Wedding Etiquette Forum

Unplugged Wedding - Thoughts?

191011121315»

Re: Unplugged Wedding - Thoughts?

• I had never considered whether our wedding should be unplugged or plugged.  Now I'm kind of liking the idea (mentioned once or twice) of encouraging guests to take as many pictures as possible and figuring out how to do the whole hashtag thing.  That sounds fun- if only I were as popular on social media as some of the rest of you.

I read this whole thread, and I'm still not really coming away with any positive reason to forbid your guests from taking photographs.  I'm not getting the big debate here!!

There's a free app, WedPics, you can use.  As the bride, or Groom, you create the initial account and "event" and them your event is given an ID number that you can share with your guests.  They download the app, enter your event ID number, and then they can share and view crowdsourced pictures and videos.

I like this better than using Instagram because Instagram accounts and images are public, and I don't necessarily want all of the internet able to view images of me, and my friends and family.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I have been to weddings before this issue ever came up and some since cell phones have become a persistent presence. Before some of you say I am just an old woman complaining. I am 36. Old enough to know the old times but also in touch with today.
    You would think it is a matter of common sense but etiquette hasn't quite caught up with technology. We are asked to turn our phones off or on silent for movies and not to take pictures at events yet people still have their phones out. In addition, you are investing in your photographer and should trust that the'll get the shots necessary. As a guest at a couple weddings I couldn't see the wedding party because people in front of me had their phones up taking pictures repeatedly during the ceremony. I much preferred the weddings where everyone was present in the moment sharing a very beautiful event without the distraction of cell phones. I can also speak from the standpoint of a photographer. I helped a friend out with taking pictures for her wedding. I would have gotten the perfect shots except for the 20 cell phones floating over the heads of the guests blocking the view of the whole wedding party. The picture quality of those cell phone shots would not have been able to match what I was going to capture. 
    Every one always says "it is your day!"  What do you want to see in your pictures?  Are people focused on what is happening in front of them or what they are viewing on their cell phone screen?  For what it's worth my Fiance is a HUGE cell phone guy. He is never unplugged EVER! Yet after he observed the same things that I have at weddings we came to an agreement on how we will address this issue. That's right!  We will kindly be requesting that our guests unplug. If they're going to get their panties in a wad over a small request like this (that they would do for a movie theater, etc) then I guess they aren't the understanding friends I thought them to be.
    Please do not mistake yourself for a quality, professional photographer.

I feel bad for your guests.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • For those complaining about guests not being "present in the moment," what could possibly make them focus more on you in your special moment than when they're taking a picture of you? Seriously, that actually requires your guests to be staring directly at you and focusing on you. Isn't that what you want?
  • I think it would be better to have the officiant say something before the ceremony begins.

It's a little bit less rude but still gets your point accross.
  • I've asked that our commissioner make an announcement just before the ceremony, which essentially asks guests not to use flash photography, and to turn off their ringers during the ceremony.  Other than that, I've made the choice to embrace technology, knowing full well cellphones will come out at SOME point, and have opened an account with a wedding picture app (WedPics).  If they insist on being attached to their phones, at least I might get some cute candids out of them!
  • Karinne14Karinne14 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2014

When I attend weddings, I do not take pictures.  I prefer to be completely attentive to the sanctity of the moment happening in front of me.  Plus, how annoying is it to have pictures of your wedding flooded with your guests' devices instead of your guests faces?!  Not to mention everyone and their mother getting in the way of the photographers/videographers and ruining their shots (that you are spending good money on)! 

So I say, it's your wedding day.  You go ahead and do what you want to do.  You are going to offend someone no matter what you decide to do.  Not everyone will approve of everything about your wedding anyways. 

Take it one step further and have a sign asking people not to post pictures on social media! That's what I'll be doing.  My wedding is my day.  We've invited the people we want to share in the day, and we don't feel it is the guests' job to share our private wedding with the facebook world.  You can write "Please, Respect this intimate moment by not posting photos on social networks. Thank you."

• Karinne14 said:

When I attend weddings, I do not take pictures.  I prefer to be completely attentive to the sanctity of the moment happening in front of me.  Plus, how annoying is it to have pictures of your wedding flooded with your guests' devices instead of your guests faces?!  Not to mention everyone and their mother getting in the way of the photographers/videographers and ruining their shots (that you are spending good money on)! 

So I say, it's your wedding day.  You go ahead and do what you want to do.  You are going to offend someone no matter what you decide to do.  Not everyone will approve of everything about your wedding anyways. 

Take it one step further and have a sign asking people not to post pictures on social media! That's what I'll be doing.  My wedding is my day.  We've invited the people we want to share in the day, and we don't feel it is the guests' job to share our private wedding with the facebook world.  You can write "Please, Respect this intimate moment by not posting photos on social networks. Thank you."

Nope. Did you read any of this thread at all?
  • Fucking Pinterest.

• Nope. Did you read any of this thread at all?
    It appears a lot of people missed an important lesson in school.

~*~*~*~*~

• The more you knooooooooow!
  • Someone must be behind on their emails.
  • zufrazufra member
    First Comment
    edited July 2014
    I wouldn't mind if I was asked to "unplug". Sure, it's common sense to silence phone and not make calls, but not everyone will think of not taking pictures, etc. So I honestly don't see the problem. I feel like some people get too sensitive about simple requests and are offended way too easily. I'm also considering asking guests to unplug and honestly, if they are offended, they can leave if they want... a wedding is all about the couple (and their families joining as one) and those who are truly there to celebrate the couple's love won't mind and will be more than happy to respect the couple's wishes. And those who don't care and are going to take pictures anyway, are going to do it so it shouldn't matter if they were offended because they weren't to respectful themselves.

:)
  • We did not request an unplugged wedding. We trusted our guests to be adults and not jump in the way of the photographers. And wouldn't ya know it, not a single cell phone went off during our ceremony and the photographers never mentioned anyone getting in their way.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• You would make sure you were 100 percent plugged in? You are obviously petulant and rude then. Don't Ever go to the movies! I'd hate to be stuck in a theater with you!
  • kwinnypoo said:
    You would make sure you were 100 percent plugged in? You are obviously petulant and rude then. Don't Ever go to the movies! I'd hate to be stuck in a theater with you!

A) did you even read the thread?
     B) why did you pull up a several months old thread just to argue with someone you didn't even quote?
    C) what did you search for?
  • kwinnypoo said:
    You would make sure you were 100 percent plugged in? You are obviously petulant and rude then. Don't Ever go to the movies! I'd hate to be stuck in a theater with you!
    Wow. That was a totally relevant comment nearly 6 months after the last one. You really showed us kwinnypoo.

Anniversary
  • @slothiegal - your thoughts on closing this shit show? 4 months later and 15 pages....
    *********************************************************************************

• slothiegalslothiegal member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    Jesus christ, yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and close this.
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards