Honeymoon Discussions

Florida Keys

We're thinking of keeping our honeymoon semi local (read: cheap) and going to the Keys. Neither of us have ever been so we're not sure where to start. Does anyone have a preference for one of the Keys or a particular hotel? We're looking to spend 5 nights, so would we get more out of the trip if we spend 2 nights in one location and 3 in another, or is it easy to travel between the Keys for day trips? Key West seems the obvious choice, but I don't want to rule any other locations out just because I don't know any better.

Re: Florida Keys

• I believe @maggie0829 went here for her honeymoon...

• H and I went to Key West for 6 days for our HM in July 2011.  We stayed at the Southernmost Hotel (at the end of Duval Street).  We loved the hotel.  I wish I could tell you how much it was but I can't really remember (I think with hotel, airfare, and car rental [we drove from Miami to KW] it was about $3K).  Any extras like food and excursions we didn't really include in our main HM budget because we weren't sure what we were going to do until we got down there.  But when we went they had just finished renovating a lot of their rooms and they did a great job with it.  We went to the pool almost everyday and we were always able to find chairs which was awesome.  They have waitstaff that walk around and take food and drink orders.  They have a lot of activities right on the grounds but we really didn't partake in any of them (we were too busy walking around and going snorkeling).  The restaurant that is onsite is right on the small beach that they have.  Breakfast was always yummy and the wings were pretty awesome but we usually went other places for dinner.

I would say that if you do just go to Key West to keep the car in the parking lot and either walk or rent a moped.  The only downside with the hotel we stayed in was it was at the quiet end of Duval so H and I had to walk like 16 blocks each way to get into the 'happenin' part of town, but we liked that it was on the quiet end because it gave us the option of being in the action or being away from it.  It is also like one block away from the '90 miles to Cuba' marker for a photo op.

The one restaurant that we went to for a nice dinner was to Antonia's on Duval Street.  Seriously a great dinner.  We still talk about H's chicken dish that he got.

We did two excursions while there.  We did a sunset cruise and snorkel/dolphin watch through Fury. Both were a great time and the sunset is a must see (gorgeous!).  Again not sure about the cost but to us they seemed pretty reasonable.  Both were a decent length of time and the sunset cruise included appetizers and beer/margaritas and the snorkel trip included beer and wine (after you finished swimming of course).  The other nights we just walked around and saw the sights.  The top of Duval does get pretty crowded especially when a cruise ship comes in to dock.

As for the other Keys, we only just drove through them but from what I recall they are pretty close together so day trips are possible, especially to the keys closest to Key West.

The weather was great, but hot, but then again it was July.  Funny enough it was actually hotter up in MD where we are from then it was down in KW.  I think it only rained once or twice but only for like 30 minutes to an hour and then the sun came back out in its full glory.

I hope this helps a bit.  H and I have talked about going back for our 5 year anniversary since we loved it so much.

• We went to Key West last year for our anniversary. We had an awesome time, even though we are a more-laid back couple and partying is often an attraction for KW. 

We stayed at the Tropical Inn guest house on Duval-it was a very nice B&B, the staff was wonderful. But it was a bit noisy, as it's right next to a club. It was Pride Week while we were there, and it is a gay club, so it might not be as noisy other times of the year. 

We didn't have a car (flew directly to KW) and we didn't need one. You can walk everything, but being from NYC, walking a mile or two to get somewhere is pretty normal for us. 

We did a bunch of activities-a snorkel, sailing, and kayaking tour with Danger (they were awesome, and a family of dolphins danced around with us while we were out there). A sunset sail on the Adirondack III-which included appetizers (it was enough foor for a meal) and unlimited wine and beer. A SNUBA trip (I enjoyed doing SNUBA, but the spot they took us to was not that exciting) and then a trip out to the Dry Tortugas. There are a LOT of different sunset sails-which range for party boats with live bands to quiet schooners-make sure you choose one that fits your style. We loved the peacefulness of the Adirondack, I would have been miserable on the party cruise. 

If you can afford it, I would recommend taking the plane out to the Dry Tortugas versus the boat. The boat trip took FOREVER, 4 hours+. Going there I didn't mind. Coming back I felt "GET ME OFF THIS BOAT." It's also really expensive to go by boat, it isn't all that much more to take the sea plane. And it saves you HOURS.

There are so many good places to eat in KW-Pepe's Cafe was by far our favorite spot. It is so laid back and has an awesome old-school vibe. And they really do have the best Key Lime Pie. Better than Sex dessert company is also really delicious. 

We didn't visit and of the other keys, so I can't speak to them. I will say that the beaches on KW are downright terrible. The guidebook said other Keys had better beaches. 
  • We've been to KW three years in a row (2010,2011 and 2012). Reviews and pics inn the link above my siggy pic. Btw, it's not as cheap as you would think. All total for 4nights was $4500. (Air,car,room,excursions,food and drinks).
  • Wow thank you all for giving me so much information to work with! I think Key West it is!
  • We go to the Keys twice a year. Love it! You'll have a great time there. We call Key West "another country that you can drive to." It's truly unique. My most favorite place to stay is a B&B called the Mermaid and the Alligator. It is true perfection. You have to reserve it we'll in advance, though. Other places we've stayed and I recommend are: The Key West Bed and Breakfast, the Westin at Mallory Square, the Reach by Waldorf Astoria, and Southernmost on the Beach. Each is lovely, but the Mermaid is by far my favorite. The other posts are correct, you can really spend some cash in KW, especially depending on the time of year. We usually spend $3000-4000. We live about 6 hours away and drive down. Once you get there, though, you won't need your car at all. I recommend the Fury snorkel or sunset cruise. It's usually about $35 and includes drinks. You have to get out on the water while you're there. There is so much good food in Key West! We eat and drink our way down Duvall and have many memories. Try Lattitudes. You take a ferry out to an island and eat right on the sand. Also, Islescapes is a sunset dinner cruise that only had us and one other couple on it. The Moët champagne cruise was awesome, too. We love to eat at Seven Fish, the Conch Republic, and Fogartys. However, the first thing we always do when we get there is have a drink at the Rum Bar. Seriously the best drinks ever. Hope this helps. It's just the beginning... Ooh! If you want relaxing tropical setting, spend a couple of nights in Islamorada at The Postcard Inn. It's right on the water and gorgeous. They have plenty of nice places around to eat at (Try Lazy Days!) and all kinds of water activities. Congratulations and have fun!
  • I went to Tranquility Bay on Marathon Key and loved it! You get your own little townhouse. Plenty of activities. 

• Definitely Key West. If you want to save money, look into renting an apartment/condo instead of staying at a hotel. I did that last time I was there. I had a two bedroom condo with a full kitchen. And it was just s short cab ride to Duvall. 
  • We live about 5 hours from Miami, and once you get on the road that goes out to the Keys, it takes forever to get out there. 

We spent the first day/night in Key Largo, which is really just a collection of little convenience stores, gas stations, and old time motels on the side of the big highway.  Once we took the required photo of the boat that was used in making the movie "Key Largo," there's nothing to do.

The next day we drove hours and hours to get to Key West, which was jammed with people everywhere.  We went in July, which is the low tourist time in Florida, so I expected the place to be pretty empty and I expected there to be room to breathe - but there were people everywhere and every tourist stop was jammed on top of the other tourist stops. 

For example, we wanted to go to the Hemingway House, so we drove over there, and DH let me out in front. I had to wait in line to get to the ticket booth, and it was something like $20 each, so I called DH on the cell phone and he still hadn't found anywhere to park, and he came back around and picked me up.

For example, we went over to take a photo of the "Southernmost Point."  But we went three times and the line was over 90 minutes long, including early morning the day we were leaving.  So we have photos of other people at the Southernmost Point, taken from the car.

For example, it was awful just trying to walk along on the sidewalks - loads of teenagers in bathing suits, drunk people lurching around being very brazen about talking to everyone, bunches of tourists.  We ended up going down a side road off of Duval Street, but it was dark and just as jammed with people in those bars. 

The food was adequate at best, and overpriced.  Best meal we had was at the hotel, on the back patio where they have various acts as the sun sets (like a guy with trained cats, etc.) - but we had a $100 gift card from DH's parents for our anniversary dinner or we wouldn't have been able to do that because it was very overpriced there too.

Couldn't wait to leave.  Won't go back.  FYI.
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    We live about 5 hours from Miami, and once you get on the road that goes out to the Keys, it takes forever to get out there. 

We spent the first day/night in Key Largo, which is really just a collection of little convenience stores, gas stations, and old time motels on the side of the big highway.  Once we took the required photo of the boat that was used in making the movie "Key Largo," there's nothing to do.

The next day we drove hours and hours to get to Key West, which was jammed with people everywhere.  We went in July, which is the low tourist time in Florida, so I expected the place to be pretty empty and I expected there to be room to breathe - but there were people everywhere and every tourist stop was jammed on top of the other tourist stops. 

Really?  We were in Key Largo with a group of people and drove into Key West for the day.  It was 2 hours each way.  It really wasn't that bad, especially with the beautiful views along the way!

ETA - I would LOVE to go back.....one day was not enough in Key West.  I've already looked at the hotel suggestions by PPs and I'm taking notes for the future!
  • JoanE2012 said:

We live about 5 hours from Miami, and once you get on the road that goes out to the Keys, it takes forever to get out there. 

Really?  We were in Key Largo with a group of people and drove into Key West for the day.  It was 2 hours each way.  It really wasn't that bad, especially with the beautiful views along the way!

Agree with you Joan. Of the three times we've been to KW we've done the drive twice. The first time from MIA in and it was 3 1/2 hrs the second time from MIA to Key Largo,stayed there one night, then from Key Largo to KW, it was a couple hr. drive...in the pouring rain at that.

All three times we've gone towards the end of June (our anniversary) and although it's crowded it's not that bad. If I'm saying that,it really isn't that bad as I hate crowds.

Don't drive there and expect to keep the car and drive around. KW is a walking town not a driving town (although scooters are widly used). Either rent a car in MIA and drop it off at KW airport then take a cab to the hotel, then fly home out of KW airport (that's what we've done) or find a hotel that has free parking and leave it parked.

• JoanE2012 said:

Completely agree.  H and I flew into Miami and then drove to Key West.  It took us about 3 hours (and that is not including our lunch pit stop).  I am not sure where these "hours and hours" of driving are coming from.  And like Joan said, the scenery will keep you occupied as you drive down.

• I went to Key West two years ago (I think). I flew from Newark to Fort Lauderdale and from there took a 19 seater to Key West airport. My parents took their RV down there and stayed here: http://www.bluewaterkey.net/ so if that's your thing, that could be an option and less money.

Agree with other posters that it's a walking town. I HATED driving there, the people walking and scooters are more frequent than cars.

All in all, we had a good time, would I go back? Absolutely.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I also drove from Miami to KW and that didn't take hours and hours. KW is great and it's definitely a walking town. I hate crowds and was there during tourist season and it really wasn't that bad.
  • My FI and I went last April for 3 days in the Keys. We stayed in Key Largo, stay away from the Hilton Key Largo...it wasn't as clean as we would have liked, and half of the things for the breakfast were out of order or unavailable. Also, the room we were in had a beautiful view of the water through the trees, but we couldn't leave the slider door open for the air off the water as we had hoped because from the beach it was very easy to just climb over the railing and into the room. The pool was also very teeny. The one good thing about the hotel was they had on-site jet skis which were awesome. We drove out to Key West on our second day, took 2 hours each way. We had dinner at Latitudes which was delicious, but expensive, then we went to Better than Sex for dessert (OMG amazing). The only thing I didn't like was that we thought there would be more to do in between our dinner and dessert reservations. Neither of us is big into bar-hopping and clubbing, so we were hoping to take in the little shops and see some of the other attractions. It could have been the time of year we went, but it seemed like after sunset the only things open were some convienence stores, bars, and a few restaurants. We did enjoy the trip though, and maybe the next time we'll try to plan our day out a little better to accommodate things we like to do.
  • edited April 2014
    We go to the Keys twice a year. Love it! You'll have a great time there. We call Key West "another country that you can drive to." It's truly unique. My most favorite place to stay is a B&B called the Mermaid and the Alligator. It is true perfection. You have to reserve it we'll in advance, though. Other places we've stayed and I recommend are: The Key West Bed and Breakfast, the Westin at Mallory Square, the Reach by Waldorf Astoria, and Southernmost on the Beach. Each is lovely, but the Mermaid is by far my favorite. The other posts are correct, you can really spend some cash in KW, especially depending on the time of year. We usually spend $3000-4000. We live about 6 hours away and drive down. Once you get there, though, you won't need your car at all. I recommend the Fury snorkel or sunset cruise. It's usually about $35 and includes drinks. You have to get out on the water while you're there. There is so much good food in Key West! We eat and drink our way down Duvall and have many memories. Try Lattitudes. You take a ferry out to an island and eat right on the sand. Also, Islescapes is a sunset dinner cruise that only had us and one other couple on it. The Moët champagne cruise was awesome, too. We love to eat at Seven Fish, the Conch Republic, and Fogartys. However, the first thing we always do when we get there is have a drink at the Rum Bar. Seriously the best drinks ever. Hope this helps. It's just the beginning... Ooh! If you want relaxing tropical setting, spend a couple of nights in Islamorada at The Postcard Inn. It's right on the water and gorgeous. They have plenty of nice places around to eat at (Try Lazy Days!) and all kinds of water activities. Congratulations and have fun!
    FI and I were just in KW three weeks ago for a wedding and stayed at a B&B a few down from the Mermaid and the Alligator (We talked about it every time we walked past!)  We flew into Miami and drove down, took about 3 1/2 hours.  We parked and didn't get into the car again until we left.  It truly is totally walkable.

Also, yes- eat at Seven Fish, it was AMAZING!

ETA: I have also stayed in Islamorada in a resort, but that was 10 years ago and I don't remember the name of it at all.  It was nice but we drove every time we wanted to do something, I much preferred KW.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Forgot to mention the drive! From Miami to KW is about 3 hours, but it is stunning! We just went last week for a couple days. I don't mind the drive at all...it's quality time with my fiancé. He's my captive audience for a few hours! :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards