Ohio-Columbus

Need Photographer on a Tight Budget!!

Alright Knotties, 

We are on a really tight budget for photography...our original plan was using a professional photographer that I am friends with/modeled for before, and that fell through.  So we've allotted about $1500 for photography.  Although honestly it would be great to get something closer to $1200, but we won't be breaking the bank if we have to spend a little over $1500.  Our wedding is Oct. 25 at the Franklin Park Conservatory, so I'm trying to do this right away before any more get booked up.

I've already contacted My Studio 23 and Amy Rebecca and they are both already booked.  I heard back from Jessica Miller that she is available, but her packages seem to start at $2300, so a little over what I'm looking for.  

Does anyone have reviews of Mia Jade or Curtis Wallis?  Both of them have responded to me, and are within our budget, but I haven't heard much about them on these boards.  I've also contacted Ed Vaflor, Ben Barnes (I don't think his prices were on his website though) and Kristin Bliss but haven't heard back yet.  Or is there anyone else I could look into?

We're not having engagement photos done so I figured that could be a way to negotiate them into knocking a little bit off the price.  And we don't need any prints, just the digital files.  The only problem is that we were planning on doing all the group shots/portraits before the ceremony at 4:00, with dinner and reception immediately following.  So that's like 10 hours of coverage that we'd need and a lot of photogs within our budget are for 8 hours.  So do I book them for 8 hours and then they leave the reception early and I just hope to get pictures from family/friends for the remainder of the reception?  

@photokitty, I thought you might have some input here.  You've been a great help with everything else so far!

Re: Need Photographer on a Tight Budget!!

• Also just found Ron Walker, so that's another in-budget option.
  • Truthfully - I don't think your budget is that "tight".  You are in the pricing world of experienced and professional service ... seriously.  

Have you check out Mia Jade or Curtis Wallis facebook - or googled them?  That might be another way to check them out .. you know ... see if they pop up in blogs and stuff.  Also, I think Mia Jade is a group and Curtis Wallis is a person, so make sure you know WHO your photographer will be.  That might help you decide.  

Finally re:  8 hours vs 10 hours.... I think it's all negotiable.  How many photographers (just one or second shooter or two for pre and wedding, and then just one?  etc...)   Also, I think time is negotiable, and I think what you get might be, too.  Just ask - the answer will be yes no or maybe... won't hurt!  

And search here on these pages ... this topic has come up before and lots of ideas have been shared.  Good Luck

• I checked out its all hue- itsallhue.com I love their work. Also laurensphotographs.com (i think that's her website) they do franklin park conservatory weddings and everything I've seen from them is beautiful!
  • I'm actually little help on the under $2K photo options. I selected someone for $2250 (I think) and he was the cheapest person I was impressed with. I'm super picky - for obvious reasons PHOTOkitty - about photography and the people I really wanted were $3200 and $4K, but I wasn't willing to pay that. Let me look around and see if I have any rec…

I checked out the 3 you mentioned.
    Mia has good images, but I worry they are all from Shannon and what her rate is as the top dog.
    Curtis looks like he might be decent.
    I was very unimpressed with Ron's images.
    THIS IS JUST IMHO

If you have specific question about photogs and what to look for feel free to ask :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I think you can cut back on your hours a bit...  I really wanted getting ready pictures and since our photography team showed up early (standard practice plus extra early due to bad weather) she went ahead and started shooting.  I got some cute pictures, but honestly, I'm glad I didn't pay for the extra coverage.

Also, you don't need to have them stay to the very end unless you are doing a grand exist.  Once they get some pictures of people dancing (assuming you have dancing) you don't need that many.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • PS You really don't need a lot of photos after the dancing starts at the recp. They should be able to get everything in an hour or two as long as you don't have something special planned. You have to prioritize, and dancing photos won't go on your wall. Family portraits and group shots before the ceremony will be more useful in the long run :)

• Laurens photography is a husband and wife team so you get 2 shooters.
  • My classmate from HS starts at $2200 - you could check her out if you find some wiggle room int he budget. Becky at FM Photo. I think she does nice work. SHe has trained with Nicole Dixon, who is excellent and pricey!

Can you cut form your budget elsewhere to increase your photo budget? Favors aren't needed. Programs, menus, other extra paper printing costs. Candles for centerpieces instead of flowers? Your photo budget is tight and it's one thing you can't redo. :)

• Thanks for all the input!

@donethat, I'm from the D.C. area, where most photogs start at like $6k, so I guess that's why I think $1500 is really tight!  And yes I have googled everyone I've mentioned.  My bachelor's is in journalism and I'm working on my master's in criminal justice...so needless to say I'm a stickler about researching things!  Haha.

@AprilH81, thanks for that recommendation about the getting ready photos.  I do want some of those, but we can surely take them on a family member's DSLR camera and I'm sure they'll be great.  Same for the dancing photos.  We haven't decided about a grand exit yet, so that's something to think about.  

@photokitty, thanks for checking those people out!  :)  Shannon responded to me with her price sheet and it is broken down by experience of photographer...so yes she is the most expensive.
  • edited March 2014
    Thanks for all the input!

@donethat, I'm from the D.C. area, where most photogs start at like $6k, so I guess that's why I think $1500 is really tight!  And yes I have googled everyone I've mentioned.  My bachelor's is in journalism and I'm working on my master's in criminal justice...so needless to say I'm a stickler about researching things!  Haha.

@AprilH81, thanks for that recommendation about the getting ready photos.  I do want some of those, but we can surely take them on a family member's DSLR camera and I'm sure they'll be great.  Same for the dancing photos.  We haven't decided about a grand exit yet, so that's something to think about.  

@photokitty, thanks for checking those people out!  :)  Shannon responded to me with her price sheet and it is broken down by experience of photographer...so yes she is the most expensive.
    Out of curiosity…how much was she? Which one was the cheapest - the "new talent?"
    The bio concern me as they don't give any indication of each photog's experience.
    See I think your budget is tight as most of the decent photog in Cbus start at $3K and plenty are over $4K for full coverage. But even as a photog myself - I think that's plan crazy :-p

• Sammyantha13  
    PS - I didn't realize you were a Jcom. I was an Ag Comm but was photo editor of the Lantern and the Makio (Yearbook) How did you end up in criminal justice?? :)

• @Sammyantha13

I used Ron Walker and was really happy with him. Our pictures turned out great and he and his son got a lot of great pictures from the ceremony and reception. We really wanted a lot of posed family pictures and he did a great job with those, plus the candids are really nice. His pictures are not very stylized, which I liked because I dislike some of the popular trends right now, however, I know some people prefer that, so it's something to consider. 

I had a friend in college who used Curtis Wallis and really recommended him. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is a cut and paste from a posting I made a few weeks ago re: new company.  My ref is from someone's senior pics, but the website has wedding examples:  "A friend of mine used JoAnn for her daughter's senior pics .... and they were very happy.  New company maybe equals not as expensive?  Might check it out.  http://www.threecharmsphotography.com/"

Finally, I do know and can vouch for a very experienced and professional photographer who I don't usually champion on this board because he books up quickly ... check him out .... John Croyle https://www.facebook.com/JohnCroyleWeddingPhotography

• @photokitty, for Shannon's service she is $1450 for 6 hours, and $175 for each additional hour.  The 'seasoned' photographers are $1225 for 6 hours and the 'new' photographers (meaning they've had at least one wedding season of second shooting) are $999 for 6 hours.  So yes I guess they don't really disclose this on their website but she emailed all the info to me about the different levels of photographers. 

I wrote for the Lantern in 2010 and 2011 and was a copy editor!  I chose journalism because I wanted to be a news anchor, but OSU didn't have many broadcasting classes.  I like writing okay, but it's not what I want for a career and I refuse to cover politics, haha.  So three years after graduating I've decided to go back to school for criminal justice.  When at OSU I became really interested in anti-human trafficking efforts so I would like to do something with that.  I'm working on my master's through Michigan State...my second-favorite B1G school!  ;)
  • @saacjw, thanks for the recommendation.  I contacted him and he's already booked for our date.  

I found Azar photography and LOOOVED his work, I called and emailed him and it turns out he is already booked too.  I'm so disappointed because I really wanted to use him.  :'(
  • I'm in a wedding next year that is using Sarah Elizabeth Photography. I think she's around 1500, but don't quote me. Good luck with your search!
  • I'm not sure if you found anyone yet but look into 222 Photography, Brian Gluys is fantastic!  I hired him for my Halloween 2014 wedding and my engagement pictures. I can't remember his exact pricing but I want to say it is around $1800 and that includes engagement session, all day coverage, two shooters and your photos digitally.  

Hope that helps!
  • We ended up booking Curtis Wallis!  I showed FI work from a few people that I had narrowed it down to and FI liked Curtis the best.  He was good about working with our price and is giving us all day coverage.  I'm excited!  Thanks for the comments, everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards