Not Engaged Yet

deleted

Re: deleted

• Why on earth make this your first post? It's none of your business why anyone picks the rings they do - we're all capable of doing this research in the context of our own relationships when the time is right. And you thought the best way to pass on this information was to preach at us?
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Congratulations for sharing your entirely unsolicited opinion regarding your moral superiority. Judging from all the pre-med students I deal with on a regular basis, I'm entirely unsurprised.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • edited March 2014
    this smells like a fishy undercover vendor post. 

go away.  you're annoying.

ETA:  @KnotPorscha, can you make this go away and ban the dude?
  • abiding345abiding345 newb
    First Comment
    edited March 2014
    removed
    First Comment
    edited March 2014
    removed

First Comment
    edited March 2014
    removed
  • Wow, you're a pretentious one aren't you? My engagement ring isn't a diamond; should I share with you the ethical, moral, historical, and sentimental reasons DH bought me a sapphire?

I mean, you didn't ask, but since you shoved your un-asked-for opinion down the throats of a forum you're not a contributing member of, I figure that's how you like it.

Your initial post was too damn long, too damn boring, not fucking asked for, not fucking wanted, and not fucking needed.

You clearly meant to preach from your perceived moral high horse of ethical behaviour. Take that high horse of yours and ride on back the fuck out of here. Nobody cares.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • phiraphira member
    @hisgirlfriday13 Not to mention the fucking absurdity of, "Break free of the bullshit that tells you you HAVE to have a diamond engagement ring!" followed by, "Well, of COURSE you have to have some kind of engagement ring, society says so!"
    Anniversary
  • @phira, exactly!! I mean, DH proposed in December, and gave me a ring in March.

Between December and March, we: booked a venue, booked a photographer, booked a DJ, booked a church, booked a priest, chose the flowers, I picked my dress, DH picked his and his GMs' attire, bought the GMs' ties, started our pre-Cana, DH started his RCIA, picked our attendants, and a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting at midnight.

Because, you know, clearly I needed a FUCKING RING to conform to societal norms. Planning our wedding was inappropriate without a ring. /sarcasm
    Anniversary

• @abiding345

@HisGirlFriday we're so glad you're part of NEY (shout out to @Phira too!)

@knotporscha can we make this go away? please?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

First Comment
    edited March 2014

removed

@abiding345, is it normal for someone to start a conversation with complete strangers by citing a bunch of random articles in order to share an unsolicited opinion? Hmmm...probably not. The same concept could be applied to an online forum. Your introduction post could've been geared towards telling us more about who you are, your current relationship status, asking for feedback on a current situation, or asking a general question to find out what standpoint other posters have on a specific subject (for your post, "what standpoint do you take on diamonds?") 

Now, lets look at your first post: a) you haven't contributed to this board, and you've never posted on this forum, b) your first post was attention whore-y by stating your moral superiority of not purchasing a diamond, c) you came off as passive aggressive/condescending when other posters commented on your thread (I wish you the best of luck in your wedding planning...come on really?), and d) you opened yourself up to criticism by posting. 

If you actually bothered to read through previous threads, you'd've seen that there's a decent mix of diamond and gemstone e-rings across the boards. Whichever stone a poster chooses with their FI is their decision, and your opinion or approval for their choice isn't needed. 
  • I'm so sad I missed this.
  • Woah! What'd I miss?!
  • phiraphira member
    SUPER fucking long post by someone who says they're a physician who couldn't "morally or financially" afford a diamond. Long list of reasons why the diamond industry is terrible, and then a plug for moissanite because, apparently, all the reasons to get an engagement ring are made up BUT you totally HAVE to get one because society, so you should get moissanite.
    Anniversary
  • Hmm, I missed the moissanite plug, @phira - I thought there was an alternative gem (ruby, sapphire, emerald) plug instead?
  • phira said:
    Congratulations for sharing your entirely unsolicited opinion regarding your moral superiority. Judging from all the pre-med students I deal with on a regular basis, I'm entirely unsurprised.

Hey now......Granted I do not have the benefit of reading the original post.  But on the surface, I do take offense at the generalization about med students.  Full disclosure; both my son and his wife are physicians.  They are about the most unmaterialistic people in the world.  They are kind, thoughtful, and hard working.  There are also many brides and brides-to-be on these boards, ( RajahBMFD comes to mind), who also do not seem to have an attitude of moral superiority.
  • phiraphira member
    @mobkaz That's fair; there are lots of great students and doctors. However, I deal with about 100 pre-med students every year, and most of them are very entitled and unrealistic about medical school. The OP of this thread kept mentioning that they were a physician over and over, which makes me suspect that they're more like the students I'm used to than your son or daughter-in-law.
    Anniversary
  • As fucked up as this sounds, I think we should nominate at least a few individuals on this board to archive BSC threads (either through this board, or on the others). If the post gets deleted, or removed, at least we will have something to go on. 
  • I have to agree about the quoting.  There has been an influx of newly engaged, and they all seem to be trigger happy when it comes to deleting their first few posts.  Then there is that rare breed that begins posting, fixin' for a fight right out of the gate.  Either way, it should be mandatory that any poster with "newb" or "first post" status be quoted on an automatic basis.

• But mostly just at quoting crazy posts! Honestly, I didn't even think OP would come back. It seemed more like an I'm just gonna put this here and they'll never hear again from me post. I wish I had seen OP's responses!

• Noooo I missed it!
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I should have quoted. I know better. I was on mobile and I hate quoting 'cause it effs up my quote boxes. 

Dammit!!
    Anniversary

• @bethsmiles, I didn't think he'd be back either, which is why I didn't even bother replying, let alone quoting. I think we're all just out of practice from the alarming lack of crazy around here lately - we'll remember next time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards