Plus-Sized
Options

XP: Trying on dresses - the good and the bad (PIP)

I know it was helpful for me seeing different dresses on different brides even though we are all different sizes and shapes.  So here are the dresses I tried on that I got pictures of - don't mind the clear bra straps in many of the pictures, I didn't have a long line bra to take dress shopping with me and that was the best I could do!  In my mind, some of these are bad... really bad, but I'm sharing them anyway.

didn't like it, but it was the first one I put on (David's Bridal)

This one did nothing for me either, but I liked the ruffles (David's bridal)

I liked and almost went with this one - but it wasn't exactly my size and discontinued (david's bridal)

I didn't care for the skirt on this one but started getting a little more confidence (don't remember)

I actually liked this one but it would be too hot for my wedding and it just wasn't 100% it (don't remember):

I wasn't comfortable with the bust on this one, liked the ruffles (allure):

This one was nice, but I wanted more bling and at the time was double my original budget (I later increased my budget after sitting down with FI and actually doing a budget, found out there was a bit left over for my dress than I thought) (impression):

This was my next 'almost got' - I started comparing myself to other brides who had this dress and couldn't pull the trigger (Davids Bridal):

Here's another pictures same dress as above:

Not comfortable in this one at all (davids bridal)

It hit me in all the wrong places (david's bridal)

I had to put a modest panel in the front of this one (Alfred Angelo)

The tag was cut out - no idea

Again got a 'modesty panel' - tag cut out no idea

Alfred Angelo - I have nothing nice to say about this one on me, I took the picture to show my mom that sleeves were not working

This is why chubby brides shouldn't do low backs :( (Mori Lee Julietta)

I actually liked this one kinda - she couldn't convince me that a proper size would lay flat on me and not show off my 'rolls' (Alfred Angelo Disney collection)

I think this may have been an Alfred Angelo but I don't remember

I think I look pregnant in this one (no idea)

This one didn't do a good job holding my boobs where they need to be (Alfred Angelo)

I really liked this dress!  My mom was not sold on how fitted it was and there was one I'd love a lot more (Allure Romance)

Princess gown! This is my dress (Allure Couture)

I really loved this dress but it just did not photograph well on me (ladies take a picture before you buy if you can!) (Mori Lee)

A lot of the girls on the internet liked this one, the girls that came with me said it looked too prom-y and wasn't the look I was going for (don't remember)

Another mermaid/trumpet style - I know my wedding is going to be a LONG day and I wouldn't have been comfortable in it (plus it was out of my comfort zone) (don't remember)

Anniversary

Re: XP: Trying on dresses - the good and the bad (PIP)

• Options
    Thanks for posting about your dress shopping experience! Your dress is beautiful! I've only ever seen the satin version of your dress, and it looks great in a softer fabric. 

I got my veil from a discount bridal shop in Washington or Oregon via the WeddingBee classifieds. I think I paid $45 for a Symphony Bridals veil that retails for $150+. It's definitely worth browsing wedding classifieds and checking out Etsy.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Gorgeous dress.  I felt like I went shopping with you!  That was fun :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker}
  • Options
    Gorgeous pick! I actually loved the DB champagne dress that's being discontinued, of course, I didn't get to try it on bc it was no where near my size. Boo! They all looked great on you though :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I absolutely love your pick of a dress, JUST SAYING!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I can see why you picked it.  Its beautiful on you.  I blogged about my experience.... Here were the dresses (that we got pics of) I tried on over 30 dresses but some places didn't allow pics :( http://penniesandcents.wordpress.com/2013/09/02/another-day-of-looking-at-dresses/ and my first triphttp://penniesandcents.wordpress.com/2013/08/12/say-yes-to-the-dress/ I ended up finding a dress I loved some of these I liked others I hated (most I hated lol). and then the dress I actually ended up going with... I thought I would get something more flowy (like yours) but this was called to me.  I love it.

• Options
    You look gorgeous!

Funny thing, the gown that's similar to yours in style but "hit in all the wrong places" is my gown! I'm not sure how tall you are but on me, the sample gown just barely touched the ground. Where it hits you low on the hips, it's sitting just on top of mine. Funny how a little height difference can totally change the shape!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    If it helps - I'm 5'3", in the DB pictures I'm wearing a 3 1/2 inch heel.  Street clothing I'm a 16.

Anniversary
  • Options

@Dignity100 - You're almost the same as me! I'm 5'3" and wear a 14 jean/pant. I love seeing these pictures from you. I really should finish posting the rest of mine. I tried on nearly 40 dresses!

I also had on (and liked) the one at DB that so many seem to have. That doesn't really bother me, but I couldn't pull the trigger on it either. I ended up in an Allure couture gown too! Mine's C243 while yours is C269. Completely different styles, but it's amazing to me how similar our dress shopping experiences were.

As for the veils, I'm making my own. Hand beading is not particularly difficult, just tedious and time-consuming. Is that something you feel like you could do? Because it saves so much money. If not, I'd definitely check out etsy. They may even have better deals depending on how much beading you like/the materials you'd have to buy because the etsy sellers can probably afford to buy things in bulk quantities and pass the savings on to you, whereas if you did that you'd just end up spending more for extra stuff you didn't need. Making veils is fairly straightforward, even for those not necessarily "crafty" (though I admit, I am crafty) so it could definitely be an option. Tulle is only about $1.99/yard and I got six plastic combs in a package from a craft store for another $1.99. I may upgrade to metal, though. Still, that's not a lot of money. Certanly not $100+.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• Options
    @lkristenj - There's a few veils I'm looking for off of Etsy.  I LOVED the one I tried on at the store but it was $200 and I cannot justify that (especially after I went over budget on my dress).  At the moment, I'm not sure I could make one by hand (my thumb is screwed up at the moment and has been since October, it no longer bends - so annoying there's so many things that I have to figure out a different way to do because of it).

I probably tried on about 30 dresses, but some were so awful I didn't take pictures of them.  Now I wish I would have because I think it would have helped others see the different styles and such. 

I wanted a blinged out princess dress because I feel it suits my venue the best (even though I'm having a TINY wedding, it's still my wedding).

Anniversary
  • Options

It certainly is "blinged out princess"! I'm glad you found exactly what you wanted. I did too since I'm a really simple country girl and lace is what I really wanted. I went over budget, but my parents seemed okay with that and since they had generously offered to buy my dress, that was the most important to me. I feel a little guilty about spending more than planned, but my mom was there and she also knew it was "the one". I completely understand about not wanting to go over with the veil too. It's amazing how expensive they are compared with the actual costs of materials. Most of the cost is labor, I'm sure, since they can take a long time to make by hand depending on design. I have time, so it works out for me.

I'm adding lace from my mother's wedding dress to my veil and probably will forego the beading. But, I did by some beads just in case and practiced a bit to learn how to do it. The thumb thing probably would get in your way with doing such intricate work with a needle. The blinged out veil is also awesome. It suits the dress really well without detracting from it, I think. If you were doing a plain, raw-edge veil, I would 100% still recommend making it assuming you can still use scissors. It's cheaper than even etsy to do it that way. Still, I think you want something "more" for your veil, so I'd just keep looking at etsy. I've seen some beautiful ones there.

I took pictures in nearly every wedding dress I tried. The only ones I didn't were the ones I literally could not put on or the ones that were far to immodest to take photos of. I did not have the luxury of a modesty panel with some, unfortunately. I kind of want to put them all in a photobook and have them to laugh and remember my shopping experience by. And show them to my Fi when it's all over.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• Options
    I think I have a similar body to yours so thank you for posting pictures from your dress shopping experience.  I think it gives me a better idea of what to expect and how certain styles might look on me.
  • Options
    @passthewine - beautiful dress!  I looked at all your other choices and you definitely picked the right one.  Your smile says it all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards