Chit Chat

My engagement ring fell off in my sleep...

Re: My engagement ring fell off in my sleep...

• It's felt a little loose the past couple of weeks but I was really sick so maybe it will sort itself out.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My finger seems to fluctuate in size from day to day so sometimes it's really loose when I wake up in the morning.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Is it usually loose?

Mine was big and I got it resized and it still feels big. When I went to the jeweler for them to measure me, they used quite a thick measuring band and it felt snug enough on my finger....
    But, alas, I have big boned fingers with no meat on them and, in addition, the band is really thin with a solitaire which makes it wiggle around a lot to begin with.

I started to use the rubber "ring huggies" because I did not want to get it resized a second time and it seems to have at least temporarily solved the problem of it moving around / feeling like it might fall off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes, I found it, I was sleeping on it lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I take mine off to sleep, but I sleep with my hands under my cheek, so ouch.  Grumbledore, there's a good chance you just took it off in the middle of the night.  I've done that with my mouthguard or fitbit.  Sometimes I find them on my nightstand, other times in the bed

• I take mine off right before bed.  The engagement ring is loose to begin with and I'd never find it if it slipped off.  Also, H and I sometimes whack each other while sleeping and I don't want to send him to work with his face messed up.  People might talk.
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Mine is loose when my hands are very cold, but not loose enough to fall off, just turns around.  I never take mine off.  When I first got it I would take it off for everything - to clean, to do dishes, to sleep, to shower.  Now I just leave it on all the time, unless i'm getting my hands really dirty.  
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I take mine off when I'm showering, swimming, washing dishes, cleaning with abrasive products, etc. But I sleep with mine on.

My partner has an engagement band and it's weirdly wrong-sized for him. We got his finger sized multiple times, but his fingers are very skinny and the band we got for him is a bit too thick and wide. So it has to be big enough to go over his knuckles, and then it just sort of spins around loosely. It's absolutely the correct size, but we're definitely going to be smarter about his wedding band.

Because it's so ill-fitting, it does come off randomly, including while he's sleeping. We usually figure it out, though, because it falls off the bed, hits the heater, and wakes us up.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • phira said:
    I take mine off when I'm showering, swimming, washing dishes, cleaning with abrasive products, etc. But I sleep with mine on.

My partner has an engagement band and it's weirdly wrong-sized for him. We got his finger sized multiple times, but his fingers are very skinny and the band we got for him is a bit too thick and wide. So it has to be big enough to go over his knuckles, and then it just sort of spins around loosely. It's absolutely the correct size, but we're definitely going to be smarter about his wedding band.

Because it's so ill-fitting, it does come off randomly, including while he's sleeping. We usually figure it out, though, because it falls off the bed, hits the heater, and wakes us up.
    Likewise - I take mine off when I am doing stuff like dishes or showering but I sleep with it on.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Does everyone sleep with their ring on? I always take mine off. I would be afraid it would forever be lost in the sea of blankets, or the stone would catch on something and get ripped out.
    I take mine off all the time.  I wear it when I go to work or if I am leaving the house but when I am home it is typically off and sitting on my dresser or in my jewelry case.

The only time I tried to sleep with it on was the night we got engaged.  After it getting caught in my hair 3 times I took it off and put it back in the box.

• I really don't ever take mine off, unless I'm doing something really dirty or rough that could harm it. I sleep in it and shower in it. I might take it off for swimming, but I haven't had it when it's been warm enough to swim. I do the same with my Aggie ring, which I got in 2009. I hardly ever remove it. Our wedding rings are made of a more sensitive material, so we might have to remove them more often.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• Does everyone sleep with their ring on? I always take mine off. I would be afraid it would forever be lost in the sea of blankets, or the stone would catch on something and get ripped out.

I sleep with my wedding band on. I take off my e-ring since when I sleep with it I tend to wake up with scratches on my face
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have to take my rings off to sleep. I flop around like a catfish on land, so they'd end up flung across the room and I'd never find them. I've even had earrings fall out while I'm sleeping. My mom, on the other hand, never ever takes her wedding/engagement rings off. Cleaning, making pie dough, gardening, crafting...always on. Takes them off to clean them, and when she had surgery. Period.
  • I take mine off when I shower in the morning and put lotion on; if I'm cleaning with abrasive/corrosive products; if I'm gardening; or if I'm doing some kind of cooking that needs lots of hand work (kneading dough, making meatballs, etc.)

Otherwise, I never take mine off. I sleep in them, and even though my e-ring sits very high, I've never had problems with it catching on anything.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I've been wearing mine almost 24/7 since I got it, because I never wore rings before and I wanted to make sure I got used to it.  I do take it off to shower, and I'll probably start taking it off at night when FI gets home and we're sleeping in the same bed again.

I almost never take mine off - I only do if I'm scrubbing dishes, baking something that requires me to hand-mix the dough, or in a situation where I may lose it, like swimming in the ocean.  I sleep in it every night.
    That is me.  Although I don't take it off when I swim either.    I have fat knuckles.   The ring spins around on my finger, but can't slip past my enormous finger knuckles. 

I also have low profile rings.  I can't stand settings that stick up.  So I rarely have problems with the ring catching on anything.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Mine s a really high setting, so I remove it constantly. The top of the stone sits nearly half an inch off my finger, and it just gets caught on everything. No way could I sleep in it, I'd wake up with my hand stuck in my hair!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I am paranoid, so I take mine off every night. I also take it off when I am showering or if I am washing my hands and the drain is big enough to swallow the sucker up!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The only time I take mine off is to shower/do my hair. Gets stuck and pulls my hair out. Ouch!!!
    Also, mine is pretty tight already and there's no danger of it falling off; it's hard enough to take off in the first place.
  • I only take mine off when I shower or put on lotion. Heck I was scrubbing dishes in our restaurant the other day and my employees looked at me like I was nuts!
  • I take mine off when I sleep, shower, do anything with water or anything dirty (like gardening) or working with food.

I often put it on if I'm just lounging around the house though (I put it on first thing when I get out of bed).
  • The only time I take mine off is if I am cleaning it or puttin gon lotion. But mine isn't loose at all and is not a high setting. I'm not worried about it falling off while i'm swimming or anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards