Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress being discontinued, can't afford to buy now.

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if someone might have some advice for me. I've fallen in love with this White by Vera Wang dress. I haven't tried it on, but it's seriously the most beautiful dress I've seen and everything else I've looked at or tried on doesn't excited me as much as this dress does.  

It's on for a great sale at the moment, but there are not any stores near me that I can try it on. I also can't afford to buy it right now. We are getting married next July, so there's no rush, but when I emailed DB and they told me that it was discontinued I became a bit stressed out. I will be able to buy it in July, but I don't know if they will still have it by then.

Anyway, in your experience, do you think they will sell out that fast? The sizes that I could fit into are all sold out online already.

Re: Dress being discontinued, can't afford to buy now.

• cupcait927cupcait927 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014

I took a quick look on www.preownedweddingdresses.com and found a bunch that are for sale. I know that DB has it on sale right now (and for a fantastic price) but from the looks of the preowned site, you should be able to find it somewhere, even if DB no longer has it. Below is the link for the preowned dresses.

http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/used-wedding-dresses?reset=1

• First of all, try it on while they still have it in stock.  I had several dresses that I loved in photos, but didn't like so much when I tried them on.  I ended up falling in love with a completely different style when I say how they fit on my body.  So, until you actually try it on, you won't know if you actually like it or not.

If you decided that you still like it, after they are discontinued, they usually go on the clearance rack for a while at deeply discounted prices.  But, this also means limited sizes and no guarantee that they will have it available. It's all first come first served at that point. If you do find it on the rack, it may be more within your budget. But, you may need to check multiple stores to see if they have it available in your size, or you may need to buy larger and have it altered to fit. The other option, since you have some time, would be to check used dress sites to see if you can find a good deal on those sites. Even if you find one for sale now, contact the seller and ask if they would be willing to hold it for a few months until you are able to pay. If it were me selling it, I'd wouldn't have any problem holding onto it, but they also may want/need to get rid of it quicker. But, it never hurts to ask.

Or, if you really miss out and can't find it, you may be able to find something similar that will look just as amazing.

• I would not purchase it without trying it on, because you may not like it as much as in the picture. 

It's on a fantastic deal, but if you cannot afford it not you just cannot. I think you will be able to take the picture into a bridal salon when you are ready and they can find something similar when you are ready. 

I have seen a similar dress by haley paige as well.
  • And if you are unable to try it on right now, or find it to try on, find a dress that is similar style. Especially same shape/cut, because that often makes the biggest difference in whether you will like a dress or not. If you try on a similar dress and don't like it, you probably won't like this one either. Or maybe you will like the similar one better. But, if you opt for buying one used, you don't want to spend the money if you haven't tried on anything even close to it... especially if you are on a tight budget.

• This could be a great opportunity to get one after a wedding this spring.  Post on boards, look on Tradesy wedding, etc.  Buying the dress after it is worn once will save you about half the price.
  • Wait, you're getting married in July but can't afford to BUY the dress until July?

When were you planning on doing alterations?

Seriously though, make the time to go try the dress on where ever you possibly can.  It's HIGHLY possibly you will hate it when you have it on.  In which case, you've saved yourself the stress of this dress and could shop for something else. 

Then, if you DO like the way it looks ON you, go to a preowned site (as a PP has mentioned) and get it through there.

For goodness sake, don't wait to order a dress until the month of your wedding unless you're okay buying off the rack. 
  • She's getting married NEXT July, not THIS July.
  • Wait, you're getting married in July but can't afford to BUY the dress until July?

When were you planning on doing alterations?

Seriously though, make the time to go try the dress on where ever you possibly can.  It's HIGHLY possibly you will hate it when you have it on.  In which case, you've saved yourself the stress of this dress and could shop for something else. 

Then, if you DO like the way it looks ON you, go to a preowned site (as a PP has mentioned) and get it through there.

For goodness sake, don't wait to order a dress until the month of your wedding unless you're okay buying off the rack. 
    I think she means getting married July 2015 but cant buy until this July 2014. 

At least I hope :)
  • Thanks for the replies!  I guess the only thing I can really do is try it on when I am able to make it to a location and then go from there.

I am getting married July 2015, not this summer. 

Thanks again!
  • Also check local Craigslist site.  You may be able to find it on there used and be able to try on first, since it will be local. 

• I think you can return stuff if you buy on DB online. What if you buy it, just to see if you even like it, with the intention of returning it either way (since you can't afford to actually spend the money right now)? If you end up loving it, great, you have over a year to look at clearance racks and preowned sites. If not, you will stop obsessing about it. Because I do agree that without trying it (or something in a very similar style), you really have no idea if it's even going to be the right style for you.

BTW I bought my dress at DB on the clearance rack, about 1 to 1 1/2 sizes too big but on sale for $549 off from $1250. So clearly I like the clearance rack idea.
  • Gotcha!  I was like "Wait...WHUT?!!"  :)

Thanks for clarifying!!  :)
  • Does DB make you pay the full balance up front? I bought mine from a small boutique and I only had to put a $200 deposit down. They wouldn't "order" the dress from the designer until I paid 50% which I had time so I didn't need to do right away. The other 50% isn't due until the dress comes in. 

• Not sure if you'd be interested in this, but I posted for someone else who was concerned about a dress being discontinued, and the shop near where I live gave me great information about Casablanca gowns. The shop owner told me if the Allure dress I loved ended up being discontinued before  could buy, Casablanca could make me the dress custom. Maybe if you can just try it on first and decide if you like it, that could be an option if a shop close to you sells Casablanca?

• I believe in fate.  If you are supposed to have that dress, there will be a way, and it will happen.  If you can't get that dress, then there will be a new style coming out next spring that will be perfect for you.  It will happen.  You will find the perfect dress.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards