October 2014 Weddings

Wedding Dress Shopping

Okay ladies so I have my first wedding dress appt on Thursday! I am nervous bc I wanted to be a lot thinner than I am and Im worried that Im just not going to like anything and will be focusing on my weight the whole time! Anyone else run into this dilemma?

Re: Wedding Dress Shopping

• To be honest I felt the same exact way.  I really bummed myself out during the car ride there because I was not where I wanted to be.  As soon as I put on my dress, I fell so in love and my weight did not even phase me- the reason I loved the dress so much was because even though I did not feel so great before, it really made me feel beautiful with it on! Another bonus was after I left that dress store and I knew what I had to wear, it gave me crazy motivation to eat better and workout. 
  • I had this same issue. It didn't turn out well for me. I tried on a lot of dresses, ended up crying and doing shots after. I now dread going back to try dresses on again. I know I have to because I guess it takes a long time to get wedding dress orders in, but meh, it was so miserable. I left thinking that maybe I'm better fitted for some jeans and flip flops, I've kind of even started cringing just looking at pictures of wedding dresses. The only stress I have about my wedding at all is what I am going to wear, so scared I won't find anything i like at all :(

I really hope you have better luck then me! Let us know how it goes, hopefully your positive experience will encourage me to get back out there! 
  • Thanks ladies for the encouragement! I really appreciate it!! I am leaving in an hour so trying to stay positive! Will post later today of my experience!!
  • I had this same issue. It didn't turn out well for me. I tried on a lot of dresses, ended up crying and doing shots after. I now dread going back to try dresses on again. I know I have to because I guess it takes a long time to get wedding dress orders in, but meh, it was so miserable. I left thinking that maybe I'm better fitted for some jeans and flip flops, I've kind of even started cringing just looking at pictures of wedding dresses. The only stress I have about my wedding at all is what I am going to wear, so scared I won't find anything i like at all :(

I really hope you have better luck then me! Let us know how it goes, hopefully your positive experience will encourage me to get back out there! 
    I had some really negative experiences with my shopping as well. I didn't want something blingy or poufy or princess-y, and I felt like that was ALL I was finding. I had a little emotional breakdown during my first appointment (which I KNEW would happen, so I brought Fi with me and no friends!).

I'm just not very bride-y, but that's ok! We can all wear whatever we feel comfortable in: whether that's a huge poufy and blingy gown or jeans and flip flops!
  • Jennycolada I think that was ALOT of my issue that it was either very form fitting or I felt like i had a comforter wrapped around my body. I'm not good at the bride thing either. I wear dresses and like to be cute and girly, but lets face it most of those dresses are sundresses and even my "dressy" shoes are just dressy flip flops lol. 

I kinda knew I was going to break down too, I had one friend with me, did not bring a huge group. my FI knew I was probably going to break down too because I told him before I left that I was nervous about it and not excited and that my greatest fear is that I won't find anything to wear to our wedding! 

My hair dresser told me about a bridal shop that has more of a vintage/romantic vibe, I think I am going to try that next. I looked up their designers and there seemed to be more options that weren't so traditional/poofy/body fitted so I think I may brave it and try that next... probably alone :)

Did you end up finding a dress?
  • My sister just went to this new store Karen Willis Holmes in soho. Their sample gowns are all made with lace-ups (like corsets) so they fix basically any shape and really any size. This also means no big clamps restricting us seeing how the gown looks in the back. My sister has more of a pear shape (probably a size 10 in the hips) so most gowns in other boutiques she could barely get into. She was able to try on every gown there, We were so happy. And they do split sizing so my sister could order different sizes for the bust waist and hips. We both wish all store had this option. Am i right?
  • When you find the right dress, weight will hardly matter because you would love it and be comfortable in THE dress no matter what. Be patient and calm! (:
  • iI hate the way iI look in everything so dress shopping was not fun. my clothes never fit right either to big or to small. they have nothing my size ever :-(

and my baby is 2 and iI havent taken her weight off yet. but iI am older and seems harder. and my boobs never got bigger and iI breast fed :-(
  • So....I had an amazing time at the bridal salon today! I tried on what seemed like a dozen dresses (some just for fun)!! I am about 5'3" and so I tried to stick to styles like A-Line and Sheath as I was looking for something that flattered my height/figure above all. The A-Line was a WINNER!!! (picture below) I was totally against corsets because I love the little buttons all the way down the back but the dress I really liked was a corset and was so flattering for my figure! It was lace and tulle and I came out and saw myself in the mirror and just wanted to cry with happiness! It was the weirdest emotion to feel....I can't describe it but I felt pretty and sweet and like a little princess!! Although it made me feel amazing and it was so pretty there is still something missing about it so....I didn't buy it but it is still in the running! My friend said that maybe I didn't feel sexy in it? Has anyone else felt torn between finding that balance of looking sexy but also like a princess bride (don't know how else to describe it lol)?
  • The dress is called Nadia by Maggie Sottero and it comes with a sash!
  • Congratulations!! So glad it turned out to be a good experience.  And hooray for Maggie brides -- my dress is by her as well :)
  • I really wanted a Maggie (and liked most of her stuff that I tried on!) but ended up finding my dress at DB (Melissa Sweet).

I'm happy that you found a look that you like and had fun!
  • I found another dress by Lillian West...anyone know about how much these dresses cost?
  • I found another dress by Lillian West...anyone know about how much these dresses cost?

I Googled, and all I could find is someone on WB talking about her LW dress that cost $1500.

So I guess it'd vary around that.
  • So I think I may have found the dress at Davids Bridal of all places! I was not expecting to like this dress at all but I feel sexy in it! The dress number is 9wg3381; it is different because the lace is actually leaves!! Its a mermaid style which I would have never dreamt of wearing in a million years but it really does work for my body shape!!
  • mrsb53mrsb53 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited March 2014
    @SehlinBride I am glad you found your dress! I ended up finding mine at David's Bridal too! I never would have thought. I can relate to your previous post about wanting something sexy but not over the top, and not something too princessy! Mine is CWG530. It's an Oleg Cassini. I am also 5'3" so I was looking for A-line too! Mine is kind of A-line, kind of sheath. I love it! Your dress looks gorgeous too!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards