Attire & Accessories Forum

Where to buy a tiara?

2»

Re: Where to buy a tiara?

• I think if the people that love you are going to talk shit about you at your wedding because you wear a tiara then you need to find new friends. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Yes internet strangers can tell you that they don't like them, but I can't imagine your nearest and dearest bad mouthing you for it. It's so inconsequential! If it's your style then go for it.

I don't have any suggestions on where to get one other than a place like David's Bridal.
    I have been to a lot of weddings and yes, I have made a lot of observations "or shit talking" about things that were at said weddings.  That is just life.  I would never tell the bride that she looks like she belongs on Toddler and Tiaras but I would whisper it to my H.  I would also never tell the couple that I think their color scheme is ugly, but I would say it to my H.  Making observations is normal and even if my best friend decided to wear a tiara I still wouldn't like it.  I wouldn't tell her I didn't like it because it would hurt her feelings, but I would still have the same feelings about them as I do now.  That is the great thing about this forum.  You get honest answers about things.

• Carrie Underwood wore a tiara - go for it!
    Yeah and she looked like a contestant on Toddlers and Tiaras.  Not a mature 20 something getting married.

I'd be wiling to bet that Carrie Underwood doesn't care about your opinion on her tiara, just like the OP shouldn't. 

Were this something egregious, like if she had asked "I'm hosting a potluck wedding, what kind of plates should I use?" and everyone chimed in telling her how bad of an idea a potluck wedding is because her guests will suffer, then that's one thing.  But criticizing a personal style choice that does not affect the comfort of her guests is, well, petty.  And I am willing to bet that for every bride here, someone attending their wedding thought some part of their wedding day attire was ugly/childish/dumb/etc.  Should that stop them from wearing what makes them happy?  My sister told me that my dress was ugly - sure didn't stop me from wearing it!

This is all reminding me of those petty brides on Four Weddings that mark down other brides just because they don't like their dress or something.  The weddings are perfectly hosted and follow the rules of etiquette, and then they cut away to a guest bride who says "The food was perfect, the ceremony and decor were great, but her dress wasn't my taste so I'm giving her a 6."

I am sure she wouldn't.  But OP opened herself up to opinions by posting on these boards.

And to the second bolded.  That is the whole point of the show.  To tear each wedding down bit by bit and to get their opinion on everything, even if that means that they hate tiaras or thought the brides dress was ugly.

• I think if the people that love you are going to talk shit about you at your wedding because you wear a tiara then you need to find new friends. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Yes internet strangers can tell you that they don't like them, but I can't imagine your nearest and dearest bad mouthing you for it. It's so inconsequential! If it's your style then go for it.

I don't have any suggestions on where to get one other than a place like David's Bridal.

have you ever BEEN to a wedding or other function, like, in life?   People talk shit all the time.  it's just not billed as "talking shit".  they say "wow, that tiara makes her look like a child".  or, "um, I thought you weren't supposed to wear a tux before 6pm?"   Or, "I'm really surprised she wore a mermaid dress, with her figure".  They don't see it as talking shit.  It's just an observation. 

Yes I've been to weddings and when I'm at a wedding of a loved one I'm saying things like "she looks so beautiful" or "I'm so happy that she's getting married". Saying mean things behind my friend's back is catty and that's not my style. 

A bride's personal style is just that, her personal style. If a bride wants to wear a tiara on her wedding day then she has every right to do that. I just fail to see how putting down the OP for wanting to wear one is necessary. 

have you ever BEEN to a wedding or other function, like, in life?   People talk shit all the time.  it's just not billed as "talking shit".  they say "wow, that tiara makes her look like a child".  or, "um, I thought you weren't supposed to wear a tux before 6pm?"   Or, "I'm really surprised she wore a mermaid dress, with her figure".  They don't see it as talking shit.  It's just an observation. 

Yes I've been to weddings and when I'm at a wedding of a loved one I'm saying things like "she looks so beautiful" or "I'm so happy that she's getting married". Saying mean things behind my friend's back is catty and that's not my style. 

A bride's personal style is just that, her personal style. If a bride wants to wear a tiara on her wedding day then she has every right to do that. I just fail to see how putting down the OP for wanting to wear one is necessary. 

No one is putting her down. And I already said, if she wants to wear one, she should do that.  But, people WILL side-eye her whether you want to acknowledge that or not. 

My partner wore a tux at our 3pm somewhat casual wedding.   Yep, totally against tuxedo etiquette.  But, that's what my partner wanted to wear...  so be it.  But, I am sure there were people that were like, "um, a little formal for a 3pm park wedding, don't you think?"   I accepted that and blew it off.  But, it doesn't change that people will still say it.

• David's Bridal has some really nice headpieces. They're still beautiful, but they are not crown shaped/don't look like beauty pageant things.

• I actually was thinking of wearing a "tiara" similar to the picture that you attached, very low profile but still bling.. I saw one with pearls at Davids Bridal, but craft stores may carry it for 1/2 the price... I'm wondering about wearing something like the with a lace dress; clash of periods? Just something to think about down the road in accessory planning.
  • Tbh I'm not a big fan of tiaras, but when my FI needed one for a charity event we went to Claire's and were pleasantly surprised with how nice some of them were (yes, he had to dress up as a pretty ballerina princess- we roared, and the local children's hospital made a nice chunk of change from it, ha!).

I'd say prom season is the ideal time to go because they'll have a bigger assortment of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards