Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Pashminas?

XPing this in Outdoor Weddings just to be safe...

Has anyone ever done the basket of pashminas for an outdoor ceremony in case it gets chilly? My wedding is outdoors, September 13th, 4pm in Detroit, where the weather is notoriously unpredictable. The average is 74 but we've reached a high of 98 and low of 29 in September. We do have an indoor backup plan in case of rain (or FRIGID temps), but I wondered if this might be a nice idea just in case it's just a little chillier than guests in strappy dresses accounted for. To those who have done/seen this - did guests even use them? Did it seem super lame? Did they get left behind? How many would you suggest ordering, knowing not everyone would need/want one? We're inviting 250 people. I could order them wholesale for about $4 each.

Re: Pashminas?

• Options

I have never seen this done. Only on pinterest.

I think its a nice touch if you have extra room in your budget. I put this is the same catergory as having flip flops. Nice but not neccesssary.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Oh yes, it will definitely be a "hey we have $x left in the budget, should we buy x number of pashminas?" type of call. Not going to prioritize it over anything else, but if the extra money was there I wondered if it would be a nice gesture, and what those numbers should be, i.e. "we found a spare $200 under the couch cushions, should we get 4 dozen pashminas, or is that too many, or not enough, or a terrible idea in general?"

• Options

If you have the money, I would get them for a little over half the ladies. (I assume men wouldnt use them and some ladies will bring their own) I feel like if they are offered people will use them.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We are considering doing the same thing, except we might purchase those super cheap fleece blankets. That way, guests can share and it's not just something for the ladies. Besides, if the ladies already wear coats or jackets, the pashminas can only be used as scarves. 
  • Options
    I agree that they would likely only be used by ladies. Most men will probably wear jacket anyway. I'd say getting them for probably 2/3 of women would be sufficient... so 4-dozen would probably be about right.   

• Options
    Men's formal wear is warmer then women's formal wear which I always thought was kind of funny. I know if my hubs was wearing a suit he would not mind a crisp evening while I would be VERY cold! I think the Pashmina idea is very nice, I would be pumped as a guest to get one!

Anniversary
  • Options
    Yes, definitely was only planning on the women's side of things. Although I would die to see my dad with a pashmina shawl wrapped around his shoulders!

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I've only seen this on four weddings. I would probably use one if they were offered. I would advise against putting any cutesy sign or poem on the basket. Women will know what they are for.
  • Options
    TilaT25 said:
    I've only seen this on four weddings. I would probably use one if they were offered. I would advise against putting any cutesy sign or poem on the basket. Women will know what they are for.
    Would they though, if nobody has actually seen this in real life? I don't know that if I saw a random basket of shawls sitting somewhere that I would assume they were for me to use, let alone keep. Not saying it needs a cutesy saying, but I tend to think they'd need some type of sign.

• Options

Maybe include them as wedding favor.  Although, then you need to do for all women and probably need to do something else for guys too, which means even more money.

You could do a sign that just says "pashminas, compliments of bride & groom", Or something simple like that without getting poem-y.

I plan to get nice cashmere pashminas for my BM's, MOB & MOG. I was going to put them in welcome bags I'm putting together (everyone is OOT).  But, I'll probably go ahead and get them for all female guests (that only adds 3 or 4 more... it's a small wedding).  Our wedding is on cruise ship, so it may get cool at night.  Plus, it may be cool in air conditioned areas in ship also.

• Options
    I went to a wedding last year that had them. It was a nice touch, but certainly not necessary. The wedding was in a courtyard of a hotel and the pashminas were situated next to the door in a basket. You had to pass it to enter the ceremony. I think a lot of people took them.

Again, what PPs said- nice, but not necessary.
  • Options
    I agree that there should be a sign (not a cute poem.) I would want to know if I can keep it or if I have to return it after the ceremony.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Not as elegant, but we're having an outdoor at a local stable. I'm going to be purchasing through ikea throws that are about $2 a piece. This way people could take it out at the pasture and hang out. I will have a sign though.
    For the nature of women is closely allied to art. -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
  • Options
    I've seen the ikea blankets but not pashminas. If it's really chilly, a pashmina won't keep you very warm anyway- though they're prettier.

Where did you find the cheap pashminas? My friend was looking for a bulk purchase of them and the price is great!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @wandajune6 I was looking at them <here>... my thought was if it's THAT chilly, we'd just move it inside...

• Options
    Thanks, @Lolo8383!

I'm with you on moving inside if it's cold. I'm thinking about where I am- it's usually the wind not the temperature that gets to you. But fair fair point!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    mimiphinmimiphin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    If it was cold wouldn't guests just bring a jacket??

I really don't understand this new pashmina thing all over pintrest.

• Options
    I just got mine and will be using them as part of my decor. Yes $4.5 is about right. I found them for $6 but was able to bargain to $4.5 ea for 80 pcs, try alquimiainc in etsy, these are the picture that i saw there that inspired me to use them.
  • Options
    We skipped these, and ended up having the ceremony inside anyway. The temperature was tolerable (at least for me), but my bridesmaids were cold during pictures plus I was worried the wind would blow over the arch my BIL made for me. So, last minute presto change-o, indoor ceremony. Once you truly get into the mindset of putting your guests' comfort first it's amazing how easy it is to let go of childish "but I always envisioned getting married outsiiiiiiiiiiide!"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards