Chit Chat

Advice from Jezebel

I love wedding advice! I just saw this from Jezebel.com: http://jezebel.com/14-pieces-of-actual-no-bullshit-wedding-planning-advic-1550635240

I liked most of it, though I'd argue with her advice that "2. Not everyone gets a date, and that's fine."
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Advice from Jezebel

• I think #13 is fantastic advice, I'm with you on 2 being wrong though.

13. Ask yourself: Who actually cares? Agonizing over whether to have a champagne toast, or pay for chiavari chairs, or (god forbid) shell out for peonies? Here's a question you should seriously ask yourself: Are my guests really going to care? Because this is technically a celebration of you, but REALLY it's an enormous party that you're throwing for your friends and family. This is not your fifth birthday party at McDonalds. You are hosting these people that you love. Every decision should come down to whether the guests like it, appreciate it, or notice it at all.

Remind yourself (as others have reminded me) that people care about the dancing, the food and whether a good time was had by all. They don't care about how much painstaking effort you put into the hand-aged programs and the very firm email you wrote to get the perfect amount of greenery in the centerpieces. You're better off focusing on the broad strokes that best facilitate the party than bothering overmuch with piddly shit.

Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • NYCBruin said:
    I think #13 is fantastic advice, I'm with you on 2 being wrong though.

13. Ask yourself: Who actually cares? Agonizing over whether to have a champagne toast, or pay for chiavari chairs, or (god forbid) shell out for peonies? Here's a question you should seriously ask yourself: Are my guests really going to care? Because this is technically a celebration of you, but REALLY it's an enormous party that you're throwing for your friends and family. This is not your fifth birthday party at McDonalds. You are hosting these people that you love. Every decision should come down to whether the guests like it, appreciate it, or notice it at all.

Remind yourself (as others have reminded me) that people care about the dancing, the food and whether a good time was had by all. They don't care about how much painstaking effort you put into the hand-aged programs and the very firm email you wrote to get the perfect amount of greenery in the centerpieces. You're better off focusing on the broad strokes that best facilitate the party than bothering overmuch with piddly shit.

this have saved me a LOT of heartache...are people REALLY going to remember centerpieces? or what the room looked like? I think about the things I remember at a wedding and focus on those. 
    Anniversary
  • I'm with you all!

Ironically, my sister saw the same article and posted it on my Facebook wall. Then, because she's awesome, she removed it because she remembered that I don't talk about wedding stuff on Facebook!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards