Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Unplugged Wedding - Thoughts?

Re: Unplugged Wedding - Thoughts?

• Options
    KGold80 said:

We've decided to have an unplugged ceremony as well. We don't like the idea of looking out at our friends and family and seeing a sea of iPhones. We want people to be present with us as we say our vows and not trying to get the best shot. That's why we spent a bunch of money on a great photographer! I guess in this case I don't really care if guests get offended. The ceremony part of the wedding IS completely about us. We've bent over backward to accommodate all of our guests for the reception. The least they can do is keep their phone in their pocket/purse and respect our wishes for the ceremony.

That said, I like the wording you're thinking of using. Would you mind if I borrow and tweak it? :)

I hate when Bride's trot out that ridiculous "we want our guests to be fully present and in the moment" phrase.

People can take a few pictures AND still pay 100% attention to you at the same time. What do you think they are taking pictures of, for Pete's sake? It sure ain't the pew bows!

Relax. You will still be the center of everyone's attention. . .even without using an obnoxious poem or saying from the internet.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I personally am the kind of person who takes like 50 photos at every event I go to.  I like to scrapbook and print photos and it would bother me if I couldn't take photos.  

If a pastor asked us to turn off flash, I would happily oblige.  If someone asked me not to take photos, I would probably still do it anyway.  It's just a natural habit of mine to take my phone out at events and take photos.  I legit was almost asked to leave an aquarium when I forgot they said no photos of the dolphin show and I was on my phone about to take a photo.

• Options
    KGold80 said:
    I don't think our guests will actually be offended by the request because we're having a relatively small wedding and we know the family and friends who will be attending pretty well. I think it's another one of those "know your crowd" things. Flashes from camera phones taken at the exact same time as the photographer can actually cause professional images to be washed out. You can ask people to turn their flashes off until the cows come home, but chances are good some won't know how or won't bother. I don't really want our professional wedding photos to be ruined.
    I don't quite get how if asking people to turn off the flash won't work, asking them to not take pictures will work. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    I would also like to add that I have a handful of pictures taken by guests that are some of my favorite of the day.  If we had told people not to take pictures then I wouldn't have those favorites.

• Options
    chibiyui said:
    KGold80 said:
    I don't think our guests will actually be offended by the request because we're having a relatively small wedding and we know the family and friends who will be attending pretty well. I think it's another one of those "know your crowd" things. Flashes from camera phones taken at the exact same time as the photographer can actually cause professional images to be washed out. You can ask people to turn their flashes off until the cows come home, but chances are good some won't know how or won't bother. I don't really want our professional wedding photos to be ruined.
    I don't quite get how if asking people to turn off the flash won't work, asking them to not take pictures will work. 
    That's probably a good point.

I think THIS article is what did it for me. How awful to have the professional pictures ruined. :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    l9il9i member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    KGold80 said:
    chibiyui said:
    KGold80 said:

I think THIS article is what did it for me. How awful to have the professional pictures ruined. :(
    Yes!  This and speaking with my photographer.  Like I said, I don't think there will be a problem with people physically in the way, but i do see flash being a potential issue.
  • Options
    KGold80 said:
    chibiyui said:
    KGold80 said:

Oh, I read that one too. I was also looking at unplugged ceremonies a while back as well. I would be very unhappy to have a picture blocked like some of those are. 

BUT. If someone is enough of an ass to stand in the aisle, they're enough of an ass to lean of swags and ignore the unplugged request to begin with. So, I decided to err on the side of caution in regards to my non-asshole guests, and worry with the assholes later. After some wine :)

Anniversary
  • Options
    KGold80 said:
    chibiyui said:
    KGold80 said:

Most professional photographers are full euipped to handle the excess flash from guests and can adjust accordingly. Hopefully your photographer has enough experience to know this.

• Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    wrong topic lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    chibiyui said:
    KGold80 said:
    chibiyui said:
    KGold80 said:

Oh, I read that one too. I was also looking at unplugged ceremonies a while back as well. I would be very unhappy to have a picture blocked like some of those are. 

BUT. If someone is enough of an ass to stand in the aisle, they're enough of an ass to lean of swags and ignore the unplugged request to begin with. So, I decided to err on the side of caution in regards to my non-asshole guests, and worry with the assholes later. After some wine :)
    This.  If your guests is going to be an asshole and get in your photographers way, a cute poem, ribbon blocking the aisle, and a request from the officiant will not stop that guest from being an asshole.  Instead you just risk irritating your other polite guests who would not dream is acting so inappropriately.

It is like trying to dictate or manage or guests attire.  Most of your guests know how to dress appropriately.  Those that don't will still dress like idiots even if you try and manage it.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    lolo883 said:

I have the unpopular opinion of being SOMEWHAT in favor of an unplugged ceremony... but it really is a stretch to tell people how much they should "be there in the moment." It's your moment, not theirs. You can't control how they react or feel about it. I'll be blocking off the aisle with a lace swag and asking people not to take their own photography because it has been annoying to me at every wedding I've ever been at when people stand up, lean out, or obstruct the aisle during the wedding to take pictures with their bright ass phone and audible digital shutter noise. The request is to keep my other guests from being pissed off by this AND to keep from mucking up my pictures, NOT about telling them how they need to personally experience anything. But hell, you wanna liveblog my damn wedding on Twitter or text your babysitter go right ahead, as long as you can do it from the privacy of your own lap.

I agree with the very 1st part of your post, but. .

Again, you can ask all you want but ppl will still take pictures if they want. Sorry not sorry but I would still take a few, because as a guest I'm sure as shit not going to buy them from your photographer. I also know how to disable the shutter sound on a phone and how not to use a flash.

If I'm coming to your wedding then you are either family or a friend and I like to have photos of big events in the lives of ppl I care about.

Guests who get annoyed or pissed off at other guests for taking photos of their loved ones at a wedding should probably have a drink or two in the parking lot to take the edge off, sheesh!

ETA: I have been to/in 30some weddings now and the bolded has never, ever been an issue at any wedding I have been to.  No one has ever stepped out into the aisle during the ceremony, nor blocked the photographers' shots, nor ruined a shot by using a flash, etc.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    l9il9i member
    KGold80 said:
    chibiyui said:
    KGold80 said:

Yes!  This and speaking with my photographer.  Like I said, I don't think there will be a problem with people physically in the way, but i do see flash being a potential issue.
  • Options
    Someone stepped right out into the aisle to take pictures at 2 of my DDs' weddings. At bioDD #1's wedding 9 years ago her step aunt went all the way out into the aisle to take pics. At stepdd's wedding the same year her MOTHER stepped right out into the middle of the aisle and snapped as many frames as she could with her digital camera. The photographer didn't get a good coming down the aisle picture at all.

I had a chat with our DOC and she said she sees people doing this all the time. Our photographer for the upcoming wedding in June also has a clause in his contract stating that there be no photography during the ceremony. Either DOC or ex-h, who is also the officiant, will make an announcement prior to the ceremony starting.

Our photographer was shooting a wedding where he had a wide stance with his feet and he looked down to find the bride's uncle going between his legs to shoot a photo too. The guy looked up at him and said "hey, I didn't want to be in your way..."

I absolutely disagree with asking people to be present in the moment - that is insulting, but we are asking for no photography because it is in the photographer's contract to do so.
  • Options

I think you'll be surprised at how little you'll notice during your ceremony.  YOU are so in the moment that it's like nothing else exists.  Apparently a baby cried during our ceremony. I had no idea. I can't tell you if anyone used flash during our ceremony, not even our pro photographer. I don't know if the bridal party came up and stood on the stairs of the altar like we'd planned the night before at the rehearsal. I didn't know that someone walked in 10 minutes late.

• Options
    l9il9i member
    I think, as with all things, the "news" of everything BAD far outweighs everything good.

I take pictures at weddings, without flash, without standing up, without leaning into the aisle. I have never been to a wedding where guests taking photos was an issue. 

Sometimes guests just so happen to get some of the best shots too, as PP's have said. 
    Photographers are brazen about getting the best shots and won't let obnoxious people get in their way.

That being said, for the first time ever I saw a wedding hashtag, for an old high school acquaintance through Instagram.  I have no idea how they got the tag going, but I rifled through a good 90 photos from their rehearsal dinner and wedding and, while some of the photos are poor quality, many of them are fabulous.  It's an added bonus for the couple to have such fun photos of their special day, in addition to whatever official they'll get several weeks from now.   

"Unplugged" trend seems to be an overreaction to the b.s. news stories out there. 

I've seen this done.  Most times they've communicated it to guests via the program, etc to use a specific instagram tag.  I think this is a great idea to get all sorts of candid photos of guests from the reception.  I've seen some do this instead of a photographer.  The last wedding I was at did something like this and it was ok, there were a couple really good pictures, but most were ehh.

• Options
    KGold80 said:
    chibiyui said:
    KGold80 said:

I think the article is BS.  I have never ever seen pro photos that bad, and all bc guests were taking photos.

The professional photographers should be taking multiple photos a second/minute, whatever!  You know, they press the button on their cameras and *click click click click click* they have just taken 5 pictures.

Guests' camera flash washing out or ruining ALL of the shots really shouldn't be an issue.

Don't worry about it. . . trust your photographers!

• Options
    I've been in 3 weddings in the past 12 months - 2 of which were unplugged. We will be doing the same for our ceremony. We put it on our wedding website and will be having our officiant ask our guests to do so as well.

For the rest of our festivities cameras are welcomed and encouraged. We even have a wedding app for people to post to. 

Out of a whole weekend of festivities - we ask people put the phones away for 15 minutes. If they don't, I'm not going bridezilla and diving across the aisle to club someone out. It'll all work out.
  • Options
    kmmssg said:
    Someone stepped right out into the aisle to take pictures at 2 of my DDs' weddings. At bioDD #1's wedding 9 years ago her step aunt went all the way out into the aisle to take pics. At stepdd's wedding the same year her MOTHER stepped right out into the middle of the aisle and snapped as many frames as she could with her digital camera. The photographer didn't get a good coming down the aisle picture at all.

I had a chat with our DOC and she said she sees people doing this all the time. Our photographer for the upcoming wedding in June also has a clause in his contract stating that there be no photography during the ceremony. Either DOC or ex-h, who is also the officiant, will make an announcement prior to the ceremony starting.

Our photographer was shooting a wedding where he had a wide stance with his feet and he looked down to find the bride's uncle going between his legs to shoot a photo too. The guy looked up at him and said "hey, I didn't want to be in your way..."

I absolutely disagree with asking people to be present in the moment - that is insulting, but we are asking for no photography because it is in the photographer's contract to do so.
    Really?  How is that going to work?  Is he going to take everyone's phones and cameras from them or take legal action against anyone who dares to take a photo during the ceremony?

If I was a guest and I heard the officiant say, "As per the clause in the photographer's contract, no photos are allowed to be taken during the ceremony," I'd roll my eyes so hard. . . and I'd still probably take photos.  That is waaaay too pretentious and obnoxious to me.

• Options
    KGold80 said:
    chibiyui said:
    KGold80 said:

I think the article is BS.  I have never ever seen pro photos that bad, and all bc guests were taking photos.

The professional photographers should be taking multiple photos a second/minute, whatever!  You know, they press the button on their cameras and *click click click click click* they have just taken 5 pictures.

Guests' camera flash washing out or ruining ALL of the shots really shouldn't be an issue.

The article probably used the few crappy shots that photographers get (shit does happen) and didn't make any mention of the thousands of great shots that the couple receives.  That article is crap.

Professional photographers know what they are doing.

Again, super tired of people trying to control other people.  You know how often I thought about what my guests may or may not do during my ceremony/reception?  Never.  I didn't care what people wore, how much they drank, if they showed up late or left early, if they took pictures or not, if they ate 10 cupcakes or just one.  All I cared about was that I hosted them properly and that they had a good time.  Period.

• Options
    KGold80 said:
    chibiyui said:
    KGold80 said:

The article probably used the few crappy shots that photographers get (shit does happen) and didn't make any mention of the thousands of great shots that the couple receives Yep.  That article is crap.

Professional photographers know what they are doing.  So. Much. This.

Again, super tired of people trying to control other people.  You know how often I thought about what my guests may or may not do during my ceremony/reception?  Never.  I didn't care what people wore, how much they drank, if they showed up late or left early, if they took pictures or not, if they ate 10 cupcakes or just one.  All I cared about was that I hosted them properly and that they had a good time.  Period.  BOOM!
    The images in that article look like they have been edited in Photoshop to look that bad.  And to me they look like really obvious, bad edits, lol.

• Options
    Yeah, if you have a photographer worth their salt, they will know how to get a great shot even if you have people in the way and using flash.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    kmmssg said:
    kmmssg said:

Really?  How is that going to work?  Is he going to take everyone's phones and cameras from them or take legal action against anyone who dares to take a photo during the ceremony?

If I was a guest and I heard the officiant say, "As per the clause in the photographer's contract, no photos are allowed to be taken during the ceremony," I'd roll my eyes so hard. . . and I'd still probably take photos.  That is waaaay too pretentious and obnoxious to me.

No, the DOC isn't going to say that it is part of the photographer's contract or demands but she will ask people to refrain from taking pictures during the ceremony.

In all honesty, if people can put their phones away for a business meeting, church, dinner out, or a movie, what is the big deal about doing it for a wedding?

People don't generally do that anymore.

Anyway, since it is in your photographers contract that an announcement is made then you have to do it.  But again, it won't stop people from taking pictures.

• Options
    I have the unpopular opinion of being SOMEWHAT in favor of an unplugged ceremony... but it really is a stretch to tell people how much they should "be there in the moment." It's your moment, not theirs. You can't control how they react or feel about it. I'll be blocking off the aisle with a lace swag and asking people not to take their own photography because it has been annoying to me at every wedding I've ever been at when people stand up, lean out, or obstruct the aisle during the wedding to take pictures with their bright ass phone and audible digital shutter noise. The request is to keep my other guests from being pissed off by this AND to keep from mucking up my pictures, NOT about telling them how they need to personally experience anything. But hell, you wanna liveblog my damn wedding on Twitter or text your babysitter go right ahead, as long as you can do it from the privacy of your own lap.

Again, you can ask all you want but ppl will still take pictures if they want. Sorry not sorry but I would still take a few, because as a guest I'm sure as shit not going to buy them from your photographer. I also know how to disable the shutter sound on a phone and how not to use a flash.

If I'm coming to your wedding then you are either family or a friend and I like to have photos of big events in the lives of ppl I care about.

Guests who get annoyed or pissed off at other guests for taking photos of their loved ones at a wedding should probably have a drink or two in the parking lot to take the edge off, sheesh!

ETA: I have been to/in 30some weddings now and the bolded has never, ever been an issue at any wedding I have been to.  No one has ever stepped out into the aisle during the ceremony, nor blocked the photographers' shots, nor ruined a shot by using a flash, etc.
    Oh hell no, the only way I'm even considering this is we're getting all rights-released digital images from our photographer which we'll be providing to anyone who wants them for free. I would NEVER ask anyone to pay for my photos. No no no.

• Options
    l9il9i member
    lolo883 said:

Oh hell no, the only way I'm even considering this is we're getting all rights-released digital images from our photographer which we'll be providing to anyone who wants them for free. I would NEVER ask anyone to pay for my photos. No no no.
    We will also be getting all photos on a disk and permission to share and print as much as we want.
  • Options
    My in laws each had a camera up the entire ceremony. I was facing them the majority of the time and I didn't have a clue until his uncle sent us pictures about two weeks later. You won't notice if someone takes a picture, trust me. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards