Nevada-Las Vegas

Men's Wedding Bands

So my fiance and I are trying to find a wedding band for him. He likes tungsten because he heard that it is the most durable and does not scratch easily. He found some on Overstock.com that he likes but they were only like $50 or below. I want him to have a nice ring and since we spend a lot more money on me, he should have money spent on him too and have nicer things too. He swears the rings at the other jewelers like Kay's are the same exact thing as the ones online but I am just wary. I mean why the big price difference? I want to go buy him the one from the store because I know it is reputable and will be good quality. He wants the one from overstock because he wants to save money and thinks they are exactly the same. He sees things more logically perhaps because he says we can use the money we are saving towards the rest of the wedding weekend. Any thoughts? 

Re: Men's Wedding Bands

• I would just go with whatever makes him happy instead of basing it on the price tag :) it's nice that you want to go all out for his but if his heart is set on that ring I would say get that one for him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • They are the most durable, but i think have a few year warranty, at least that is what Kay, Ben Bridge and a few other Mall Jewelry Stores told us. I would buy from wherever he feels most comfortable with getting it from
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree. Get his ring wherever he wants to get it from. My FI was easy, he wanted a comfort fit brushed platinum band. I would've liked something a little different but it's his ring!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We got married last May and went through this exact same thing. My rings were expensive and my husband also loved the Tungsten bands. At all the retail stores they were 299 and up. One that he found he liked was 499 and that was no problem until I found the exact same one on Overstock for 50.00! It was a no brainer for my husband...Why pay 499 for the exact same ring that we could get for 50?! He's worn it for almost a year now, loves it, gets compliments on it all the time and it's scratch resistant and extremely durable for is line of work. I highly recommend overstock!
  • Has anyone heard of Cobalt rings?  A jewelry store introduced us to that option yesterday.  Seems like a good option.  My fiance is set on platinum, only because tungsten can't be resized.  I can't get him to believe that he probably won't need it resized...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI liked rings with diamonds. I was so surprised, but he really liked one of the rings at Zales. It is tungsten, and they offer a lifetime warranty. Since it cannot be resized, and Tungsten can also shatter, they warranty for both. We just send the ring back, and they send us a brand new ring. Had he had a simpler taste, I would have gotten a silver band for him, inscribed with the wedding date. I suggest getting what he likes. And if you want to spend a little more money on him, get him a timepiece (an expensive watch) to wear with it. Just an idea.

• I have a tungsten band with carbon fiber insert.  My wife bought it at one of the big name chain stores for I want to say about $150.  Ended up being too small so she bought me a second one a 1/2 size larger.  I ended up losing it (dont ask lol) so I bought a replacement on Amazon; same exact ring for $25.  Tungsten is a very inexpensive metal so don't worry about it not costing enough; it will be fine.  Also, don't let anyone trying to sell you a more expensive ring tell you tungsten is an issue getting it off, like in a car wreck.  While it is extremely hard, it is also very brittle, so if the ring actually did have to come off in an emergency, a pair of pliers will snap it; they won't scratch it but they will certain snap it in half.

My friends who have more expensive wedding rings tend to get them all scratched up.  One of my friends has a nice platinum ring that he wears when they go out but a tungsten ring for work (he's a fire fighter).

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• We did the Overstock route for my fiancé too....he loved tungsten and titanium because they were masculine and durable (no scratches), so we got a band on Overstock and it looks fantastic!
  • otagotag member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    I ended up getting a cobalt ring.   Read up a ton on the metals.   Apparently cobalt is a step up from tungsten as far of strength and scratch resistance.  I also liked it because it was a lot lighter in weight.   Got mine at a jewelry store (family run) same place as the FI.   Spent a little more, but if i have any issues i can go right back to that place.  
  • You are right that there is a reason for the price difference. Many of the lower priced tungsten rings are made with cobalt and not nickel. (This cobalt used as a filler is not the same as cobalt chrome, which is a hypoallergenic jewelry metal ) Straight cobalt is much easier for manufacturers to aquire and therefore much cheaper. But it can also create an adverse reaction to your skin inlcuding discoloration, rashes, ect., even if you have never has sensitive skin or jewelry allergies before. Once the cobalt in your tungsten ring mixes with the oils in your skin it can also permanently tarnish your ring. Creating spots that cannot be buffed out. If you decide to go with a tungsten ring, be sure to ask what the compound is made from. Is it straight tungsten, (which is basically a steel ring) mixed with cobalt, (potenially really bad) or with nickel (preferred). Try to stay with designer tungsten rings and not knockoff no name brands. This will insure you are not getting a cobalt compund tungsten ring. Some great designers you could look into are, Triton, J.R.Yates, Heavy Stone Rings & ArtCarved. Here's a link that can give you more info on what to look for when shopping for tungsten rings. Happy Hunting!  http://www.titanium-jewelry.com/about-tungsten.html
  • My fiancé also wanted a Tungsten ring, which is what he bought, but now he's complaining about wearing it, because he said it's too big and doesn't feel good on his fingers. I told him (since we're so close to the wedding day) that he'll use that one for the ceremony, but that he can buy a new one after that. Mine fits perfectly!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards