Wedding Etiquette Forum

List A and List B

I am using the knots wedding guest  planner section, and in the responces section there is an option for list a or list b. What is that for? Anyone know?

Re: List A and List B

• Just wondering. I hvae read enough posts in here to know its not ok. I was surprised to see it on the same site that says how bad it is. I wasn't sure if it was for something else.
  • You can use it when initially planning your guest list to determine who is on your "super definite invite" list and who is on your "maybe we will invite them" list. That is the only use I can think of.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll

• It can be used in a rude manner OR it can be used to make two guest lists.  Meaning guest list B could be everyone you want to invite regardless of budget and guest list A can be the one that you narrow down to fit in your budget.

The rude way of using it would be to actually have an A and B list, meaning you send out invites to your A list, wait for declines and then send out invites to some of your B list to fill in those declined spots.

But no matter what I wouldn't use any of TKs applications because there is always a ton of issues. I would just use excel for your guest list.
    All of this.

I suppose we have a sort of "B" list in that sense.  We have our "A" guest list of people and on that list we have space for every single person on that list to bring a potential SO.  If, as we approach the time to send out invitations, some of our single friends/family members are still single and/or some of our previously attached guests are now single, the spaces we had set aside for their SOs will be used to invite people from the B list.  But there will only be one round of invitations.

It's fine to have multiple lists when planning out your guest list initially, but once invitations go out, that's the final list.  Unless you're rude, of course.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • its not on the actualy list planning part, but where you type in the replies. So I dont think it can used in the planning part.

• Inkdancer said:
    You can use it when initially planning your guest list to determine who is on your "super definite invite" list and who is on your "maybe we will invite them" list. That is the only use I can think of.
    This is exactly how I'm using that feature. A will be invited no matter what. Anyone on the B list who gets an invite will have it go in the mail at the same time as group A; they're just those who we would really like there, but if the budget doesn't allow it, we can deal. Right now, our budget allows for everyone so we're hoping we don't need to cut, but if something happens and we need to trim, we've started the process.
  • I always advocate for using excel on google drive. I'm long distance with FI and we used it to compile our guest list together and shared read-only versions with our parents (they couldn't edit it) so they could see and add people (but our parents were pretty low-key about wanting people there and we only had one small issue).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My Wedding is 75% OOT guests. I've only really used it as a A we think will come and B we don't think will come. So far we've been pretty correct with our assumptions. It's just nice to help with giving caterers expectations before the final numbers come in :)
  • magee2011 said:
    My Wedding is 75% OOT guests. I've only really used it as a A we think will come and B we don't think will come. So far we've been pretty correct with our assumptions. It's just nice to help with giving caterers expectations before the final numbers come in :)

This is kind of how we have used it. We are having a destination wedding and as people mention they are or aren't planning on coming we have marked as A or B. Like when my BFF says, I can't wait for vegas! I mark her as A and when a friend mentioned she's pregnant and due two weeks after our wedding, I marked her and DH as B.
  • We had A and B lists. Our A list was the people we knew we had to invite no matter what. Our B list was the people we wanted to invite if our budget allowed.

We sent out one batch of invites. We did not invite other people as guests declined, but not everyone from our initial B list got invites.

As long as you don't truly B list people, sending out more invites after you get declines, you can list people however you want privately.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • @maggie now you have me afraid to use TK for my online RSVPs. 90% of my guests are very digital. They are always social networking and emailing and they would prefer to RSVP online rather than through snail mail, so I've just been planning to use the RSVP feature on our wedding website, but now I'm nervous. 
  • I ditto Maggie. TK tools are glitchy and full of problems. The Knottie Tech Help Board is aways full of complaints about problems with TK tools.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • raeah219 said:
    @maggie now you have me afraid to use TK for my online RSVPs. 90% of my guests are very digital. They are always social networking and emailing and they would prefer to RSVP online rather than through snail mail, so I've just been planning to use the RSVP feature on our wedding website, but now I'm nervous. 
    Yeah I would caution against this.  Honestly, your guests may want to do online RSVPs but really I would go the snail mail route.  It really won't be too difficult for them to fill out a card and slip it in the mailbox.  They can deal.

• Just want to note that in the 16 months planning the wedding and the year since, I never had a problem with the Guest list tool. I still access it when I need a random address. I didn't use the electronic RSVP tool or website. FYI - I do plan to eventually move it all over into Google Drive.
    Anniversary
  • I have an A list, B list, C list and a D list. If we invite 30 people A list comes, If we invite 50 people A+B list comes, If we invite 70 people A+B+C list comes, If we invite over 100 people A+B+C+D list comes, It makes it a heck of a lot easier for planning and organizing

• I used it for who I was going to send save the dates to.
  • mimiphin said:
    I have an A list, B list, C list and a D list. If we invite 30 people A list comes, If we invite 50 people A+B list comes, If we invite 70 people A+B+C list comes, If we invite over 100 people A+B+C+D list comes, It makes it a heck of a lot easier for planning and organizing
    I dont even know how you keep track of something like that :/ Why dont you just plan to have as many people as you can afford to host without making like 800 lists :/
  • magee2011 said:
    mimiphin said:
    I have an A list, B list, C list and a D list. If we invite 30 people A list comes, If we invite 50 people A+B list comes, If we invite 70 people A+B+C list comes, If we invite over 100 people A+B+C+D list comes, It makes it a heck of a lot easier for planning and organizing
    I dont even know how you keep track of something like that :/ Why dont you just plan to have as many people as you can afford to host without making like 800 lists :/
    It isn't as hard as it sounds. I did ours in Excel so we'd have guest names next to the numbers. I inserted a colored line between 50, 75, 100, and 150 to keep track of the breaks.
  • mimiphinmimiphin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    magee2011 said:
    mimiphin said:
    Because we don't know where we will have the wedding yet and we don't know how many people we will have attend.
    If we want to have a DW in Cuba the list is going to be different than if we have a DW up here vs if we have it in a ballroom/lounge/pub/ect.

Keeping track of it is very easy (Damn that Hoe Excel gets around!) and it helps that I am a professional planner. I also have an organized wedding binder where I keep everything. Well I have two, One is our OWP {Offical Wedding Plan, I know I'm crazy haha} and one for all the extras- samples from invitation companies and the like.
    It took me like 2 seconds to write on a piece of paper A, B, C, D and list names under it.

@wrigleyville I like the coloured line idea!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards