Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake or No Cake

is anyone not having a cake? If you are not having cake what is going to be your substitute? 

Re: Cake or No Cake

• We had a cake and two kinds of cheesecakes served dessert buffet style.

I only went to one wedding that had no cake.  They had stations during dinner and one was a cheesecake station with toppings.  Then later as the "official" dessert they had cherries jubilee with a flambé presentation.  It was a nice change from traditional cake.

• I would be sad if there was no cake.

• We are having cake but my fiance is more of a cookie-monster, so in addition, we are having a "Groom's cookie bar" instead of a traditional southern groom's cake!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I went to a wedding that had lots of different pies. That was really fun. But we both really wanted a cake at our wedding.
  • Gimme all the cake.

We're having cookies too... but definitely cake. Tasty, tasty cake.

• I've never been to a wedding w/o cake... my FI and I were thinking of having our small cake to cut and then doing a dessert bar though. We have quite a few little ones who will be attending and thought they might enjoy making sundaes or decorating some cookies and what-not. Besides, what adult doesn't like to indulge his/her inner 5 year old with a nice big messy dessert made just the way he/she likes?
  • Personally, although I sometimes don't like the cake, I would be disappointed if there was no cake. 
  • Me and My FI have been having the same problem.  I hate cake. and I don't have a sweet tooth for deserts.  Me and him have been trying really hard to find an alternative.  We finally decided to just have cupcakes with a little cake for cutting but because I don't like cake, I'm feeding him cake and he's going to feed me fruit. That way the guests still get cake and a cake cutting, but I don't have to eat any.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We are doing a cupcake tower (and a half sheet cake for back up), along with a small two-tiered cake. Top tier for the traditional "freeze it and save it for your one year anniversary" and then the bottom tier for the traditional cake cutting.
  • I was at a wedding with no traditional wedding cake. Instead, each table had a dessert in the middle as part of the centerpiece. The bride and groom encouraged people to get up and mingle to find a dessert they liked best. Most people just ate what was at their table.

We debated not having a wedding cake, but decided to do it because it's less expensive than other dessert options. We thought about doing ice cream. We're doing a two tier display cake and sheet cakes.

• FI and I both do not like cake. We are having individual pies and individual cheesecakes. I'm more of a salty dessert person so I'm also working on having some popcorn.

• We are doing mini cup cakes. Enough to allow our guests to have two different flavors. We got five flavors including some crazy flavors like coffee and orange cream to change it up a little. That way it's not traditional cake but we still had a dessert. We also discussed having a cheesecake bar with different toppings.
  • The last wedding I went to was at a Renaissance Fair and they didn't have cake (the bride and groom didn't like sweets very much). They had a row of all sorts of different pies from the local bakery instead. It fit the theme and everyone loved it. I actually liked it more than cake.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like other desserts better than cake, usually, but it would surprise me not to see some type of wedding cake there.  But I'm totally happy with other desserts...as long as nothing is served only to some people but not everyone.
  • My fiance and I are trying to decide between cake, cupcakes or cake-pops.  Leaning more towards cupcakes.  If you do something like that, you will still satisfy some people's expectations of having cake but you can have a little more fun with it.  But there is no rule that says you have to have a cake.  I have been to a wedding where there was no cake, only a chocolate fountain and some things to dip.  And another wedding where there was cake, cupcakes, and build your own smores.  It's completely up to you and your fiance and what you both like. 
  • Pie, not cake.  Easiest decision I had to make for the wedding.

• I was at a wedding with no traditional wedding cake. Instead, each table had a dessert in the middle as part of the centerpiece. The bride and groom encouraged people to get up and mingle to find a dessert they liked best. Most people just ate what was at their table.

We debated not having a wedding cake, but decided to do it because it's less expensive than other dessert options. We thought about doing ice cream. We're doing a two tier display cake and sheet cakes.

@badgerbeth This is what we were thinking of doing! And here I was thinking I was so original. =P What did you think of that idea as a guest? 

@badgerbeth This is what we were thinking of doing! And here I was thinking I was so original. =P What did you think of that idea as a guest? 
    Friends of ours did something similar. They did mini-cupcakes on small towers at each table. I think they had 6 different flavors, so each table got the entire variety, and it replaced a normal centerpiece. We loved it. The cupcakes were mini so perfect "one bite" desserts and we got to try so many different flavors. 

I'm not sure how I would feel about going table-to-table to seek out different desserts though. "Oh hi, nice to meet you step cousin Fred, let me reach over you for a slice of that!" Could be a little awkward. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards