Not Engaged Yet

Intro! (I'm not crazy, I swear)

Hi everyone!  I've been lurking off and on since my sister got engaged a couple years ago, and figured I may as well start posting here.  I'm not looking to get engaged any time soon, but you ladies are awesome, so.. let's be internet friends? 

Screen Name: travelcoffeemug0
Significant Other's Age: 24
What You Do: admin work at a university
What SO Does: journalism
State of Relationship: dating, not talking seriously about marriage
How Long You've Been Together: about 10 months
How You Met: OKCupid  
Wedding Date (if you're engaged/married): n/a
Real Babies: nope!  not for a long time...
Fur Babies: none, unfortunately.
Loves: cheesecake, yoga, summer, backpacking, good beer, swing dancing, playing music
Hates: snow, disorganization, being stuck inside all day, brussels sprouts, wasabi
Pet Peeves: Just about anything relating to grammar.  Mislabeling a traditional music genre (I studied ethnomusicology in school, I play fiddle, I'm a total nerd about it).
Hobbies/Activities: Playing music, eating cookies, dancing, practicing yoga, watching too many episodes of Friends
Favorite Thing About Your SO: I have a lot of things, but I think my favorite is that he's just an honestly good person.  He's kind, level-headed, and really cares about people.
Least Favorite Thing About Your SO: He has the worst fashion sense.  It's terrible.
Describe Your Personality:  I'm usually pretty easy-going and flexible, but have a few things that I care deeply about and will get worked up about.  I notice small details, and probably over think most things.  I'm an introvert, but not at all shy.
Snark Level (1 [low snark] - 10 [high snark]): maybe a 5.  I'm usually pretty nice.
I've Been On TK Since:
just made this account today, but I've been lurking and exploring since my sister got engaged a couple of years ago.
How You Came to Be On TK: Looking at stuff for my sister's wedding
How I like my potatoes: baked, with all the delicious things on top
Favorite book/author: I don't have just one.  Loved The River Why, The Hobbit, On the Road.  I'm really just a beatnik hippie at heart.
Tell Us Something Interesting About Yourself:  I'm left-handed but play sports and instruments right-handed.  That's not super interesting, but it's all I got right now.

Re: Intro! (I'm not crazy, I swear)

• Welcome! You mentioned playing fiddle - do you play any other instruments?
  • Thanks!  I play some banjo and guitar, and took piano lessons as a kid.  I'm most comfortable on fiddle though.  
  • BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Hi!! I'm fairly new here too, I had to join in because everyone seemed so fun!  I love your Friends love, I spend many nights staying up too late watching it on Nick at Nite :)

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Welcome!

Favorite episode of Friends? Least favorite character of the main six? Your most quoted joke?

I totally hear you on partners with terrible fashion sense. I love the crap out of my guy but oh my god no why are you wearing that nooooooooo
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Welcome! *Shakes your hand* You sound refreshingly normal. :)

What sports do you enjoy playing? Favorite food?

• BreMRBreMR member
    @Phira what an impossible question about Friends!! :)
  • phiraphira member
    @BreMR Hehehehehe

Anniversary
  • Man, I don't know if I have a favorite episode.  I have a terrible memory for things like that.  I'll remember numbers and names and dates, but not storylines.  I think Chandler's my favorite character, and Phoebe's probably my least favorite.  She's just.. all over the place, in a way that I find frustrating sometimes.

And I think it's not so much that he doesn't know what looks good, because when he actually tries he can put together a decent outfit.  He just doesn't think it matters, so he either doesn't think about what he's wearing at all, or he'll wear something ironically/for fun without considering that he looks ridiculous.
  • Thanks, CLo!  (Do people call you that? GreenEyes?  I need to get the hang of nicknames around here...)  I run long distance, but I don't really play sports.  I ride my bike just about everywhere I go (live in a city), but I actively hate that and wouldn't ever do it as a sport.

Favorite food might be peanut butter. Or chocolate cheesecake.  I definitely have a sweet tooth.
  • Haha, a lot of people IRL call me CLo, so that works just fine! Gotcha on the sports - I wasn't sure if you played anything super intense and coordinated ("I'm left-handed but play sports and instruments right-handed"). But I would guess biking in a city would classify as intense too - people in cars can be surprisingly jerkish around bikers!

• Oh, ha, yeah.  I play tennis occasionally, and if I ever find myself in a situation where I have to throw something, like a ball, I'll do it with my right hand.

And yeah, Seattle, where I live has a pretty good bike culture, but I still get pissed off at drivers pretty frequently when I'm biking.
  • Hiya!

How do you like your coffee? I'm assuming you like coffee because you live in Seattle. I love Seattle and kind of wish that I could live there.

What's your dream vacation? If you were a fruit, what kind would you be? What's your favorite thing to do on the weekend?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I like my coffee dark roast, black, and make it pour-over every morning.  

That's a tough question!  I want to go back to Iceland (I studied abroad there a couple years ago), but I also want to go to India, and the Middle East.  And basically everywhere.  But I'd want to do it backpacking-style, and try to actually get a feel for the local culture, not go to a resort or something.

If I were a fruit, I'd be... raspberries.  My weekends are dull; I usually run, bake, have drinks with friends, and clean.  My favorite thing to do is probably get out in the mountains for a hike, but that doesn't happen often enough.
  • Oh hey there fellow Friends lover!

My favorite episode is the one with the prom video. When Ross and Rachel finally get together for the first time, because he's her lobster, of course. My H is really similar to Chandler. 

What kind of furbaby would you like to have?

And, since I've watched both of these today, what are your thoughts on Frozen and Pitch Perfect?
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Welcome! You seem refreshingly not crazy so please stay! :)

Favorite song on the fiddle? Provide a link? I love fiddle music! FI and I have been going to the state bluegrass festival and competition for three years now and I absolutely love it! There's more banjo than fiddle but it's still a lot of fun.

Also I second @lalalaurita's coffee question! That is, if you like coffee. Provide a recommendation? FI and I are always looking for something not Starbucks when we take the time to make coffee at home.

• Welcome! How long have you lived in Seattle for? Do you like it there? My FI has a bunch of family there, so I'm hoping we'll go visit sooner or later because I've never been there but heard it's a really cool city!

If you could go out and get a fur baby tomorrow what kind of animal would you get and what would you name it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @hummingbird125 get out of my head (with the furbaby question)

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • I'd love a medium-sized dog, but won't do that until I have a good yard for him to play in. Please don't hate me, but I haven't seen either Pitch Perfect or Frozen. I'm not a huge movie person. I don't know about my favorite tune (there are so many), but here are a couple links to things I think are cool: Scottish music (skip the first slow bit if you're bored): http://youtu.be/kkLNskiYifU I've been loving this guy's old time playing: http://youtu.be/MMaOL1wlQgk I don't play bluegrass, but I play a lot of old time, which is what bluegrass came from. And bluegrass can still be awesome.
  • @Audrewuh - oops! Didn't even read yours before! That's funny, I think my FI is closest to Chandler too. Also - I've had MANY dreams where Chandler was my boyfriend, both before and after meeting FI. #truth
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Oh, wow, I didn't realize those videos would show up like that.
  • They're both great musically. I highly suggest them, even if you don't like movies. My H doesn't like movies either, but I've got him to agree to watch Pitch Perfect with me next time. And he gets to listen to Frozen a lot because I like listening to it when I sew. 

• I honestly buy my coffee based on how pretty the packaging is (and if it's dark roast), so I'm not sure if you should take any recommendation from me.  :-)  I love coffee, but I'm not super picky about it.

I've lived in Seattle for... 3 and a half years.  I adore it.  I moved out to D.C. right after I finished school, but missed the northwest so much that I came back here after like 5 months.

• So I haven't intro'd or anything yet...I used to mostly lurk on here a while back and have just recently returned but I had to reply on this when I saw all the Friends references haha  I love Friends.  I love The One With Unagi.  Don't know why I find the Unagi....Salmon Skin Roll thing and Danger! and all that so funny but I do haha
  • phiraphira member
    @emcmac87 Because of that episode, I decided to try unagi one time when I went out for sushi. It was entirely random; I didn't start eating sushi for about 3-4 years after I got into Friends, and I didn't try unagi for maybe two years ago that.

It's SO GOOD. I introduced J to it and now, when we order sushi, we usually get two unagi-avocado rolls.
    Anniversary
  • BreMRBreMR member
    The unagi episode is one of the main reasons why I started to really love Ross, because the moment he's talking to that self-defense coach is comedic gold! Other than that, I think the writers tried to portray him as a very needy/whiny/slightly pathetic character, but you can't ignore his great moments of hilarity. 

I can't imagine picking a favorite episode myself, but I will say my favorite TV moment of all time is "I got off the plane."  I appreciate this moment even more after watching the HIMYM finale last night :-/
  • I like your screen name.

have you tried roasted brussel sprouts?  my H hated them until I roasted them and topped them with a balsamic glaze.  we also love them raw, but shaved in a salad.  it sounds awful, but it's really wonderful.  I PROMISE.

• I have nothing to contribute to the Friends conversation. Sorry guys.

@travelcoffeemug0 what's the story about your username?

@emcmac87 and @BreMR are you not-crazy?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• BreMRBreMR member
    @lalalaurita definitely not crazy, I promise!! I'm 27, so old enough to be engaged or not be engaged (which is where I'm at), I've been with my bf for longer than a month (12 years), I'm not pre-planning my wedding....

Those are usually the red flags, right?? :) 
  • @BreMR

Welcome to NEY!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Welcome to NEY! If you could have any pet in the world, what would it be?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards