Registry and Gift Forum
Options

How many registries?

Hi Girls - Super quick - How many places are you all registering at? Is there a # of places that is too many? 

We have lived together for 6+ yrs and don't need too much....so we have some upgrades we plan to register for and then the rest of the stuff is all of the place. We have a list narrowed down, but it includes 4 different places to register (Crate & Barrel, Macy's, Target, & Home Depot). I feel like 4 registries is too many....maybe we should have 3 max? What do you girls think?

Thank you!

Re: How many registries?

• Options

It depends a lot on the size of your guest list.  I would find it very odd if you were inviting 50 people and registered at four places, but I probably wouldn't blink if you were inviting 400.

Generally speaking 2-3 places is okay depending on the size of your guest list. 

Keep in mind that Home Depot registries are ONLY for the local store you actually register at.  If someone goes to a different store or online they won't be able to find the information.  If you want home improvement items it would be better to do a universal registry (Amazon for instance) and add those items to that registry.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    I've read that 3 is generally the max. We did three - Macy's for the more formal china/nice linens, Target for everyday housewares and camping stuff, Williams Sonoma for kitchen goodies. 250 guests and 2 showers.

• Options
    We registered at 2 places, Macy's and BBB, with 150 guests.  I would probably limit it to 3 places unless your guest list is huge.
  • Options
    netskyblue2netskyblue2 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    I'll also say know your crowd, are they boxed gift-givers?  If not, you may not want so many registries.

I thought I knew my crowd, and would have sworn they WERE boxed gift givers...we registered at only one place, 45 items for about 60 invited guests.  And with 9 days to go, 6 people have bought off registry.  (I stalked it, shameful, I know.)  Sooo...we may end up with multiple various punchbowls and wall hangings...or we may not, who knows?

When I saw my cousin and his fiancee's massive registries for their wedding next month, my first thought was good grief, HOW many people are they inviting?  So unless you're having a really big wedding, and/or multiple showers, you may want to err on the small side, or you'll end up with lots of unpurchased things, and they may have been the things you most wanted!
  • Options
    I'm doing two but wouldn't side-eye more, especially if there were just only a few things on each.
  • Options

I don't think it matters how many registries you have, but more how many items you have on them. I am going to a wedding where the couple only registered at two stores, but there are at least 500 items! I am most certainly side-eyeing them.

It would most likely be easier for you to consolidate the items you want at Target and Home Depot and just make an Amazon registry. We wanted houseware items, and we quickly discovered most things were cheaper on Amazon. Yay free shipping! I have also heard the Target registry is not user friendly or reliable. I don't think this is something to dwell on though.

Anniversary

• Options

We thought about having three registries but after making a list of the 40-50 we wanted and comparing prices and selection at the three stores we found out we could include everything (and for a good price) by doing just 2 stores.  

If you have done something like this and still need to go to 4 stores to get the things on what I am assuming is a small list (given the background provided) then go for it. 

Normally I would eye roll at more than three registries but if I saw that they were all smaller and for things specific to that store I would get it. 

Also, HD is so limited I wouldn't even really count it as a 4th registry.  I could see that being more of a word of mouth registry since I personally would leave it off a shower invite (unless coed).  It could be nice to have though if they offer a completion discount and if someone that you think would like shopping there (and lived close to the specific store) asks you where you are registered. 

But keep in mind HD also makes for a popular gift card.  After our shower we had 3 or 4 items left on our BBB registry (we shut Target registry down after the shower---it was picked over and after returning duplicates we had more than enough store credit to buy the few things left on that registry).  At that point when people asked where we were registred we said we didn't have a registry and that we were currently working on improvements for our new house.  2 of the people that got that response from us gave us HD gift cards and the others gave us cash.  In this context making a registry at HD may be more hassle than it is worth if people are just as happy to give you a gift card to that store.

• Options
    Awesome advice ladies!! Thank you all so much! 
    I think we can consolidate our list into 3 registries, one of which will probably end up being Amazon. Thanks again everyone!
  • Options
    I have 4, but one only has bedding/towels cause we didn't like the options at the other stores. 

I'm a BM in a wedding in June where the bride has 9. NINE freaking registries. and there's at *least* 75-100 items for each store. she and her FI have been living together for the last 10 years (and none of their current furniture/household items are inexpensive to begin with) and I'm flabbergasted at how they *really* need an $800 vase from Tiffany's, etc. I love this girl, but total side-eyeing this thing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have two for 225 guests, PB and BBB. I would say 2-3 is normal.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My wedding will have close to 200 invited guests, and my fiance and I have 2 registries. One at Bed Bath and Beyond with 75 items on it and another at Macy's with about 30 items.

I'd say 1 to 3 registries is normal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards