October 2014 Weddings

Valid reason to send invites early?

So, We're having a destination wedding in October, in Gatlinburg. Given that it's peak season for that area, I want to be sure to give everyone enough time to make travel arrangements/accommodations.  We weren't planning on sending STD as it seemed like a redundant cost. Would it be okay to send invites earlier than the 6-8 week mark, and if so, how early would you send? 

Re: Valid reason to send invites early?

• I would probably send the STD's. I got a wedding invite for a wedding in July about a month ago, I've already lost it and don't know where to RSVP anymore. If you are trying to save on cost of STD's I would consider setting up a webpage with your hotel booking information and sending out emails. 

STD's were really not nearly as expensive as I had anticipated, I think the invites tend to be more because of the RSVP envelopes, inserts, etc. Look around, there are ton's of market codes, free shipping etc. And keep in mind that you are not sending one to each invitee, just each household, I forgot this when I ordered stamps and ordered double what I need. 
  • I would just do STDs as well.  For those who live close to you, you can hand deliver to try and save on postage costs if it's that big of a concern. 

Also you can keep your eye open for a Groupon for Vistaprint to help out.

Anniversary
  • I agree.. do STDates. You can get them pretty cheap at VistaPrint, or maybe try a eSTDate, there are lots of free sites to do it. Because its a destination wedding, I would say you have leeway to sent invites maybe at the 10 week mark, but no earlier. 
    Anniversary
  • I will add on:
    A few people I know used Walmart Printing services for Save The Date Postcards - I see Vistaprint has them as well (they're about $8.50 from Vistaprint for 50 <$0.17 ea>).

I did see that this morning there was an active Groupon for Vistaprint services - I think it was $27 for $70 must be used by June 30 (not sure if it will still be available or not).

Because it is a destination wedding, I would also get together a wedding website with things around the area to do and any other questions that may come up.  I'm having a very very small destination wedding where my guests are not all that computer savvy so I actually ended up doing a newsletter so they'd know what to expect on the day of, what free things there were to do in the area, how to get around, what the weather is like that time of year, how much other favorite area attractions cost, etc.

Anniversary
  • Excellent advice! Thanks all! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards