Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Does anyone else have engagement and wedding rings that don't go together?

Hi everyone! I am a bit new here. I just wanted to share and see if anyone else is doing the same thing. I absolutely adore my engagement ring, it's very unique and pretty and different. However, I didn't want to pair a wedding band with it because I thought it would distract from the ring. I also wanted something a little more bridal and sparkly. So I have two very different rings! My engagement ring will move to my right ring finger after we get married and my wedding ring will be worn on my left, of course. Anyone else doing something similar? I feel like such a lucky gal getting to have two unique and beautiful rings :D

Here's my engagement ring, alexandrite stone (my birthstone! Changes from purple to green depending on the light, so cool!) and trinity side knots (a nod to my Irish heritage as well as the everlasting commitment we're making to each other). I adore it! He picked it out himself.

And here is my wedding ring, blue topaz center stone and diamond halo. So sparkly! I am in love. The side detail is so cool!

Re: Does anyone else have engagement and wedding rings that don't go together?

• Options
    Beautiful rings! I really like the setting of your engagement ring.
  • Options
    Thank you! It's really comfortable and fits so well. I am going to have to get used to my wedding ring because it's so much bigger. 
  • Options
       My engagement and wedding rings won't match unless I use my engagement ring as my wedding ring also. My engagement ring has Mickey Mouse on it (It IS a nice piece of jewelry, not a 15$ ring from the gift store in the park or anything) because we are both huge Disney fans. 

I love it so much I almost don't want to get anything else. I may get a plain band for those times I don't want to wear Mickey, or if I find something else I also like I may get that and switch my engagement ring to my right hand after we are married. 

Both of your rings are beautiful, BTW. I am not a fan of diamonds myself so if I were getting a non-Disney ring I'd probably get something like yours. 
  • Options
    @Fairyjen1 - can you post a pic of your ring? I'm a big disney fan too - just wanna see how it looks!!
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Options
    I love the wedding ring from the side angle.  My wedding band doesn't exactly match my engagement ring but I plan on wearing them together.  
  • Options
    My engagement ring is nothing too ornate or original, it's a marquise-cut, gold banded diamond ring, but how do you match a band with it? I haven't been able to find any I like, and wanted to just get a simple band to match my fiance's wedding band but he insists I keep my engagement ring.

• Options

just be prepared to have people think that your wedding ring is an engagement ring.

• Options
    kaos16 said:

just be prepared to have people think that your wedding ring is an engagement ring.

Yeah for sure. And that's fine. If they ask why I don't have a "wedding band," I'll just explain that he proposed with my right hand ring and I got the blue one as my wedding ring, and I don't want a band with it because I love the side detail so much. Maybe people will think I'm weird? But that's ok with me!! I enjoy being a little different and non-traditional.

@Fairyjen1, thank you, and I'd love to see your Mickey ring! Sounds awesome and adorable :)
  • Options
    Fairyjen1Fairyjen1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
          Here is the picture off the site FI ordered from. I'll get a picture of the actual ring when I get home. It doesn't photograph well with my phone. 

It's from Bradford Exchange. It wasn't very expensive. I'm just not a fine jewelry girl and I seem to eventually mangle anything nice I get, LOL. It's actually three rings and I will sometimes wear only one of the bands. I just liked it and thought it was fun. If I lose it or it gets banged up we won't be out thousands of dollars. 

I'm looking at a custom Mickey ring from an Etsy seller for my actual wedding band. If I go that route I will switch this one to my right hand. 

I haven't had a single person say anything to may face yet about how its not real diamonds or a traditional engagement ring. I'm sure there are probably some behind my back but I have a thick skin and I can take it. The only ones who have to like it are Fi and I!
  • Options
    FI and I both wear sterling silver claddagh rings I bought at a renaissance fair 8 years ago as our engagement rings.

I thought about upgrading but FI wants to wait and have something special for our wedding bands. Thinking something with a little more sparkle.
  • Options
    Fairyjen1 said:
          Here is the picture off the site FI ordered from. I'll get a picture of the actual ring when I get home. It doesn't photograph well with my phone. 

It's from Bradford Exchange. It wasn't very expensive. I'm just not a fine jewelry girl and I seem to eventually mangle anything nice I get, LOL. It's actually three rings and I will sometimes wear only one of the bands. I just liked it and thought it was fun. If I lose it or it gets banged up we won't be out thousands of dollars. 

I'm looking at a custom Mickey ring from an Etsy seller for my actual wedding band. If I go that route I will switch this one to my right hand. 

I haven't had a single person say anything to may face yet about how its not real diamonds or a traditional engagement ring. I'm sure there are probably some behind my back but I have a thick skin and I can take it. The only ones who have to like it are Fi and I!
    Oh it's so cool! Love it!!! I love non traditional rings :D 
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    FI and I both wear sterling silver claddagh rings I bought at a renaissance fair 8 years ago as our engagement rings.

I thought about upgrading but FI wants to wait and have something special for our wedding bands. Thinking something with a little more sparkle.
    Awesome idea! I love claddagh rings, too. It will be fun to get something sparkly as a wedding band! Would you switch your claddagh to your right hand, then?
  • Options
    Your ring is beautiful!! Well all the ones that people put pictures up of are gorgeous, and love when they are nontraditional and have special meaning to the couple. My Ering and Wedding band won't match, we would have to custom make a wedding band to match my Ering, and I'm really actually ok with finding something that doesn't exactly match because I like that look, and will still wear them together, but I'm also one where I will have a slight gap too, to each their own! Enjoy and congrats ladies!
  • Options
    Hi there,

I think both rings are beautiful.  He could always get you a band on your 1 year anniversary to go with the ring.  My rings will be two different as well, however I got a band of 5 diamonds at our 5 year dating mark and then my engagement ring I got is a solitaire with diamonds around it with a blue sapphire on the sides of it. My favorite color is blue so it's a little hidden treasure that I can see.  I am going to size my anniversary band down and put it with my engagement ring even though they don't match because it is more sentimental for me.  We have been together for 8 years.  Congrats!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards