Attire & Accessories Forum

Naturally Curly Hair

I have curly hair, I either wear it pulled half up or up in a clip. Trying to figure out how to do it for my wedding. I am the Bride. I am nervous because once I had it done for a friends weddings and they pulled it back tight and said this is the only way we can get it to stay and only way to not frizz. I am thinking they didn't want to deal with my hair. I did n't like the way it looked. Any suggestions for wedding day hair. Also, who is doing their own make-up? I never thought of getting mine done professionally until my friends asked me if I was getting mine done. Thoughts on this?

Re: Naturally Curly Hair

• I have curly (well, sort of wavy/curly) hair, and I did mine in a loose curly up-do. Once we got the style I wanted, they sprayed it with the most ridiculous hair spray I've ever seen.  It was like glue-spray.  My hair almost always falls after it's been curled, and it stayed all day/night. 

The photos below sort of show how it was done.  I didn't want a librarian bun, and I wanted it loose, but I didn't want it to fall after an hour. 

I got my makeup done professionally.  I planned on doing it myself, but I'm glad I didn't. 

• Just don't go with the hairstylist from your friend's wedding.

If it's something that you're worried about, can you schedule a trial run with more than one hairstylist prior to signing a contract?  That way you can see different stylist's personal touch, and hopefully get a piece of mind that they won't do something that you will hate.

As far as doing your own make-up, definitely get a trial done.  One of my BFFs just got a trial done, and ended up cancelling the MUA because they couldn't get her make-up to her liking.  My friend is just going to do her own make-up (I'm going to help her, I have a background in cosmetics), and I am still on the fence about it.  It's really about how comfortable you are with doing your own make-up and if you can find a MUA to match your style.  (Make sure that you take some pics with flash- this is where we realized that the make-up application wasn't quite right, the photographs looked terrible!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a lot of wave and my mom did mine, but she is a professional. She put some extra curl in it and did three sections from each side pinned together in the middle (half-up half-down look) and each of those had a sparkly pin and I wore a circlet down on my forehead.

The real key is finding a hairstylist who is comfortable working with curls and knows what they're doing. Every stylist has individual strengths. My mom, for example, does not do big teased bouffants well, which is her salon owner's specialty. So he did my cousin's super-retro look for her wedding because he could make it way bigger and higher than my mom could have.
  • A Practical Wedding has a few curly hairstyles on their Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/practicalwed/wedding-hair/

I did my own makeup. I'm really picky about makeup and have never liked the way professionals do it (too much foundation and contouring). I bought good stuff that I could use even after my wedding and did a look I'm familiar with. It stuck all day and looked great in pictures.
  • One thing you have to decide is whether you want them to work with your natural curls, or whether they are going to straighten it then put curl back into it. If they straighten it then curl it you can have smoother, less frizzy than your natural curl will be. I'm sort of basing that statement on you having rather curly hair like myself.
  • Here are a few more curly hair ideas from my wonderful, curly-haired wedding photographer: http://www.pinterest.com/kellyprizel/curly-wedding-hair/
  • Find someone who truly knows how to cut/style curly hair. I recommend finding a Ouidad stylist. I have super curly "mixed" hair, and I fought against my curls for years. I got my first Ouidad cut a few years ago, and I am finally able to wear it down and curly. I now get compliments on my hair, which is something that never happened before. For my wedding, I plan on probably wearing it down with maybe some kind of clip/head piece.
  • Not related, but @QueerFemme, I get so happy whenever I see your pictures! Do you have a master post of them somewhere that I can stalk?

Aww. that's crazy sweet.  My photographer actually has a smugmug with all the photos. It's password protected, but for no particular reason, so feel free to stalk.

If it asks for a password (it might not).  the password is Private (it is case sensitive.

http://mikivargasphotography.smugmug.com/Weddings/C/n-34hjr/i-PK8wJ55

• I have naturally curly hair, and I'm set on keeping my natural curls and having them put into an updo for the wedding. I wear my hair curly about 95% of the time, so it just doesn't feel like me to have it straightened or even straightened and re-curled. Yes,naturally curly hair can be "frizzy", but that's part of me! This website previously posted, http://www.pinterest.com/kellyprizel/curly-wedding-hair/ has hair that I know people would call "frizzy" but I think it's beautiful. 

I'm planning to start calling hair and makeup people in the next month. My first question will be about how comfortable they are with naturally curly hair, and how much experience they have working with natural curls without straightening first. I've also budgeted in to pay for a trial run no matter what. 
  • PepperallyPepperally member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    @MandyMost - I happen to agree with you. Women go one of two ways. When I was engaged previously my stylist is the one who claimed that straightening then recurling would be best, but since I canceled the wedding I never put that suggestion to the test. When I was in my brothers wedding I did an up do with my natural curls and I loved it. It was "me". If I were to straighten then recurl it would not be really "me". OP - you can find someone knowledgeable with curly hair if you look up Deva curl and search for Deva stylists in your area. I have a Deva stylist now and she has taught me so much about my curls. Deva and Ouidad are the two main curly experts out there with a whole product line.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards