May 2014 Weddings

Alterations

I'm sure that most have had our first fitting by now. Did any of you have sticker shock at the price of them? I only needed a hem and a bustle and it was $330!!! My dress isn't even a ballgown. 

Re: Alterations

• My dress didn't need to be hemmed, so the only alteration I needed was a bustle. I have a mermaid style dress with a slight train, but decided on a simple 3-point bustle. It only cost me $64.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

I haven't gone in for my first fitting yet, but have tried on my dress when it came in.  Mine will need a hem, cups sewn in and a bustle.  Alternations are included in the price I paid, other than bustle - but i'm curious to see how much the bustle costs me.

• tammym1001tammym1001 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2014
    The most expensive part of my alterations was the bustle. She ended up not doing a ballroom bustle because the back of my dress is plain and I didn't want a couple of random buttons across my butt for a bustle. She ended up having to do 22 buttons underneath to do the bustle. I'm not even sure how my girls are going to figure it out. LOL
  • I had cups sewn in, hemmed a bustle, and taken in. It wad 294 dollars.  I about died at the register. I feel like its a rip off. I did have two bustles added because the way my gown is it needed it. I have an out layer so I got an over bustle, and the heavy under layer I got an under bustle. So that was added, I guess I didnt need it but it looked better that way and stressed the fabric less. 
  • I had to buy a dress size bigger because my ladies are big, they wouldnt fit into my actual size. So then the waist needed to be tsken in 2 in
  • Yeah I didn't have her do it at this appointment, but there's a good chance when I go back I will probably need to have the waist taken in. I told her I wanted to think about doing it. What a pain!
  • My dress wasnt even that far from my normal size. Really just a tad loose from going a size up. I think she over priced my alterations.  Just another way for someone to get someone else to fork over money, they know brides will do it.
  • dluberts said:
    My dress wasnt even that far from my normal size. Really just a tad loose from going a size up. I think she over priced my alterations.  Just another way for someone to get someone else to fork over money, they know brides will do it.
    I agree. They know there isn't a whole lot else you can do. My normal seamstress doesn't alter wedding dresses so I was basically stuck with the bridal shop or a seamstress I had never used before. 
  • My dress cost 425, I got lucky and caught a discounted discontinued one off the rack. There was nothing wrong, missing, orbroken with it. And for the alterations to cost almost as much as the dress itself cost was just absurd.
  • edited March 2014
    Lol I woulda loved to pay $250. Mine was a whopping $475. Its being taken in one size, cups added, a 3 point bustle and hemmed. The most expensive is the hem because it's a ruffled dress. She has to take the entire thing apart at the sash and hem from the top. I got teary-eyed when she gave me the quote.

• Yeah, mine was around the $250 mark.  I honestly can't remember what it was exactly.  I had to have my straps taken up, a bustle, and had to have it hemmed.  I don't know about you ladies, but I asked to keep my extra fabric from the hemming (although I think its standard that the bride keeps the excess fabric) so I'll have some pretty lace to wrap around my bouquet.  I already knew that wedding dress alterations are pricey because they have to sometimes take apart the dress and even put detailing back onto the dress.  Altering a wedding dress is completely and totally different then from altering a dress you purchased off the rack.
    Anniversary
  • I just had my fitting and to take in the top, hem and the bustle, it was $266. I was in shock! I already had spent more on the dress than i planned, and then to hear that number i couldnt believe it. But I cant wait to see the dress when its done. Hopefully its worth it.
  • Mine was less than expected-I was told $99 to do a bust dart/pleat, but they are actually taking it in at the waist (yay!) so the cost was under $75.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This makes me feel like I am over paying!! Mine is $420, for it being taken in at the hips and tops, cups being added, 4-point bustle, and hemmed.
    Maybe I was happy with the price because I was hearing stories of girls paying uptowards $600-900 for their alterations. 
  • Mine was somewhere in the range of $400-600 (I can't even remember the exact numbers...all I know is that alterations + undergarments + veil cost more than my dress did). My bustle is going to be done in 2 layers though (it's satin with a lace overlay so they have to be done separately), and has approximately 1 million buttons, plus my dress has to be hemmed, which due to the lace overlay is very expensive, and I have to have the shoulders taken in too...and of course that part of the dress is lace too.
  • I went to a local seamstress with excellent yelp reviews. She did a three-layer hem for $40, which is all I needed. Bridal shops gouge you.
  • My dress is all lace and thankfully only needed minor alterations. I think all together my alterations were 180? I just had them bring some of the lace together in the front to make it less "booby" lol and do the bustle.

Initially I had planned to wear flats and the seamstress was like ummm ok you can either wear heels or pay for a 200 dollar hem. Since my dress is all lace I guess hems get a ltitle more tricky.

So now I'm wearing heels haha! I was actually kind of surprised she was so blunt. I feel like typically they will do anything to get your money. So i was pretty thankful to have her on my side!
  • My alterations cost $630. I couldn't believe it! I know they are doing a lot with my dress, but I didn't think it'd be over $500.
  • My alterations was $50. I was expecting to pay so much more. I only needed cups added and hook added to carry my train. We attempted to do a bustle but the way my train is made into my dress it made the train look like a curtain bustled.

My dress is a mermaid style dress with a corset back. The train is made coming from the side of the dress and flows to the back.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mine are $400, which isn't bad considering that she has to hem 11 layers, take in the bust a hair so it doesn't gape, add in a ridiculous amount of points for a bustle because it's so much dress, and then re-work one of the layers that has fabric flower petals streaming down from it (hard to explain).

• Mine are $400, which isn't bad considering that she has to hem 11 layers, take in the bust a hair so it doesn't gape, add in a ridiculous amount of points for a bustle because it's so much dress, and then re-work one of the layers that has fabric flower petals streaming down from it (hard to explain).
    I forget how much my alteration's cost (I think around $150-200) but what I had to have done is similar to you! We didn't have to hem anything (thank the lord) but I have a 7 point bustle (SO MUCH TULLE!!!) and then do some stitching across the bust so it doesn't gape and covers my chest. Honestly it's much better than I thought...but the seven point bustle is crazy! But awesome.

I decided to not hack off the train and so I have an awesome train, and a cathedral length veil! Woohoo!
    Anniversary
  • Klc09d said:
    Mine are $400, which isn't bad considering that she has to hem 11 layers, take in the bust a hair so it doesn't gape, add in a ridiculous amount of points for a bustle because it's so much dress, and then re-work one of the layers that has fabric flower petals streaming down from it (hard to explain).
    I forget how much my alteration's cost (I think around $150-200) but what I had to have done is similar to you! We didn't have to hem anything (thank the lord) but I have a 7 point bustle (SO MUCH TULLE!!!) and then do some stitching across the bust so it doesn't gape and covers my chest. Honestly it's much better than I thought...but the seven point bustle is crazy! But awesome.

I decided to not hack off the train and so I have an awesome train, and a cathedral length veil! Woohoo!

I am now ever-glad my dress is tea-length! They sound beautiful, though, these multi-layered dresses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Klc09d said:
    Mine are $400, which isn't bad considering that she has to hem 11 layers, take in the bust a hair so it doesn't gape, add in a ridiculous amount of points for a bustle because it's so much dress, and then re-work one of the layers that has fabric flower petals streaming down from it (hard to explain).

She said that for dresses like mine, there's a type of bustle she has devised that is essentially like curtain hooks on a pulley system! Soooo, I think I'm going to have at least 7 points, too haha

• Klc09d said:

She said that for dresses like mine, there's a type of bustle she has devised that is essentially like curtain hooks on a pulley system! Soooo, I think I'm going to have at least 7 points, too haha
    That's so awesome! I kinda want to see a video now of how that works. I think mine's just a crap-ton of buttons and a frog-type hook (if that makes any sense!) so it'll be fun figuring out how that will work day-of. 
    Anniversary
  • Mine is costing around 390 and it's for a billion hooks for the bustle, and a lace hem. Plus cups sewn in. I knew it would be a lot so luckily I was NOT in shock. But still sad!
  • My quote was $600 -- it had to be taken in and shortened. The dress has a lot of lace, though, which apparently makes it a much more time consuming process.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • At least you all have wedding dresses to try on and get altered. My FI promised to make my dress and still has not started on it. He's a designer who specializes in couture gowns. I can't believe he let me down. I'm still searching for back-up dresses with the wedding one month away.
  • newyork86 said:
    At least you all have wedding dresses to try on and get altered. My FI promised to make my dress and still has not started on it. He's a designer who specializes in couture gowns. I can't believe he let me down. I'm still searching for back-up dresses with the wedding one month away.

WTH? So not OK. He better be surprising you ASAP with a beautiful and complete dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would not wait anymore! Go get a gown before you get screwed.
  • @*elle What alterations did you have to have done (because of the specific design of your dress?). I am just wondering why $600 (I know alterations cost a lot but that is A LOT)

I am going in for my first fitting tonight. I need a hem, no bustle and they are going to have to let it out just a bit (I am guessing). Hoping it's not over $300.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards