Wisconsin

Outdoor wedding in southern WI in APRIL?? need advice if thats a bad idea...

I am just wondering... we are soon to book our venue and because of budgeting and because of what the place we LOVE has available... we are looking at April 2014.  But the ceremony would be outdoors.  What do you guys think of an outdoor wedding in April in this part of the world? lol.  I am worried--- do you think chances are it will be muddy out or rainy or do you think chances are we'd be in the clear by April. I am well aware that weather is unpredictable especially in this area- I just want to see if your first reaction is oh no I wouldnt have an outdoor ceremony in April!

thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Outdoor wedding in southern WI in APRIL?? need advice if thats a bad idea...

• We were married 4/16/11 in suburban Milwaukee.  The weekend before was in the 70s.  We had temps in the 30s and it snowed.  It made for great pictures, but I would never plan an outdoor ceremony in Wisconsin in April - the weather is far too unpredictable that time of year.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I would never want to attend an outdoor wedding in April in WI.  It is usually cold (40s/50s) and the chance of rain is higher than the summer or fall.  Honestly, I likely wouldn't attend the ceremony if I were invited since I can't handle cold weather.  I think even outdoors in May is pretty iffy.
  • April all over is pretty unpredictable. This year April was fairly decent but prior years April has had snow! I was at a wedding in April in Louisville and they rushed through the ceremony(skipping readings/unity candle) because a storm was coming! It made for beautiful pictures of the 5 mins they were in front of us exchanging vows/rings but it was a mad dash inside once they were done. I would have a back plan, like plan it at location that has the ability to do it outside or inside in case of weather. My sister's BIL is getting married at The Gardens in Allenton and they have beautiful gardens outside and a beautiful chapel. That way, you are covered if its too muddy, snowing or raining out but have the option if it 70s and beautiful.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Is it possible for you to rent a heated tent, as a back up plan, in case of poor weather?
    Praying for a miracle!
  • I agree that April is way too iffy. My first wedding (divorced, remarrying now) was April 24 and we had freezing temps and rain. It was almost too cold for outdoor photos.
  • thanks guys!!  now I feel sad. lol. But honesty is what I wanted- so I will start looking at other options. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's risky but you can argue that having an outdoor wedding in October is pretty similiar. I've been to 3 outdoor weddings in october. 2 were nasty and cold (still held outdoors) and one was 72, sunny with a light breeze and was perfect!

I think if thats what you really want, go for it, but have an iron clad back up plan for an indoor ceremony should the weather be less than ideal.

Best of luck!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards