Registry and Gift Forum
Options

If I receive gifts from my registry, what is the likelihood guest will give cash at the wedding?

My fiancé and I recently created a wedding registry for our upcoming engagement party. Since we prefer cash gifts over "boxed gifts", we decided to only have one gift registry to accommodate guest who prefer not to give cash. While creating the registry, We decided to register all the items we wouldn't mind having. This led to a list of 200 items although we are only inviting 100 guest to the wedding. Now I am worried, with a list that long, guest might feel we prefer the items on the registry over cash gifts. What are the odds we will get everything on our list? and what is the likelihood that we will get cash at the wedding if we receive a majority of the gifts off the registry? iIGET

Re: If I receive gifts from my registry, what is the likelihood guest will give cash at the wedding?

• Options
    My fiancé and I recently created a wedding registry for our upcoming engagement party. Since we prefer cash gifts over "boxed gifts", we decided to only have one gift registry to accommodate guest who prefer not to give cash. While creating the registry, We decided to register all the items we wouldn't mind having. This led to a list of 200 items although we are only inviting 100 guest to the wedding. Now I am worried, with a list that long, guest might feel we prefer the items on the registry over cash gifts. What are the odds we will get everything on our list? and what is the likelihood that we will get cash at the wedding if we receive a majority of the gifts off the registry? iIGET
    The people who want to give you cash will do so regardless of what's on your registry, and the people who want to give you physical gifts will appreciate the range of choices.

• Options

Why on God's green earth would you make a registry THAT big for a engagement party?  Also-you will always have guests that never give cash.  Ever.  Like me. 

Having a registry with many choices is great, but seems VERY gift grabby to do a registry for a engagement party.  Now for the wedding, I would be appreciative.  If I saw no registry, or a HM registry, you would receive a beautiful empty card because I refuse to give cash.

• Options
    Seriously? That's a huge registry for an engagement party. Wow.
  • Options
    Totally missed that it was for an engagement party.  Why would you register at all for an engagement party?

• Options
    Viczaesar said:
    The people who want to give you cash will do so regardless of what's on your registry, and the people who want to give you physical gifts will appreciate the range of choices.
    I don't know about this.

I'm generally a cash-giver, but if someone had a large registry I would buy them something from the registry instead (I usually browse registries first and then if I decide that there isn't anything that I want to buy them I'll get them cash).

So having a large registry could sway a certain amount of people.
  • Options
    Viczaesar said:
    I don't know about this.

I'm generally a cash-giver, but if someone had a large registry I would buy them something from the registry instead (I usually browse registries first and then if I decide that there isn't anything that I want to buy them I'll get them cash).

So having a large registry could sway a certain amount of people.
    Same here.  I give cash almost always.  The exception is if I see a large registry.  The large registry makes me think they like boxed gifts and would prefer them.
  • Options
    engagement parties are typically non gift giving events so do not expect to get many gifts--and if you get cash of some kind it needs to be put in savings until after the wedding.

I received majority of my gifts at the bridal shower; wedding was about 70% cash but some people still gave a physical gift.  I had about 250 items between 2 registries and we got about 80% of our registered gifts between the shower and wedding

Regardless, You get what you get and you don't get upset.  Only put things on your registry that you actually want.  If you do not "want" gifts, do not register... and then don't have a shower since that is a gift-giving event. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    I give a gift for the shower and cash for the wedding.  That's pretty much how it's done by me (NJ).  I know in other states, boxed gifts are more popular at weddings.  Where do you live and what's typically done by you?

That said, I don't think I've ever seen a couple registered for an engagement party.  If I attend, I'll usually give cash and/or a small token gift.
  • Options
    Thank you guys for all of the replies. After reading the above comments I think I should mention we decided to create the registry because we are having an engagement party and some of our guest insisted we create a registry. With that being said, we created a registry that would serve not only the engagement party but also the bridal shower and wedding. Hence the voluminous nature of the list.
  • Options
    antibride2013 Of course not suggesting giving just a card is wrong, but do you realize people used to just give people gifts they thought the couple would like? Registries haven't been around forever. You can always give a gift, just like you can always give cash.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you guys for all of the replies. After reading the above comments I think I should mention we decided to create the registry because we are having an engagement party and some of our guest insisted we create a registry. With that being said, we created a registry that would serve not only the engagement party but also the bridal shower and wedding. Hence the voluminous nature of the list.
    This is fine.  I didn't even have an engagement party but had my mom's friends asking where I was registered right after we got engaged because they wanted to send us an engagement gift.  So I started a registry then.  Now the same registry with some additions will be used for my shower and wedding.

However if you really prefer cash, I would try to trim down your registry a bit as PPs suggested.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards