Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Freaking out about dress size..!

JoSheenJoSheen member
First Comment
edited April 2014 in Attire & Accessories Forum
I bought a Mori Lee dress on sale for ~$170 on clearance at a bridal shop a few months ago. My wedding is in 6 months. When I tried the dress on in the shop of course it seemed a little big, also very heavy because it's silk. It's a corset and we pulled it in as far as it would go and it was slipping off slightly, but I didn't think anything of it. They told me it was a size 8, which I figured was okay.. a little big but nothing to freak out about. I'm a street size 0/2... last night I went and checked my receipt, trying to find out the exact material of the dress (worried about rain damaging it), and noticed that the dress is size 10. Holy crow, is it even going to be possible to alter that without the alterations costing more than I paid for the dress? I'm panicking. Our budget is so small, I can't afford a whole new dress!  Does anyone have an input? What should I do?! I have an appointment to just try on the dress on Monday, but haven't officially talked to a seamstress, and the one the shop offers is always unavailable. 

Edit to add: oops! I made a mistake. It's satin, not silk :P

Re: Freaking out about dress size..!

• Options
    manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Ok, first, breathe. 

Second, have a drink.

Third, realize that dress sizes are often very different than street sizes. My dress is two sizes bigger than my street size. Don't freak out about the numbers because they don't mean much - like at all. You might be a size 6 or 8 in Mori Lee.  

Fourth, go talk to a seamstress. Post on your local board and scour through reviews to find a reputable seamstress in your budget and see what she says. 
  • Options
    PDKH - haha I'll drink to #2!

The only thing that worries me is I've looked up my dress on used wedding sites, and one girl had a size 10 for sale, and it seems to fit her better than mine fits me, and she said the alterations were going to cost too much to be worth it so she's just selling the dress. All the girls I've seen ( though I've only found about 4 brides total) wore between a 10 and 12 of the dress and they're all at LEAST 6 inches taller than me! I'm 5'0 ... Honestly I've considered letting it just drag, but we've just recently changed to an outside venue on concrete and my poor dress would be in shreds. It's a bubble hem.. beautiful, but a pain to hem, probably. I'll definitely post around to some seamstresses in my area and see what they say!
  • Options
    Take it to a seamstress now to get an idea of costs. But don't start alterations yet. If it's outrageous or they think it can't be done, it's better to find out now.
  • Options
    Also. Call the salon and tell them you'll need to meet with the seamstress when you are there on Monday and see if they can make sure she is there.
  • Options
    I think the alterations will be doable but probably cost at least what you paid for the dress if you go to a good seamstress. I bought my dress off the rack and its a 10. I am street size 4, and a 6 in most bridal. The shop owner is also the seamstress and she assured me she could alter even a 14 to fit me and that whether I bought a size 8 or 10 or bigger, the alterations cost would be equal. She said "it just means I'm cutting more inches off". I'm sure there is more to it than that but she has great reviews. However, her assistant told me to expect 200-300 for alterations including the sizing, bustle, cups sewn in, and hem if needed. I'm sure there are cheaper seamstresses out there but with your big size change and height it might not be realistic to get a quality job done for less than your dress price... Good luck and let us know how it goes
  • Options
    Alterations will change significantly depending on embellishments on the dress. If they have to remove and replace beading, etc., it will be more.

My alterations were $360 and my dress was my size.
  • Options
    I have been told to expect alterations to be roughly in the 250 range. This is for a hem and a bustle and taking in at the bust. That being said I have a lace dress that no longer fit because i am now pregnant. I bought a mori lee dress with a corset back and it's a size or two bigger to account for my change, with the fabric change I'm not sure how much to expect for alterations.

I agree with queerfemme to at least consult with a seamstress about the cost of alterations. I'd say you won't get them for under the cost of the dress but you'll at least be around the cost of the dress.
  • Options
    $170 is a steal for a wedding dress.  I would fully expect to pay at least that much for alterations.

As others have said, bridal sizes tend to run small, so don't let the tag throw you too much.  It's much easier to take a dress in than let it out and the corset back will help out.  I bought a sample wedding dress that was about 3 sizes bigger than I actually needed.  Alterations cost me around $250 IIRC -- that included sizing it properly, adding bra cups, hemming and bustling.
  • Options
    Talk to a seamstress. I bought a Mori Lee gown. I am a street size 0 and they got me a size 2 for the dress and it fits perfectly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards