Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Tips for picking a DJ?

We're planning our wedding out of state and visiting the area in a month to book as many vendors as we can within a single week.  I know what I want from pretty much every vendor, but have NO clue what to look for in a DJ to pick a good one. 

Our reception site has an on-site coordinator who is very helpful and will give us recommendations, but I want to know what I need to look for myself.  
We only need someone for the reception, and pretty much our only goal for the reception is for it to be lots of fun.  Any tips? Things I should ask DJs? Ways to make sure they won't be boring and/or obnoxious?

Thanks!

Re: Tips for picking a DJ?

• Something that was really important to me was that the DJ would be able to keep the crowd on the dance floor! I knew I had found the right DJ when he started talking about how if a song comes on and everyone starts to leave the dance floor he can quickly fade it into another song. I hate when I go to weddings and they don't play any dance music or its all slow songs. It was also important to me that the DJ be open to playing certain songs or genres that my FI and I liked. Just ask a lot of questions and make sure you meet with the DJs so you get to see their personalities.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• donethatdonethat member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    Even from out of state, you can check out potential DJ's websites, facebook, online reviews (here and on wedding wire) and you can ask for DJ referrals from all the other vendors you're talking to, especially photographers and venues because they see them all and know who is keeping things going AND making the B & G happy!  When you start hearing names over and over from dif vendors, you probably can count on a quality vendor!  

Also, although I'm in Ohio, I love this blog from a DJ company in Maryland ... it has good info, including this below .. which is possibly overkill   

Finally - trust your instinct......  :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards