minute drive from Cocoa Beach and an hour and a half to St. Pete Beach.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards