Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invitation Budget

How much is too much to spend on Save the Dates and Invitations?  I have no idea where to even begin with setting a budget, we were thinking originally $700 (even though I would ideally like to spend less than that).  I don't have the time to DIY so I would be hiring someone to design them for me.

Re: Invitation Budget

• Nobody can answer how much is too much to spend b/c everyone's budget is different. For me, $700 would be way too much on paper products that get thrown away. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We spent $50 on save the dates from Vista Print. That included them addressing them and mailing them out for me. I also bought my invitations from Vista Print when they had a sale. I paid $106 for invitation, rely cards, and envelopes. I would never dream of spending $700 on paper stuff, but if its in your budget and that's what you want to do there is nothing wrong with that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm a stationery whore and if we had a crazy unlimited budget, I would have spent $700 on invitations (mmm, custom letterpress...). But yeah, that's definitely on the high end. I think we spent about $200 on invitations, reply cards, and envelopes.

You don't need to hire someone to design something for you. There are tons of websites that have customizable designs, from Crane to Etsy and Minted.
  • I'm with the others here. Don't know your total budget for the wedding, but I spent $30 on STD's from Walgreen's and $90 on invitations, envelopes, reply cards, and matching thank you notes at Vista print when they had a sale. $50 on postage. I saw a girl on Bridezeillas get this jewelry box looking thing for an invitation and they were like $40 per person. That blows my mind lol 

• I'm hoping to spend no more than $2 a person for invites, so no more than $120. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • tammym1001tammym1001 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2014
    I spent $6.50 per invite plus postage ($2.32 per invite for postage) and I made them myself. I definitely think it all depends on your budget and how important it is to you to have expensive invitations.
  • We spent $15 on STDs. We bought blank cards at Hallmark and printed them at home. $700 is waaay too much for me to spend on paper. But if your budget allows for that, then good for you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow you guys found some great deals! I spent about 160 on magnets for save the dates (magnet street), and a little under 300 on invitations (the american wedding). The magnet street invitations would have been 600 just for the invitations, reply cards, envelopes etc.  

I had set a budget of 750, but we are under that, including stamps. I'm also not doing any DIY stuff, so this was really the best I could find for invitations. 

• I spent 1500 on invites and 300 on save the dates. We needed 125 of each. 700 is definitely realistic for using a stationer. How many invites do you need? 700 may even get you letterpress if you don't need like 100 invites.
  • I'll have to check out some of those websites. We only need 50 of each.
  • I shopped around and in the end spent about $200 for 100 classic style invitations with all the typical inserts.  I couldn't imagine spending much more.  We did, however, really splurge on our honeymoon where many people wouldn't dream of spending all kinds of money.  Everyone's priorities are different.  I think you need to look at your overall budget and prioritize.
  • I am ordering my invitations from Invitations by Dawn. They have sales and coupon codes all the time, and it looks like our invitations with inserts (72 of each) with inner and outer envelopes plus our address printed on the RSVP envelope will be right around $200. Postage-wise, they should be either forever stamp-able or might be one step up - either way, we should stay under our $300 total budget.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• We spent about $380 on 150 invitations (2 cards w/ envelopes) and then the cost of stamps will be added in. Our photographer designed them, so they're really nice. We spent about $98 on 80 STD's that our photographer also designed. Check around for deals and designers, there's a lot of options out there.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    There are many options.  I would rather have a simple, inexpensive invitation that is correctly worded and personally addressed to me than a very expensive invitation that is poorly worded and has sticky labels on it.  (Ewww!)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

I made my own and spent probably around $150-200 total for 50 invitations, not including postage.  This was for the invite, pocketfold and 4 enclosures   I skipped STD's - we verbally let most people (especially closest friends and family and anyone out of town) know the date as soon as it was set.   I didn't really make them myself to save money, I just wanted to make them.  

• We spent about $400 for STD's and $1300 for invitations. To be honest, I wasn't happy with them - didn't even get letterpress for that amount and only ordered 125. I loved the STD's though, so there's that. I'm trying to love the invitations before I send them out, but I just think they look cheap for what we spent. Anyway, I'd say 700 for 50 invites seems a bit high - unless you were having something custom designed for you.
  • We spent under $50 on StD magnets from Vistaprint and around $150 for invites/reception cards/rsvp cards/thank you's in matching design from Vistaprint (80 of each with envelopes). I figure, the invites will get thrown away anyway, so that was on the low end of our budget and we 'allocated' the money we saved to catering.  It seems anytime we save money, it always gets redirected to the catering/bar budget! 
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

We met with a stationer for our invitations and spent just under $6 per set for 100 invitations (invitation, inner envelope, outer envelope, rsvp card, rsvp card envelope)...however, it's all about your budget and how much you're comfortable spending. Granted we got ours on sale (25 were free) so it would've been $8 per for full price. My sister spent around $750 on her invites but she also ordered a larger quantity than I did. I had the budget for it so I decided to splurge a little since it was important to me. Yes, it's something that will get thrown away by most of your guests, but you'll probably keep a few copies for yourself, your parents may keep theirs, your FI's parents, etc.

I think $700 for only 50 invitations seems really high ($14 per set). I think you can get a high quality invitation for less than that (thermography, return address printing, top tier brand, etc.).

• We spent $1000 for 155 invitations ordered from Etsy. FI picked them, and I love them, but as soon as I paid I started thinking it was a waste of money!
  • $700 is WAY too much for 50 invitations! I think mine came to $4-something apiece (for 150, from Carlson Craft) and they're really nice. Gold foil embossing, moire paper layered on heavy cardstock, double envelopes, etc. Save the Dates were simple postcards from Vista Print... I think I spent maybe $30 on them.

• jessica71783jessica71783 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2014
    Depending on where you are getting them from and what colors they can get in bulk is the main issue with having them done. I've done a few handmade weddings now for people and I agree $700 is pretty pricey unless you are having like a super top notch formal event. I just started on Etsy and There are some people on there who really gauge you with pricing. just spend a little time to do some research. For something similar to the photos below you really shouldn't need to go over $2-$3/invite to get something nice. The save the date was a magnet and the third picture is a pocket folder. one insert was wedding info, one was travel info, one general info. and a space to save away for their destination wedding. If you have ideas of what you are looking for check on Closetomyheart.com or stampin up and see if your color palette is available in packaging and not by the sheet like michaels or jo ann fabrics would be. If you need help just ask. I'd be happy to make them for you. Good Luck with everything!

• edited April 2014
    @jessica71783 those pics are cringe worthy!  please do not advertise your business here, it's against the tos.  especially when your work is riddled with faux-pas.  thanks and BYE.

@knotporscha vendor spam!
  • I spent 110$ for 150 invites, but I did have to do it myself. I would estimate 300$ at most, depending on what your taste is. Stamps will cost you a fortune though. I have spent more on stamps than invites...in fact, I think I might of doubled it.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I think it depends on the area and the type of invite. 

I am having a friend do mine, he owns a company that does invitations. I didn't want to assume he would give me a deal so I looked up the average cost and calculated it based on the high side because I want the invites to be high end. Here is my estimated break down. 

Guest List is 70

Invites: $5 per invitation (Includes postage there and back)
    Calligraphy $4 per invitation 
    Save the Dates: $2.50 per STD (Includes postage)

Estimating 35 Invitations (Almost everyone we are inviting is a couple and will be addressed together)

Estimating 15 STD - these are only going out to VIP and Out of State or Country guests.

Total $363
  • Depending on where you are getting them from and what colors they can get in bulk is the main issue with having them done. I've done a few handmade weddings now for people and I agree $700 is pretty pricey unless you are having like a super top notch formal event. I just started on Etsy and There are some people on there who really gauge you with pricing. just spend a little time to do some research. For something similar to the photos below you really shouldn't need to go over $2-$3/invite to get something nice. The save the date was a magnet and the third picture is a pocket folder. one insert was wedding info, one was travel info, one general info. and a space to save away for their destination wedding. If you have ideas of what you are looking for check on Closetomyheart.com or stampin up and see if your color palette is available in packaging and not by the sheet like michaels or jo ann fabrics would be. If you need help just ask. I'd be happy to make them for you. my etsy store is www.etsy.com/shop/(removed) you can check out some of my other stuff. Good Luck with everything!

You charge $2-$3 for THAT?  You're kidding, right?

• JoanE2012 said:
    Depending on where you are getting them from and what colors they can get in bulk is the main issue with having them done. I've done a few handmade weddings now for people and I agree $700 is pretty pricey unless you are having like a super top notch formal event. I just started on Etsy and There are some people on there who really gauge you with pricing. just spend a little time to do some research. For something similar to the photos below you really shouldn't need to go over $2-$3/invite to get something nice. The save the date was a magnet and the third picture is a pocket folder. one insert was wedding info, one was travel info, one general info. and a space to save away for their destination wedding. If you have ideas of what you are looking for check on Closetomyheart.com or stampin up and see if your color palette is available in packaging and not by the sheet like michaels or jo ann fabrics would be. If you need help just ask. I'd be happy to make them for you. my etsy store is www.etsy.com/shop/(removed) you can check out some of my other stuff. Good Luck with everything!

where in my post did I say that was what I charged for that? For the amount of paper shown, RSVPcards (not shown), envelopes (not shown) and postage (not shown) 2-3 dollars is not that expensive. At no point did I say that it was what I charged for those exact pieces. They were only ment as ideas of layering paper, different (outside the box) ideas. I wish there was a way to delete it because this message board is ridiculous! Every bride should be able to have every aspect of their wedding the way THEY want it and not have to do things to please other people.  

• JoanE2012 said:
    Depending on where you are getting them from and what colors they can get in bulk is the main issue with having them done. I've done a few handmade weddings now for people and I agree $700 is pretty pricey unless you are having like a super top notch formal event. I just started on Etsy and There are some people on there who really gauge you with pricing. just spend a little time to do some research. For something similar to the photos below you really shouldn't need to go over $2-$3/invite to get something nice. The save the date was a magnet and the third picture is a pocket folder. one insert was wedding info, one was travel info, one general info. and a space to save away for their destination wedding. If you have ideas of what you are looking for check on Closetomyheart.com or stampin up and see if your color palette is available in packaging and not by the sheet like michaels or jo ann fabrics would be. If you need help just ask. I'd be happy to make them for you. my etsy store is www.etsy.com/shop/(removed) you can check out some of my other stuff. Good Luck with everything!

where in my post did I say that was what I charged for that? For the amount of paper shown, RSVPcards (not shown), envelopes (not shown) and postage (not shown) 2-3 dollars is not that expensive. At no point did I say that it was what I charged for those exact pieces. They were only ment as ideas of layering paper, different (outside the box) ideas. I wish there was a way to delete it because this message board is ridiculous! Every bride should be able to have every aspect of their wedding the way THEY want it and not have to do things to please other people.  
    You said, "for something similar to the photos below you really shouldn't need to go over $2-$3/invite to get something nice".  YOU made those invitations.  YOU gave the price range!

And yes, $2-$3 is alot of money for THOSE invitations.  I don't care if the photo is missing the envelope or RSVP card.  They just don't look appealing or of high quality.  They look like an arts and craft project with colored construction paper.

I see you edited your post to remove your shop your shop name but you still are asking OP to contact you if she wants you to make them.  That's still soliciting and is against the TOS that you accepted when you signed up.  

@Knot Porscha - vendor alert
  • OMG! @Jessica71783,  if you actually expect to make a business with invitations, you need to read a book about basic invitation wording!  The wording in your samples is so bad it is funny!  LOL!  That pre-wedding wedding announcement is ridiculous, and horribly rude and gift grabby!  What are you thinking?
    Ditto about advertising here.  You are not welcome to promote your business on The Knot.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We spent about 130 on save the date magnets (magnet street) and then 270 on invitations (with the response cards, envelopes, etc--done by a local printer). We had 125 invites printed. I couldn't find anything with hydrangeas in my color scheme and made the mistake of buying an etsy pdf and trying to do it myself, which ended up being a disaster. I had to take the pdf to a local printer (who commented on the poor quality of the pdf---they compared it to clip art) and they did some doctoring it up, and it's beautiful. I don't know how many invitations you were looking to do, because your budget depends on how many people you're sending them out to. Also, are you including postage in your budget? That is a big thing that adds up. You have postage for your save the dates, postage for your invitations, postage for your response cards, postage for your bridal shower thank you notes, and postage for your wedding thank you notes.
  • So maybe you gals have some advice (don't want to start a new thread!). FI wants to do online RSVPs to save money on postage and envelopes. I like the idea of paper RSVPs much better given the formality of our wedding. It isn't a backyard BBQ type of occasion although it isn't the fanciest in town either. I'm using WW's website because I liked their options better, and I had my MOH test the online RSVP system. It worked fine, but I am still really unsure that is the way I want to go. There is only one person on our guest list who wouldn't be physically able to RSVP online and that's my grandmother but she couldn't even send in the card. She has Alzheimer's. How do I convince FI that traditional rsvps are the way to go?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards