Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Great gift ideas for the people who don't want gifts?

My uncles are getting married in a few months and I'd love to get them something. Their invitations specifically says no gifts and their house is impossibly full of books and things from their years of extensive travel. They've been together 35 years (but can only now marry) and have stopped buying each other gifts for most occasions as they have everything they want and not a ton of space left. I just can't see not getting them something to celebrate such an important event.

In situations like this, I would normally buy them a bottle of Perrier Jouet in the painted bottle. It's a wonderful champagne and the bottle is gorgeous - but that's a trick I learned from them. It's been what they've given me for big occasions (18th birthday, MBA graduation, etc.) so I feel like it's cheating to get them the same thing. Plus, they have had/saved so many bottles that it might just create clutter. They know alcohol better than I ever could (one uncle has spent his life in liquor sales) so I'm hesitant to try other bottles.

Any great gift ideas for the couple who has everything?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Great gift ideas for the people who don't want gifts?

• Options
    Gift certificate to their favorite restaurant! Or some other experience. That won't clutter their house.
  • Options
    My uncles are getting married in a few months and I'd love to get them something. Their invitations specifically says no gifts and their house is impossibly full of books and things from their years of extensive travel. They've been together 35 years (but can only now marry) and have stopped buying each other gifts for most occasions as they have everything they want and not a ton of space left. I just can't see not getting them something to celebrate such an important event.

In situations like this, I would normally buy them a bottle of Perrier Jouet in the painted bottle. It's a wonderful champagne and the bottle is gorgeous - but that's a trick I learned from them. It's been what they've given me for big occasions (18th birthday, MBA graduation, etc.) so I feel like it's cheating to get them the same thing. Plus, they have had/saved so many bottles that it might just create clutter. They know alcohol better than I ever could (one uncle has spent his life in liquor sales) so I'm hesitant to try other bottles.

Any great gift ideas for the couple who has everything?

I know this will be a different answer, but my H and I didn't want gifts either.  Like seriously didn't want them.  We had it spread word of mouth that we really didn't want anything and that anything we did get would be donated.  Everyone respected our wishes. 

Get them a lovely card, and respect their wishes.  Don't get them anything.

• Options

Coffee, tea, chocolate or other foods they may enjoy.

It might be nice to send flowers in advance.  Maybe a month or week before the date so they can enjoy them separately from any wedding flowers they may be planning.

• Options
     Is there anything they're specifically interested in? If they love wine, what about a vineyard tour or something? If they don't live overly close to something like that, maybe a weekend getaway at a B&B? 

I would also find it hard to attend a wedding, and not bring something, even if it's stated that they don't want/need anything. I would go with something I know they would enjoy, or at the very least, cash in a card. 

Good luck!

*J
  • Options
    Those are all good approaches!

@antibride2013- I keep coming back to what you're saying. I might just go with a heartfelt letter. It's so engrained that I need to buy something but I really don't want to add to their clutter. I think my big concern is that I want them to know how important they are to me.

I'm still waiting for my mom to get back to me on the subject. As my uncle always goes to my mom for etiquette and family questions, I figure that she's the one to go with!

Sadly, I don't have the budget for anything travel or restaurant-related that they'd love. They're amazing cooks and, as they're traveling 6-9 months of the year, they tend to be homebodies when they're in town. Plus, their tastes are so expensive that I simply couldn't keep up- when they got out for dinner in our home city, it's usually to places that I could never afford.

Now I'm feeling like I'm talking myself out of this!
  • Options
    antibride2013antibride2013 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2014

@antibride2013- I keep coming back to what you're saying. I might just go with a heartfelt letter. It's so engrained that I need to buy something but I really don't want to add to their clutter. I think my big concern is that I want them to know how important they are to me.

I'm still waiting for my mom to get back to me on the subject. As my uncle always goes to my mom for etiquette and family questions, I figure that she's the one to go with!

Sadly, I don't have the budget for anything travel or restaurant-related that they'd love. They're amazing cooks and, as they're traveling 6-9 months of the year, they tend to be homebodies when they're in town. Plus, their tastes are so expensive that I simply couldn't keep up- when they got out for dinner in our home city, it's usually to places that I could never afford.

You sound like a very sweet young lady.  I personally think a heartfelt letter expressing how much you care for them is a million times better than anything you could purchase. 
  • Options
    Thanks, antibride!
  • Options
    In that case, definitely go with the heartfelt letter. It's far more valuable than any gift.
  • Options

When I saw this I immediately thought of something like fancy olive oils or spices. You can usually get the really nice stuff for around $20 and because it's something they could cook with I don't think it would add to the clutter. 

Of course, the letter would be just as awesome and the above is just a suggestion if you don't want to show up empty handed.
  • Options
    This is so thoughtful!

My partner of 15 years and I are getting married in 24 days (!) on the 12th anniversary of our commitment ceremony. Like your uncles, as soon as the court ruled on marriage equality, we started planning.

We truly do not want gifts. That doesn't mean try to get us something that isn't on a registry. It really means no gifts. One thing that would be meaningful to us if people are insistent upon acknowledging the occasion is to make a donation to a non-profit that is meaningful to us. We listed three on our wedding website that we personally support: the non-profit where I work, the national organization for a health condition my partner has, and the Human Rights Campaign.

HRC has been instrumental in getting marriage equality before the courts. That might be meaningful to your uncles. http://www.hrc.org/

I hope the celebration of your uncles' marriage is wonderful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, @cms519!

I love the idea of a donation. HRC would be perfect- and I know they have been involved with them for years. Thank you!

Congratulations on your wedding!
  • Options
  • Options
    With respect to what CMS519 said... I'm only saying this because I saw this done and I thought it was so fabulous that perhaps it would be appreciated even by the "no gifts" crowd.  My friend used the happy couple's wedding vows, printed them to look artsy, and had the print mounted on canvas so they could hang their vows in their home. I just loved it. Perhaps this couple's house is jammed with books and stuff and there truly isn't room for more wall decor, but if not, I think that's a lovely, sentimental idea. 

• Options
    cms519 said:
    This is so thoughtful!

My partner of 15 years and I are getting married in 24 days (!) on the 12th anniversary of our commitment ceremony. Like your uncles, as soon as the court ruled on marriage equality, we started planning.

We truly do not want gifts. That doesn't mean try to get us something that isn't on a registry. It really means no gifts. One thing that would be meaningful to us if people are insistent upon acknowledging the occasion is to make a donation to a non-profit that is meaningful to us. We listed three on our wedding website that we personally support: the non-profit where I work, the national organization for a health condition my partner has, and the Human Rights Campaign.

HRC has been instrumental in getting marriage equality before the courts. That might be meaningful to your uncles. http://www.hrc.org/

I hope the celebration of your uncles' marriage is wonderful!

I like this idea.  We are doing the same thing for our wedding.  We did put together a very limited registry (because we know some people will want to get tangible gifts), but on our wedding website (and via word of mouth) we requested no gifts.  Then stated for those that wish to do something to commemorate this event, we would love to have them donate to the following charities in honor of our marriage... then listed 3 charities that mean a lot to us. One for organization that does research for health condition I have, one is for a cancer research center (FI had colon cancer), and then another charity that we have both volunteered with and support.

I agree that if they have requested no gifts, the probably mean no gifts.  But if they have been involved with and support HRC, a donation in their honor would be a great gift idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards