Wedding Party

Bridesmaid Trouble

I will try to keep this short but need some help! I got engaged nearly a year ago and asked my little sister to be my maid of honor and a close friend to be my "honorary" maid of honor. I wanted my sister to be my maid of honor, but wanted to honor my friend as well. Over time, she became very domineering with both my sister and me and seemed to feel entitled to be involved in all of the details. I really liked her desire to be involved, but it began to feel more like wanting to plan parties than being supportive. 

My fiance and I have A LOT going on right now that has taken priority over wedding planning, so not much has been done in regards to the planning in the last two months. My friend took this as "being cut out" and brought it up to me several times, even though I had told her I just had a lot of stressful items other than the wedding on my plate and planning had just been moved to the backburner. She continued to complain about it and give me the cold shoulder and then she made a comment under her breath that she found one of my other bridesmaids annoying. This really bothered me and the cold shoulder continued on-and-off. I decided that this was just too much drama for me and told her that I felt like like the ambiguity of the honorary maid of honor title was causing issues and that I could tell she'd been upset with me. I told her I really wanted her input and it was important to me to have her be part of everything, but, given the way things had been going, I thought it might be easier if my sister took the lead. I told her I knew she felt like she was being cut out, but that wasn't the case and I was sorry if I hadn't communicated well enough all along that it meant a lot to my sister and me for her to be my Maid of Honor. I told her that she is my best friend and I wanted to honor her, but that I didn't want it to upset her or continue to cause drama. I also addressed the comment she made about my other bridesmaid. I told her I was sorry that she doesn't like her, but that she is very important to me and that I didn't like hearing make negative comments about someone I care about. I also told her that I would say the same thing to anyone else if I heard them make comments like that about her. I told that I hoped she still wanted to be involved and excited about helping plan.

She said that was fine and I asked her if she wanted to talk more about it and she said she had nothing else to say. Since then, she has just ignored me. I sent her a bridesmaid dress in an email and asked her if she liked it and she ignored me until I texted her and then she gave me a very curt response.

I am wondering if I should ask her at this point if she still wants to be involved at all? I want her to be a part of it, but don't want someone standing at the altar with me that is harboring negative feelings toward me, or for this to put a damper on bridal showers, bachelorette parties, etc. Any advice on how to approach or mend this? I would really appreciate any advice!

Re: Bridesmaid Trouble

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    I will try to keep this short but need some help! I got engaged nearly a year ago and asked my little sister to be my maid of honor and a close friend to be my "honorary" maid of honor. I wanted my sister to be my maid of honor, but wanted to honor my friend as well. Over time, she became very domineering with both my sister and me and seemed to feel entitled to be involved in all of the details. I really liked her desire to be involved, but it began to feel more like wanting to plan parties than being supportive. 

My fiance and I have A LOT going on right now that has taken priority over wedding planning, so not much has been done in regards to the planning in the last two months. My friend took this as "being cut out" and brought it up to me several times, even though I had told her I just had a lot of stressful items other than the wedding on my plate and planning had just been moved to the backburner. She continued to complain about it and give me the cold shoulder and then she made a comment under her breath that she found one of my other bridesmaids annoying. This really bothered me and the cold shoulder continued on-and-off. I decided that this was just too much drama for me and told her that I felt like like the ambiguity of the honorary maid of honor title was causing issues and that I could tell she'd been upset with me. I told her I really wanted her input and it was important to me to have her be part of everything, but, given the way things had been going, I thought it might be easier if my sister took the lead. I told her I knew she felt like she was being cut out, but that wasn't the case and I was sorry if I hadn't communicated well enough all along that it meant a lot to my sister and me for her to be my Maid of Honor. I told her that she is my best friend and I wanted to honor her, but that I didn't want it to upset her or continue to cause drama. I also addressed the comment she made about my other bridesmaid. I told her I was sorry that she doesn't like her, but that she is very important to me and that I didn't like hearing make negative comments about someone I care about. I also told her that I would say the same thing to anyone else if I heard them make comments like that about her. I told that I hoped she still wanted to be involved and excited about helping plan.

She said that was fine and I asked her if she wanted to talk more about it and she said she had nothing else to say. Since then, she has just ignored me. I sent her a bridesmaid dress in an email and asked her if she liked it and she ignored me until I texted her and then she gave me a very curt response.

I am wondering if I should ask her at this point if she still wants to be involved at all? I want her to be a part of it, but don't want someone standing at the altar with me that is harboring negative feelings toward me, or for this to put a damper on bridal showers, bachelorette parties, etc. Any advice on how to approach or mend this? I would really appreciate any advice!
    First, there's no such thing as an "honorary" MOH. One either is or is not a MOH. If you asked 2 people to be any kind of MOH, then you have 2 MsOH. Telling her you were putting your sister as "the lead" was a demotion in her eyes, and you were wrong for that and owe her an apology. 

Do not ask her if she still wants to be involved. Start doing things and talking to her as a FRIEND, not a member of the wedding party. Then gradually add back any necessary wedding elements (such as info she needs about ordering a dress). If she wants to take herself out of the wedding, she will. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Why did you choose your wedding party more than a year before you wedding?  That is guaranteed drama.  If you had waited until about 7 months before the wedding, as we always advise people to do, then you wouldn't be in this situation.
    There is no such thing as an "honorary" MOH.
    You mentioned that your friend is not being "supportive".  Huh?  All she has to do is to buy the dress, show up sober, smile for the camera, walk down the aisle, and stand next to you while you say your vows.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • What is an honorary maid of honor?
  • I think you just need to talk to you friend and let her know that she needs to respect some boundaries.  If being an actual maid of honor is important to her, could you have two? Your sister and your friend?  But whether she is a honorary maid of honor or an actual maid of honor or a bridesmaid, you are still the bride and she does not need to know every little detail.  Just talk to her and tell her how you feel and how her actions are affecting you.  If your friendship to each other is true, then she should understand and take a step back.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards