Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

What are some questions to ask an officiant?

We just booked the venue and the reception site. They're both going to be at the same location, and it's just absolutely beautiful! We already have someone to officiate our wedding, we just haven't spoke to him yet. My fiance and I love him. And how we know him and we know we love him, because, he officiated both of grandparent's funerals and he's just amazing and love everything about him.The thing is, what questions do we ask him? We feel so lost on this part for some reason. I know we have to ask if there are any pre-marital counseling that needs to take place and if he will work with us even if we're living together. What are some other questions to ask?
Our Wedding Bio kosakwedding.weebly.com

Re: What are some questions to ask an officiant?

• Well, first of all, if you haven't spoken to him yet, you don't really have an officiant.

The first thing to find out is if he'll marry you. Some preachers won't marry people who don't attend their churches.

Ask him if he's available on your date, if he'll marry you, what requirements he has, is there anything he doesn't allow (i.e., some preachers won't allow unity candles), what his vision for weddings is, what he charges, does he charge extra for conducting a rehearsal, etc.

If he's religious (and I'm assuming he is, since you said he officiated your grandparents' funerals), he might have strictures you must abide by -- such as not living together before marriage.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • If you want to do your own vows, that's something else to ask - if he'll allow that.

image   image   image

• Find out if he will allow any deviations from the standard ceremony, like if you plan to personalize your vows or add or refrain from "giving away" or "obeying."  Also find out his fee and if he requires a rehearsal or has any restrictions on attire, the participation of children or anyone not of your religion in the wedding party, photography in the ceremony venue, or any other requirements for you and your FI.
    • Cost for ceremony
    • Will he do a reheresal a day or two before if you want it (is there a seperate cost for that)
    • What is basic outline of ceremony program
    • Unity ceremony
    • Any special things you may want to add to ceremony like if you want to honor loved ones or something
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards